Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old May 28th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Qstor2 Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Qstor2
Default Aslan and slavery

I noticed a bit about Aslan and slavery in the MgT Aslan book. Was this the case in CT? My Aslan alien module is in storage. My Aslan/Solomani MT book is AWOL. I checked the GT alien races book on the Aslan and didn't see it in there.

Are they more indentured servants and criminals THAN actual slaves in MgT? I was wondering if this is new or was in CT or MT.

GT recommend feudal Japan as an inspiration for Aslan culture. I just checked Wikpedia and there was slavery in Japan until 1590, but indentured servitude continued.
Old May 28th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

There is no mention of Aslan having/keeping slaves in the CT Alien module.

Some Vargr do, the Aslan don't.

I'm sure the MgT author(s) of their Aslan stuff conducted extensive research and had good reason for the change...

Last edited by mike wightman; May 28th, 2019 at 12:10 PM..
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstor2 View Post
I noticed a bit about Aslan and slavery in the MgT Aslan book. Was this the case in CT? My Aslan alien module is in storage. My Aslan/Solomani MT book is AWOL. I checked the GT alien races book on the Aslan and didn't see it in there.

Are they more indentured servants and criminals THAN actual slaves in MgT? I was wondering if this is new or was in CT or MT.

GT recommend feudal Japan as an inspiration for Aslan culture. I just checked Wikpedia and there was slavery in Japan until 1590, but indentured servitude continued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
There is no mention of Aslan having/keeping slaves in the CT Alien module.

Some Vargr do, the Aslan don't.

I'm sure the MgT author(s) of their Aslan stuff conducted extensive research and had good reason for the change...
IIRC, the only mention of (current-day) slavery among the Aslan had to do with the outlawed members of the Glorious Empire in the Trojan Reach.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

More information: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Slave

Please feel free to add, enrich, edit, etc.

Shalom,
M.
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The wiki claims slavery is widespread throughout Aslan space - where is the evidence for this to be found?

There is an often ignored mention of slavery hidden in the Darrian alien module:
Quote:
The Irhadre of Lishun sector maintain a form of ritual slavery for half of their adult population.
Old May 28th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
The wiki claims slavery is widespread throughout Aslan space - where is the evidence for this to be found?
Gareth Hanrahan. Aslan (Mongoose Publishing, 2009).

It is in other sources as well, but that is the only one the wiki team currently has sourced.

I believe this also mentions it:

Peter G. Celella, James Holden. Solomani & Aslan (Digest Group Publications, 1991)

Would be happy to be corrected.

Shalom,
M.
Old May 29th, 2019, 02:49 AM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim-Smelchak View Post
Gareth Hanrahan. Aslan (Mongoose Publishing, 2009).
Hmm, I wonder if he was influenced by Kzinti, Kilrathi and Liono because he doesn't appear to stick with the CT Alien module.

Quote:
It is in other sources as well, but that is the only one the wiki team currently has sourced.
That is not very helpful in tracking this stuff down. Unless you cite actual sources for them then it is pure conjecture.

Quote:
I believe this also mentions it:

Peter G. Celella, James Holden. Solomani & Aslan (Digest Group Publications, 1991)

Would be happy to be corrected.

Shalom,
M.
I will search through GT material on the Aslan and DGP's Rats and Cats - I'll see what they have to say and post back when research is complete.
Old May 28th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
From MgT Alien Module 1: Aslan, p.159 (The Glorious Empire):
Quote:
Aside from practicing slavery, Glorious Empire culture is much like traditional Aslan culture. Males are warriors and landowners; females are technicians, merchants and advisors. Herding and disciplining slaves is considered a male task.
The book does mention in a number of places that in historical times (including the Long Night) the Alsan practice of slavery was much more widespread.

From MgT Alien Module 1: Aslan, p.62:
Quote:
The Aslan have incorporated numerous minor races into the Hierate. These species, ranging from the avian-descended Pol Nox to the reptilian Zkr to the Ulane. Races encountered by the Aslan early in their expansion were usually enslaved or annihilated but modern Aslan are more likely to incorporate other races into the Hierate or trade with them. Incorporated races are permitted to form clans and own territory and may even be treated as the equals of Aslan if they behave properly, although few non-Aslan ever rise above the rank of awkhea (landless serf).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old May 28th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Noble

So no different to humans then.

Aslan in the MgT ATU appear to be very different to Aslan in the OTU.