Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old July 6th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Default DC Star Trek Vol. 1

I mentioned in another thread that I bought the entire first run of DC's Star Trek series, and I will say, the stories are out of this world excellent. I hear that Vol. 2, where DC started over, is even better. I bought that entire line, too, but I've got to finish the first line first.

The series is an excellent mesh of multi-issue story arcs, smaller, two or three issue arcs, and single-issue stories. I just finished one of the latter, and it reminds me of one of those character building episodes that we will sometimes see in Trek.

In this story, Sulu goes home for a wedding. Where's home for Sulu? According to this book, its Mountaindove Station, which a ring station--a space station that forms a complete ring around a planet (imagine if Saturn's rings were thinner and made to house several cities in space).

That sounds a bit "Star Wars" instead of "Star Trek", but it read very well. It gave me that old sense of wonder. I liked it.

New revelation about Sulu: He's rich! Or, at least, he comes from an extremely wealthy family. The family business makes cyber suits, which, I found out, are basically mechs. A pilot sits in the head and drives this huge humanoid shaped machine. Very "Asian sci-fi", huh? I thought so. The cyber suits are used in the construction of starships, among other things.

Another revelation about Sulu: He was in love with his cousin, and I'm talking about romantic love. This book is so thick with Asian tropes that I wonder, is that an accepted practice in Asian culture? I don't know enough about it, but, in the book, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Lots of action. You know that two cyber-suits fight. They've got to. The book doesn't disappoint.

Nice little one-off issue.

Really digging this series. This is issue 20 out of 56. Almost half the way through. Good stuff!

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.