Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller in Other Systems

Traveller in Other Systems Discussion of Porting any published traveller setting into non-traveller games. If it doesn't involve a published Traveller/CE setting, it goes in Non-Traveller Gaming

Old August 17th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+
Default Why Did You Use A Different System To Play Traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
...Traveller did start as a campaign-less system, but to your point RAW with specific Tech tropes. A campaign universe has evolved as a logical extension of that ruleset. But like Mike, I did homebrews with other tech assumptions and tropes (my nickname ^^^ comes from my WellWorld homebrew) and even a TL7 spy game with the "gadgets" being TL8 and 9 devices. In the last in the last 10 years "Traveller" has evolved beyond that origin. We even have magic now (thanks Samardan Press!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The tech tropes and jump drive are the same in every edition. the details vary a bit, but the tropes generally remain.
The Jump Drive is near-unique - the few authors whose universes have a similarly constrained FTL mode are connected with Traveller - most notably MJD, Jeff Swycaffer, and Chuck Gannon.

And, to be blunt, if you use the jump drive as written, it provides a large part of the feel.
This discussion with aramis got me thinking in a reverse sort of way. Over the years, I have done many conversions. Many of us have done them. But....

Why did you use a different rule system and convert the OTU into it?
What was Traveller as a set of rules lacking that the other game had or what was the zeitgeist in your group?

Like right now I am doing the OTU in Vortex System (Doctor Who). My reason is I want to represent the OTU in a simple tabletop system for pre-teens where characters don't die quickly to get/keep them interested in RPGs. Vortex has Story Points (get out of death or change the story a little). There are only 12 skills in Vortex. Dice mechanics very similar to MgT1e/Cepheus.

and, I like mashups. Who doesn't want to see Imperial Marines vs. Sontarrans or Daleks?

What say you?
Old August 17th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The main reasons for using different systems for me and my groups over the years:

some people didn't like using just 2d6 when all those polyhedrals are sitting on the table

preference for a particular rule system

to try out a new sci-fi rules system in a setting I was comfortable with
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

That is a good general answer. I was looking more towards the specific situations, rules systems, motivations for doing so, and outcomes from doing so.
Old August 17th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

In my case,
  1. testing a system in a familiar setting when the author had already done the heavy lifting... (EABA has a Jump Drive compatible with Traveller in the core.)
  2. Had a group of players unwilling to learn a new system
  3. wanted to have something done to compare to the soon to be released official conversions
That last is interesting. Porting characters capability/probability by difficulty label, the odds don't match well with GURPS, and the conversions in the book are no better than my own were - but are also smaller. Converting Psionicists became interesting. A PSR 12 character with TP can reach out to half a parsec under MT... which is stupidly expensive under GURPS... The GURPS rules siply don't have the same range of capability, so the conversions are always going to be lopsided in some direction...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
Why did you use a different rule system and convert the OTU into it?
What was Traveller as a set of rules lacking that the other game had or what was the zeitgeist in your group?
Some players I'll game with like to roll different dice than just 6-sided ones. So I'll use Serenity's mechanic for a 3rd-Imperium setting game. But if they are only interested in rolling different dice, and are not role-players, I won't bother running any game for them.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

Silhouette system (Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles)

Main reason is that I prefer a character with more skills so I needed a system that kept the levels low (and difficult to obtain) but gave the ability to gather more of them. I like larger skill lists or, more accurately, complete skill lists.

The combat/damage system for Traveller was okay but I greatly prefer Silhouette's which moves away from "hit points" and into wounds/wound effects. The treatment of weapons, hand-to-hand combat, combat sense/tactics and other things are all better suited for my style.

The hexadecimal attribute system made little sense to me. The 2d6 roll is capable of great highs and lows but rarely consistent so skill difficulties seemed off or unattainable. I prefer systems that deliver consistent results rather than extremes. (Silhouette is essentially a d6 dice pool, take highest).

Silhouette also has Advantages/Flaws which allow some flexibility in Mustering Out or other Benefits/Life Events.

Furthermore, Silhouette's vehicle construction system/combat system was a huge draw. However, I should note that my hack uses Mongoose ship construction/combat with a few mods and have playtested it nicely.

It was originally adopted as my go-to system for 2300AD. As I spent more time monkeying around with it, I realized it could work just as well for 3I gaming. But it's perfect fit is 2300AD as technology levels are equivalent so you can port over pretty much anything published into the 2300 world... including Gears ;-)
====
Outcome... still pending as I've only playtested it with SOLO. But I really, really, really like it. Really.

My earlier CharGen documents are in the Library. You can see sample characters here... http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=37416

Some things have changed and the skill list is shrinking.

Also, once I'm moved into new place. I'll post the SOLO playtest notes.
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

The combat system is complex, and essentially re-inventing the wheel. I use the Skirmish Wargaming rules from Don Featherstone's book of the same name, supplementing as necessary. As I do not allow personal energy weapons, the system works quite well. For heavier weapons, I use my own data derived from US Army ballistics tests. I am still working on adapting the system to animals, as the chance for slight and severe wounds is higher with them, based on the average ability of the shooter.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
...For heavier weapons, I use my own data derived from US Army ballistics tests. I am still working on adapting the system to animals...
https://therearenosunglasses.files.w...6a-rabbits.jpg

It had to be done.

Can't you see that... HAD.TO.BE.DONE.
Old October 15th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
https://therearenosunglasses.files.w...6a-rabbits.jpg

It had to be done.

Can't you see that... HAD.TO.BE.DONE.