Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old September 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
mserabian Citizen
Default Best MT Products

Hey guys

I have the opportunity to aquire some old GDW and DGP MegaTraveller products - I am wondering which products are the best from these lines. I am particularly interested in background and adventures not so much rules and gear. I can also grab issues of Traveller Digest and MegaTraveller Journal. Which are the best issues of these two mags?

thanks

mal
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Vargas Citizen

Any of the MT Journals are good but I particularly like 2 and 3.

I personally prefer the later Traveller's Digests, say 17 to 21 or so but if you have the opportunity to grab 9 go for it; it's the Core issue.

Dunno what to say about the other products, other than to stay away from Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium and, I know this will elicit protests, Hard Times.
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

ANything except GDW's Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium... which is just plain bunk.

TD 15 is Earth and the Imperial Marines.
The TD issues with the detailed medical rules are quite nice.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Definitely get the Starship Operator's Manual.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

While I might agree that Hard Times is not much of a "background and adventures" book, it is the snapshot product for the late/black war period, and does have some adventure nuggets for that period. If you have the opportunity to get it, do so.

I'll add to the noise on Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium. Most of the fleet organization material is from other sources, and the ship designs are, with a single exception, so ridden with errors as to be useless.

For all the TNS items in one place, as well as some pithy commentary, look for Survival Margin. Technically this book sits on the fence between MT and TNE, being a book about the MT era for the benefit of TNE, but it's worth it.

Similar late war coverage and closure of the era can be found in the adventures Assignment: Vigilante and Arrival Vengeance.

Early War is covered by the Imperial Encyclopedia and Rebellion Sourcebook.

Mid- to Late-War adventures include Knightfall and Flaming Eye. Knightfall is the source of the "other ancients" that you'll hear people kvetch about, but the adventure is pretty good even without that.

Traveller's Digest was a rather schitzophrenic magazine in its MT run (9 on) sometimes barely addressing the Rebellion era. The four issue run of MegaTraveller Journal was more focused. The coverage in Challenge also varied quite a bit, but adventures were fairly common.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

To endorse a few books as more worthy than the general lot:

SS Operator's manual: simply the best thing ever written... inludes hohman transfer orbits, too...

Hard Times: Even if you don't use the hard times nor rebellion settings, the book includes starmerc (pirate) advanced generation, pregravitic spacecraft rules, and rules for maximum sustainable population by UWP.

Survival Margin: loads of library data, loads of GM info, lots of Rebellion Spoilers that were nowhere else... and conversions for characters from CT/MT to TNE.

Referees Companion: Referee's Manual Part II. SHould have been in the core box. Includes the large scale combat rules, research rules, and much much more.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

Signal GK is absolutely the best thing for MT. As I concur with most but I would reading Hard Times straight away, if you want to paint a bleak picture (I like Dark things) and the MJs, if want to wish the Rebellion but see the onset of the Twilight. Also, try, if you can ahold of certain issues of Challenge.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Wow, be honest and upset people, or toe the company line?

Get the boxed set and the Referee's Companion, the MegaTraveller Journals, Challenges and the Travellers' Digests...

And run in using the GURPS Traveller setting.

There -- I admitted it. I can now enter the 12-step program, because the monkey is off my back.

I love the MT rules, but the setting makes me ill. And Survival Margin makes me want to open a vein.

Things that are good in the GDW books: Knightfall has some really great encounter structures, and Diaspora is an interesting sector, even if the hell has already been blown out of it.

But for sheer depression, read Hard Times, Arrival Vengeance and Survival Margin as a trilogy.

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ishmael Citizen

ref's companion is a must have for thecombat rules alone
everything else is good, but not as needed as ref's comp
SOM for the rules/tasks in back
WBH is nice
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I love the MT rules, but the setting makes me ill. And Survival Margin makes me want to open a vein.

But for sheer depression, read Hard Times, Arrival Vengeance and Survival Margin as a trilogy.
Won't argue with that last, can't argue with the first (it being a personal reaction that I didn't and don't share), but the OP was asking specifically for MT-era setting information, which GURPS:Traveller isn't, aside from the calendar-independent stuff.

The calendar-independent stuff in G:T can be really good, or really bad. Reading the SJG TNS items is fascinating for that "Paradise Lost" feel, and the various "service" books are excellent, but "Behind the Claw" and Pulver's alien additions are dross.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)