Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old July 6th, 2018, 01:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Default Games I Love

Games That I Flat-Out Love!

1. WEG D6 Star Wars - 1st Edition (and the other editions are pretty sweet as well.)

2. Classic Traveller - My God! I love that game.

3. Mongoose d20 Conan - A truly great interpretation of the 3.5E d20 rules that fits the Hyborian Age like a gauntlet.

Games That I Might Love IF I Played Them More...

4. Victory Games James Bond RPG - the only point-buy that I've ever truly liked.

5. Top Secret/S.I. - has an excellent task system

6. FASA Star Trek - Never played enough of it to know if I like 1st or 2nd edition better, but it's a GREAT game.

Games That Have Intrigued Me, But I Never Jumped In...

7. 2300 AD - I always seem to play Classic Traveller when I get the space itch...that, or Star Wars. Which hasn't left a lot of room for this game that I think I would really like.

8. Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes - Always wanted to play this, but I seem to play Bond or TSSI when I'm in a spy mood. I'd love to play an adventure game using these rules, like Indiana Jones, or African Bush Wars, Alaskan Bush Pilots, Caribbean Drug Runners, Noir type adventures.

9. High Colonies - Don't know why, but this game has always intrigued me.

10. Faded Suns - Because of my love of Dune.

11. The Dune RPG - Owned it. Sold it. Wish I hadn't. Wish it was supported.

Games That I Used To Love...

12. AD&D 1E and 2E - I tend to like 1E better. I could rekindle this love under the right circumstances.
Old July 6th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Moved to correct location
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 6th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

As an FYI, the FFG reprint of WEG 1E hit (some) stores yesterday, 5 Jul 2018.

And it's Fading Suns, not Faded Suns.

I never got FS to a full group, and while it shows a Dune influence, it shows as much Warhammer: 40K or more. (The 40K influence has been confirmed by a member of the dev team.) I loved the setting...

The Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium was VERY pretty. I sold mine to someone who'd actually use it, and he did. I wish I hadn't needed the money right then, but I did, and it paid the electric bill.

Jyhad, for Burning Wheel, is a much better Dune RPG - it's essentially a "stick a label over the major terms" setting for the Jyhad of Leto II, the God-Emperor.

And, after playing 5E, AD&D lost all nostalgia value for me. Cyclopedia even is "meh"... I'm tempted to rework Dark Dungeons (a Cyclopedia true retroclone - it's mechanically the same) to be a 5E derivative.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 6th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

casquilho Citizen

" Games That Have Intrigued Me, But I Never Jumped In... "

One game that I would place in this category was Justifiers. I liked the concept and they didn't over "furry" while having anthropomorphic animals. But the interest in it just was not there in my game friends so it was left in my "Read it but never played it" pile.
Old July 6th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Yeah, it is sometimes tough to get a game going when your players aren't interested.

Most of my early gaming was either AD&D 1E or 2E. That's always been the favorite for my group.

As I got older, I was able to switch them to a few games. We played a lot of Classic Traveller, of MegaTraveller, and T4.

We played a butt-load of WEG D6 Star Wars...lots of 2E R&E, but my taste has reverted to 1E these days.

I never played as much Bond as I would have liked, not as much TSSI.

But, Star Trek was a damn hard game to get people to play. And, sometimes when they did play, they wanted to play it like D&D....Starfleet officers never acted the way these players would act.

In order to play a great game of Star Trek, players need to be in the mood for Trek. All of my players liked Trek and watched it, but they had little interest in playing a Kirk type or a Spock type.

So....I never played near as much Trek as I wanted...and I really wanted to play more.
Old July 6th, 2018, 07:18 PM

PVernon Citizen

I got people to play FASA Star Trek. The group in the shop were Terkies so pickup one offs were easy to do. As a hobby shop owner at the time I sold a lot of boxes of it. A case in 5 min of it's arrival in the store. They were good times.

Peter Vernon
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by casquilho View Post
" Games That Have Intrigued Me, But I Never Jumped In... "

One game that I would place in this category was Justifiers. I liked the concept and they didn't over "furry" while having anthropomorphic animals. But the interest in it just was not there in my game friends so it was left in my "Read it but never played it" pile.
Have run Justifiers; have both editions corebooks. Getting players to take it seriously is a problem. Oh, and it's once again available, in PDF, at least.

Albedo, Usagi Yojimbo, Ironclaw, and Jadeclaw all have the same issue. (I've run only the T&I and Chessex editions of Albedo, but have the Plat Cat version.)

I've never had an issue getting trek-like behavior from by trek groups... but I don't assume my regulars will do Trek, either. Ok, Steph and Peter are almost always up for Trek...
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old July 7th, 2018, 12:10 AM

casquilho Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Have run Justifiers; have both editions corebooks. Getting players to take it seriously is a problem.
Yes, the one time I almost had them willing to try one guy brought up his idea for a "Female Bunny Rabbit". Then I had to listed to dozens of Playboy Bunny jokes and the "her being pregnant all the time" jokes.
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:12 AM

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

This century the only game I play consistently is Everquest.

Tried running a 1e ad&d play by post game on Dragonsfoot.org, but our schedules never matched. The two players quit and I'm on hiatus in that game.

In 1979 I found Tunnels and Trolls, and the solo adventures. The small book store didn't have any other games. We moved, and my siblings found Zocchi's game warehouse.

In January, 1980 we went there. After warehouse hours they had a few tables set up for gaming. Starting Feb, 1980 to fall of 1985, I ran 1e ad&d in a game world of my own design.

After that, I ran a few TOON games at a convention in Biloxi, MS.

Also have the books for The Fantasy Trip, Wizards' Realm, MgT, beige/brown d&d booklets, SPACE: 1889!, GURPS and GURPSTranshuman Space. Might be another game or two I haven't refound after my move.

After web pages became available I set up a small site at the university I worked/student at. I don't remember if I had gamer stuff there or not.

I created a free account at a web host. Then I found Campaign Cartographer 2. Made about 2,300 maps with it, and uploaded them to my web site. The surface maps were 180x234 miles each, covering a planet of 25,0000 circumference. These were scans of my old 5mm Gamescience hexagon sheets, imported into CC2 and made into maps I could upload.

After CC3 came out I started redoing the CC2 maps. I made much larger maps, and got rid of the smal surface maps. Some of my maps there have now been made in CC3 Plus.

I was making some islands with Fractal Terrains 3, and noticed the Traveller Cosmographer world export.

I looked around the internet, and found the FFE CD. Bought it and started my web site. Emailed Marc Miller as required for a site, and he okayed it.

I've used FT3 to create the 1265 planets, and I hope next year to start editing these planet maps to show downports and major cities, names the lakes and oceans, make more downports, etc.

Some Sub-Sectors and sectors have planets, but aren't connected to other Sectors, I hope to remedy that as well.

Next year my brother-in-law is retired. I hope he can then transport his, and my sister's, kids to places and I can get back to what I want to do, map and game. Maybe go on a hike.
Old July 7th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen-

First Love = OD&D (Sorry Traveller, but they beat you to it) Since 1976. Still playing D&D (Mostly 3.5)

Second Love = Traveller since 1978 (these days a mix of CT/MT/TNE with a little GURPS thrown in)

Other games = Damn near anything LOL, Recently ran a "Renegade Nuns with Guns" one-shot.