Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old November 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
thedamnyankee Citizen
Is there any cannon on what imperal service uniforms and insigna look like? If not what about IYTU.

Christopher Schroeder
Old November 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

PapaGolfWhiskey Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to PapaGolfWhiskey
There is some.

All imperial uniforms use the 'Imperial Sunburst' as their logo.

They are colour coded by service branch but I don't remember the colours. (scouts are red I think)

There are also uniform colours described in various publication for various branches and subunits. Not sure how canon some descriptions are though.

For some reason I'm under the impression that that primary dress uniform colour for marines is Maroon.

Field uniforms of course will be variants on the colour of mud, dirt, leaves, and sand.

Undress uniforms (garrison duty) may be different again. For example the US army's full fancy dress uniform is Blue. but on base they mostly wear green or tan.

Brits and many of their former colonies have scarlet 'full dress' uniforms (or Grey or 'Rifle Green') but again the undress uniform tend to be a little more plain often khaki (green/tan)

Again as for canon. I believe there is some out their. I just don't know what it is. Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old November 24th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Uncle Bob Citizen
Maroon "undress" uniforms come from Heinlein's MI and it would be appropriate for the Imperial Marines.

In MTU the Navy and Marines use Naval-style rank badges (i.e. officers have stripes on cuff or shoulder board, or stencilled on chest of vacc suit/armor.) Army rank insignia follows the Confederate/Israeli pattern.
Chevrons for NCOs
2nd Lt 1 bar
1st Lt 2 bars
Captain 3 bars
Major 1 oak leaf (Israeli's use grape leaves)
Lt. Col 2 oak leaves
Colonel 3 oak leaves
Generals leaves in wreath

Once again, IMTU
Navy: dark blue, white dress uniform
Marines maroon, dark blue dress
Army Forest green
Scouts Medium gray, no dress uniform
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old November 24th, 2002, 09:01 PM

thedamnyankee Citizen
I wonder if uniforms might change from sector to sector, similar to British Regaments having diffrent uniforms. Also we would assume that the uniforms would have changed over time, so the era would affect the uniform.
Im thinking of somthing like this
(Utilities/Garrison/Dress)
Navy Color denotes function (like on a flight deck of a modern carrier)/Black/Black&Chrimson
Marines Camoflauge (as appropreate)/Green/Maroon
Army Camoflauge (as appropreate) /Brown&tan/Varies by Command
Scout Grey or safty Orange/Grey/No equivlent uniform

As for rank insigna I dont know what I want to use, but using somthing other than the American system makes sence.. I'll have to think about it.

Christopher Schroeder
Old November 25th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Scarlett Citizen
Lightbulb

You know what'd really be cool (I think)? You may have seen those books that elaborate on uniforms of various countries from various wars and eras (you know ... maybe ... the ones with all the nice color profiles and such that show soldiers, sailors and airmen wearing the various uniforms in all their splendor). Wouldn't it be nice to see such a book (or, dare I say ... website) that had the same look but featured uniforms of Traveller (Imperium. Solomani, Zhodani, Vargr, Aslan, etc.)?
Old November 25th, 2002, 11:59 AM

thedamnyankee Citizen
Now that would be cool. Of corse I'm no artist but Im an amature Costume guy (the real reason I asked) If there was some one out there whit artistic ability I would love to colaborate on somthing like that. Any Takers?

Christopher Schroeder
Old November 25th, 2002, 01:53 PM

trader jim Citizen
Thumbs up

Boink...Idea!!!!....heres a crazy idea....re-enactors.....real life TRAVELLER uniforms!!!....
Hunter and the gang show up at CONVENTIONS IN TRAVELLER UNIFORMS....real hand crafted Metal insignia!!!.....wonder what Trader Jims Admiral Uniform looks like????

Liams would probably be IRISH GREEN....heheheheh [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]

would love to see it (well maby just once)heheheh
Old November 25th, 2002, 02:22 PM

thedamnyankee Citizen
Cool

Ive got the black beret already for the scout corps insigna [img]tongue.gif[/img] And it would be Wicked cool to show up to a scifi/gamer convention as a crew of a Scout ship. you could act like it was first contact and everything. Wow. I think we have created somthing hre...

Christopher Schroeder
"Woha" -Neo "The One"
Old November 25th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

T. Foster Citizen
Official Sunburst colors:

Army=black
Navy=yellow
Scouts=red
Marines=maroon

The GT book Ground Forces (which I don't own) may provide more detail on Imperial Army & Marine uniforms. ISTR some controversy over marines-in-kilts when that book was first released...
Old November 26th, 2002, 03:13 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Schroeder:
Ive got the black beret already for the scout corps insigna [img]tongue.gif[/img] And it would be Wicked cool to show up to a scifi/gamer convention as a crew of a Scout ship. you could act like it was first contact and everything. Wow. I think we have created somthing hre...

Christopher Schroeder
"Woha" -Neo "The One"
You must hate the scouts. A beret does not shield the face from sun or rain and blows off in a high wind. Indoors it has to be caried anyway. The US Army currently wear black berets and every soldier I have talked to hates them, hates them almost as much as the overseas caps they replaced. The larger berets used by the British are less stylish but slightly more practical)

(BTW the US Special Forces rarely wear their Green Berets, and then only on post. Never in the field.)

Of course I find the idea of a scout uniform to be difficult. I expect a scout crew to wear a mixture of gray issue clothing, Hawaiian shirts, plus-fours, fedoras, custom vests, sandals, bermuda shorts, colorful sweaters, argyle knee-socks, bandanas, and cowboy boots.

IMTU if you find two scouts dressed alike at least one is a fake.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates