Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old January 21st, 2018, 06:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
torus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
They update their PDFs for people to re-download. A new printing of MgT2 hardcover books shipping soon will have updates. Maybe their site will have the changes made that we can download?
Matt said a few small updates would be made. I found a 1st printing for a discount so am happy with that. TBH, looking through the list of complaints in this thread I see few things that are genuine errata, so given the apparent hostility of the regulars here to all things Mongoose, I deduce that there are no serious issues
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:38 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
The weight of a TDX explosive is negligible, is how I take it to mean. It doesn't add much to your carry weight inventory.
So ALL TDX explosive, even a 1 Dton block of it is of negligible weight? And even a 1 dton block of the explosive only does the damage listed?

My point is, and has always been on this subject, how much explosive is required to get the results listed. It has never been about encumbrance.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
So ALL TDX explosive, even a 1 Dton block of it is of negligible weight? And even a 1 dton block of the explosive only does the damage listed?

My point is, and has always been on this subject, how much explosive is required to get the results listed. It has never been about encumbrance.
I'm not sure where you are seeing TDX weights listed. Page number?
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:49 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are seeing TDX weights listed. Page number?
Really? Really? Ok mass. How much mass is necessary for the effects listed.

There is no weight or mass listed in the book. That is why you can't find it and is my entire point.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Really? Really? Ok mass. How much mass is necessary for the effects listed.

There is no weight or mass listed in the book. That is why you can't find it and is my entire point.
A TL12 explosive weighs less than a 0.5 kg TL6 explosive. I don't think the RPG deals much with weights that are less than 0.5 kg, do they? Rule Zero, on page 2 in my book, says Referees can change whatever they want basically.
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:16 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
A TL12 explosive weighs less than a 0.5 kg TL6 explosive. I don't think the RPG deals much with weights that are less than 0.5 kg, do they? Rule Zero, on page 2 in my book, says Referees can change whatever they want basically.
Are you being deliberately provocative? Let us return to my 10 KG of TDX.

Tell me, Mr. Driscoll, how much damage will that 10 KG do? Can't tell? Neither can I. And 10 KG is not a negligible amount.

Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Are you being deliberately provocative? Let us return to my 10 KG of TDX.

Tell me, Mr. Driscoll, how much damage will that 10 KG do? Can't tell? Neither can I. And 10 KG is not a negligible amount.
You're right. 10 kg is not a negligible amount. However, TDX explosives weigh almost nothing at TL12 for role-play purposes. If TDX explosives could be made at TL6, maybe they would weigh the 10 kg you're looking for (Rule Zero). In the meantime, just use 10 TDX explosives (Rule Zero). Or use the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society No. 1 rules for TDX instead.

Traveller is about magic flying spaceships after all. It's not a simulator.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll; January 22nd, 2018 at 12:14 AM..
Old January 22nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
You're right. 10 kg is not a negligible amount. However, TDX explosives weigh almost nothing at TL12 for role-play purposes. If TDX explosives could be made at TL6, maybe they would weigh the 10 kg you're looking for (Rule Zero). In the meantime, just use 10 TDX explosives (Rule Zero). Or use the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society No. 1 rules for TDX instead.

Traveller is about magic flying spaceships after all. It's not a simulator.
What you don't seem to get is that I am pointing out a bit of errata. Mongoose quantifies even ammunition. It quantifies the TL 6 explosive. Why does it not quantify the others?

It is a bad rule if for the low tech part there is a nice value but for the upper part we have to rely on rule zero.

Or is that entirely to logical?