Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old January 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
RainOfSteel Citizen

I only purchased the main boxed set rules of MegaTraveller itself a few months ago, around the Spring of 2011. Errata is my number one concern when it comes to actually using it. I purchased it for nostalgia. While I love the skill system, integrating the errata scares me off from using the system.

When it was originally published, with money being very, very tight, I borrowed a copy. I opened it and immediately attempted to use its starship construction system. I rapidly ran into dead ends in the instructions. I put everything back in the box and returned it to its owner. That was my original history with MegaTraveller, busted by errata before even getting anywhere. It influenced my decision not to purchase TNE, as well.

It was much later, in the late 1990s, before I picked up the LBB compilations (again, for nostalgia) and a couple of bits of TNE and T4. I picked up T20 when it came out and liked it, but could not locate a group who would play. Also in the mid-2000s, I picked up a few more bits of TNE, MegaTraveller, and several GURPS: Traveller products. Of late I have also picked up a few Mongoose Traveller products.

-----------

When the Rebellion setting of MegaTraveller was released, I officially hated it with a passion and continued onward with that hatred for many years, right along with my dislike of the TNE destruction of the OTU.

I would like to say that I have tried to leave my hatred behind and have largely succeeded. I can no longer raise up a passionate antipathy for what happened to the OTU milieu. Today I only vaguely dislike the Rebellion and the Destruction, but see where they had their good points, such as they were.

Strange, how things tend to pass over time.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Garyius2003 Citizen

The game system was really bad. GDW wanted to run some massive wargame system, with really complex designs. But actually doing it right would have taken too much effort so they halfassed it.

Then the OTU was so great they needed to put forth the slightest effort to set up a new area to game in. That was too hard, better to blow it all up.

Please note I am biting back on how I feel, since LKW is sick and all.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyius2003 View Post
The game system was really bad. GDW wanted to run some massive wargame system, with really complex designs. But actually doing it right would have taken too much effort so they halfassed it.

Then the OTU was so great they needed to put forth the slightest effort to set up a new area to game in. That was too hard, better to blow it all up.

Please note I am biting back on how I feel, since LKW is sick and all.
Get your facts straight - MT wasn't designed in-house, but outsourced to DGP. The setting changes were GDW... but implemented by DGP.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
The game system was really bad. GDW wanted to run some massive wargame system, with really complex designs.
If the intent when publishing MT was to run some massive wargame, I must agree they failed miserably. I must admit I've never read the mass combat (and so wargame, in MT:RC) rules in detail, but the truth is that they've never appealed me, as I see them nearly useless due to being confuse and incomplete (and I've played wargames and RPG for more than 30 years as now, from purely tactical, as Firefight, ASL or AHL to truly strategic as Third Reich, Empires on Arms or Europa Universalis board game).

I guess they (once more) assumed people that read it knew Striker (I've never had the oportunity to read it) and so most of the rules were inferred from it, but for someone that hasn't read it, they made no sense.

If this is the case, is a too often error in MT assuming things must not be explicited because the players already knew CT, mostly as CT was left out of print by MT, and that left any newcomer orphan of most knowledge needed.

In any case, MT was a RPG, not a wargame, and, as such (once errata are applied and if you know what is inferred from CT), I still believe the best Traveller rules ever done, even if some parts of it (spaceships combat a good example, IMHO) are faulty.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
If this is the case, is a too often error in MT assuming things must not be explicited because the players already knew CT, mostly as CT was left out of print by MT, and that left any newcomer orphan of most knowledge needed.

In any case, MT was a RPG, not a wargame, and, as such (once errata are applied and if you know what is inferred from CT), I still believe the best Traveller rules ever done, even if some parts of it (spaceships combat a good example, IMHO) are faulty.
The large scale combat rules (Ref's Companion) are not striker based, per se; I've never had a problem understanding them...they are an extension of the excellent-but-poorly-worded personal combat mechanics. (Which were themselves using some striker ratings.)

And they do comprise a good tactical wargame. The ability to field squads vs companies is almost unique to MT; that the system can handle a regiment vs a couple platoons of higher tech is almost totally unique...

And explains the separation of Pen and Damage... by averaging the unit pen and totaling the damages, one gets scalability without all units being of the same general scale.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I guess they (once more) assumed people that read it knew Striker (I've never had the oportunity to read it) and so most of the rules were inferred from it, but for someone that hasn't read it, they made no sense.
I wouldn't say so. Both the personal and the large-scale combat systems do work once you incorporate the errata. I don't think any prior CT knowledge was needed.
Now obviously I don't think the MT combat rules were particularly good, but they worked. As for the large scale system, the ability to apply basically any scale to the units was a nice touch, but again it came at the cost of detail.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Garyius2003 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Get your facts straight - MT wasn't designed in-house, but outsourced to DGP. The setting changes were GDW... but implemented by DGP.
You mad, and I am not your dog.

Get your facts straight :-) They put it out under their name, they contracted for it and supervised.

In fact, almost every RPG is contracted out. Most don't stink.

Last edited by Garyius2003; January 5th, 2012 at 09:00 PM..
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
I had mapped out the SpaceMaster empires (whatever you call them) for a friend onto the Traveller 2d map of Charted Space. Took less than a dozen sectors... very doable.
You have copies of those maps?

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
You mad, and I am not your dog.

Get your facts straight :-) They put it out under their name, they contracted for it and supervised.

In fact, almost every RPG is contracted out. Most don't stink.
Bull. Quite a few are author-publisher.

CT wasn't, nor was TNE - both design teams were GDW-in-house.
Certain companies have a history of outsourcing to independents, but they are not, in fact, anywhere near as many games as "most" - keeping in mind the number of indie games released in the last year numbers in the multiple dozens, most published by their authors, and a few by co-ops (like Diaspora and Hollowpoint, Published by VSCA, whch is a coop including the author of those two, Brad Murray). Lamentations of the Flame Princess is written and published by Jim Lot; he's only recently started hiring others do to work for hire.

To be blunt - there's as much, if not more, to dislike about both CT, TNE, and T4 as there is with MT. GDW has had errata for almost every game I've ever puchased from them, before contracting out to a talented group of amateurs who did a very popular fanzine and a couple nifty licensed products (Grand Survey & Grand Census). Kenzer and Co do all their core books in-house, too.

Oh, and MGT didn't contract out the core - Gareth was, at the time, a staff member at Mongoose. They licensed the setting, but much of their initial work for the Traveller line was in-house work by staffers. Mongoose's Mercenary was also done in house, and their High Guard.

D&D is done in house. Hero Games had Mr. Long in-house for years. RTG's core books were done in-house.

In fact, the companies best known for freelancers are SJG, FASA, and WEG. SJG still does corebooks in house, while FASA and WEG are defunct.

Many companies hire freelancers for supplements, not many for core rules. GDW doing so was an oddity.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Garyius2003 Citizen

1. I really like the CT setting, see also GURPS and Mongoose. The choices for adventures and structure are what I like, and broad enough that you can have a small ship in the void or Mora Highport.

2. I didn't like the setting of MT and TNE. It smacked of being too lazy to set up a new sector for more socially disorganized adventures so instead GDW just trashed what they had.

3. CT was a pretty good system. It was first small ship, ala Universe, only playable. Then they did a fairly good job of giving us large Star Wars type ships and combat in an RPG doable fashion. Mongoose recaptures this base system, with some better tweaks and a few worse choices.

4. GURPS is a beast to play, but at least it makes sense as a 'play every setting' system.

5. MT as a system reminded me of two of the Avon Hill games, one ground and one aircraft, smushed together. You didn't play an RPG, you were playing adventures in accounting and statistics. TNE same/same. There was almost no chance of fun or role playing without lots of house rules.

Last edited by far-trader; February 16th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: mod edited for infraction.