Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 4th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
These and many other issues. It's almost as if Mongoose wants an echoing chorus of "good job" and ignores everything else. Several much more important items required "Summon Marc" to get fixed.

In the end, it's like much else by Mongoose - just good enough to play, but with over the top attempts at "pretty". Style over substance.

(The key exception seems to have been Conan d20.)
Conana d20 was good, but I have to say that the Core Rulebook for MgT1e really hit a sweet spot for me. The MgT1e supplements, not so much.
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I may undertand this, but MgT1E LBB1: Mercenary is quite clear for rules in page 73 (Ground Forces versus Starships) in that the factor used is 50 (though infantry scale fighting against a starship adds damage to a point, so enough laser pistos might even damage a Spaceship ).

Of course your House RUles are out of it, and they may even be more acurate in other senses...
They aren't really house rules. I didn't even think of running the numbers until this thread.

Honestly, the 50 is so far off it seems like an arbitrary guess instead of a writer actually looking over existing info.

Although ... Book 1 probably predated Supplement 6, so there were no numbers to run at the time.

MgT, unlike several other systems I have, doesn't make real world comparisons. For example, in GURPS 1" (~25mm) of hardened steel is DR (Damage Resistance) 70. In Twilight 2000 one point of armor is 5mm of steel. Traveller 2300 suggests 10mm of steel is one point of armor, but this is a vague implication.

Edit: I do not have any edition of the Mongoose Mercenary book

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by Brandon C; June 4th, 2018 at 09:09 PM..
Old June 5th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Fovean Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Honestly, the 50 is so far off it seems like an arbitrary guess instead of a writer actually looking over existing info.
In the play test rules for MgT 2e damage scaled from Personal (x1) to Vehicle (x10) to Ship (x25) but this was dropped for the published version.
Old June 5th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
They aren't really house rules. I didn't even think of running the numbers until this thread.

The 50 scaling always struck me as a placeholder especially in light of a lot of the provided designs...

Quote:
Although ... Book 1 probably predated Supplement 6, so there were no numbers to run at the time.
That's ok the rules changed every time a new splat book was released...

Quote:
MgT, unlike several other systems I have, doesn't make real world comparisons. For example, in GURPS 1" (~25mm) of hardened steel is DR (Damage Resistance) 70. In Twilight 2000 one point of armor is 5mm of steel. Traveller 2300 suggests 10mm of steel is one point of armor, but this is a vague implication.
In Striker 25 mm of steel is 10 points of armor...

Quote:
Edit: I do not have any edition of the Mongoose Mercenary book
Ok the MgT1st 1st edition Mercenary has a bunch of amusing careers and 40k's equipment and weapons in the gear section.

While MgT1st 2nd edition was had much less interesting careers And a load of silly vehicles and the big List of Guns as it's gear section. Though the "Stronghold Design System" was amusing