Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old January 28th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
snip...

Establishing your approximate position following a jump, with a working computer and sensor suite, would be routine. Take your time and it drops to trivial. Need your exact position relative to the stuff in the system you have jumped to and it will take longer to run the calculations and comparisons with the nav data base, but it is a basic trig problem.
It is so routine, I don't even have them roll for it unless they misjump and so then have to figure out where (in the universe) they are.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old January 28th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiamKerrington Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to LiamKerrington

Hello.

I like the idea of a list about typical skill rolls. But I also see the risk that there would be unnecessary mentionings of rolls. So I propose that a gaming group should agree on when and what to roll and what not; based on this „memorandum of understanding“ such a collections should be created.

Also I emphasize to keep the core concept of skill roles in mind - (pg 56 Core Rulebook of NewTraveller): „The referee should only roll for checks when
  • The Travellers are in danger.
  • The task is especially difficult or hazardous.
  • The Travellers are under the pressure of time.
  • Success or failure is especially important or interesting.“

Thus a list with typically rolls should only list checks with target numbers of 8+ in my humble opinion, because the quotet suggestion speaks of noth else but keeping the number of rolls as small as possible limited to those rolls really required for the proper game experience.

Finally I wonder how many more typicall roles there might be, if I compare such a list with all the skill role examples already mentioned in the core rule book. So, what would be the point in having such a list, if there is little deviation from the aleady written examples.

Best wishes!
Liam

http://www.madadventurers.com = Mad Adventurers Society
Old January 28th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
why very difficult? with deneb nearby seems all you'd need is an orientation and brightness check. and it seems like a navigation skill.
The 'finding the Starship's location after jump' checks were from the MegaTraveller Starship Operator's Manual. Both Navigation and Sensor Ops were listed skills. Astrogation is handled a little different in MgT2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
I like the idea of a list about typical skill rolls.
And knowing more of what the players and NPCs are capable of makes it easier for the Referee. There doesn't have to be a skill check. But the Ref and the Players don't live in the 57th century and they might not know everything there is to know about running a Starship or Space Exploration or hanging out in Startown. Having a more thorough task list would definitely give them ideas and examples.
Old January 28th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
well, what else would game designers design?
Many design settings and story hooks.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 29th, 2018, 03:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
That all said, a comprehensive list of typical situations that may require a task roll could be useful to a lot of referees.
Agree totally. And one point on the"typical situations": once you've made up a task, your players may expect you to be consistent - which is one of the few times I think a task list may be helpful.

Just make sure you get the _Players Who Demand Consistency_ to do the paperwork; i.e. recording the task, and maybe even recalling it. "Can't find the 'Scan for hidden starships' task? Oh well, I'll just have to come up with something [that will prevent you from finding it prematurely and ruining all my prep work!]!" ;-)
- Count of Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - The Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - The Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron of Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Challenge Coins:
(#222) Plat.Ldr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:32 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I look at such lists as examples, not hard rules.

Also, to me this defeats the purpose of having a task system in the first place, which should be oriented towards rapid roll determination by situational criteria not hard definition.
Old January 29th, 2018, 07:59 PM

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
such lists ... defeats the purpose of having a task system in the first place, which should be oriented towards rapid roll determination by situational criteria not hard definition.
perhaps for novices. after several decades of gaming, many tasks should be well-understood and well-regularized and well-defined, yes?