Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 10th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default I'm Not A Good Player!

Most of the time, when we played RPGs, it was Traveller, and I was the referee.

The three notable exceptions was one Runequest campaign, where I was a player, and a couple of recent Traveller games run by Stan Shinn. Now, I am a player in a very occasional Star Wars campaign.

And in all cases, I realized that I stink as a player.

I have little to no imagination. I can't decide what my player should do. I go with the flow. I don't think ahead. I don't naturally go into puzzle-solving mode. With Stan's Traveller game, I had encyclopedic knowledge of the setting (generally, and compared with the others) but couldn't do anything useful with that knowledge.

It's frustrating, because the whole drive since 1994 was to play Traveller... then when I get a chance, I seem to fizzle.

I'm not (really) bummed about it. This is simply an observation, and a realization that in order to play a game well, I need to re-learn what it is I like about the game, and to see it from a player's perspective.

I suspect that that perspective will also make me a better referee.
Tools Link

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.