Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-1
Gallery : 0
dougamlin Citizen
Default Opening of the Frontier

Fellow Sophonts!

Like a few other posts I’ve dusted off the Traveller books and am going to referee the next generation of fans- my kids and their friends. We decided to start in the Spinward Marches in the 1202 time frame, right before the opening of the frontier. I really like the feel of the whole “Oklahoma Land Rush” feel. I’m also mashing in more of an 18th century feel, like in Colonial times in the US- flintlock muskets to repeating rifles. But in my case, it’s more like muskets to fusion guns. And everything in between.

I’m not sure how I want to structure the character play. My 1st thought is they are recently separated from the military/RQS, and therefore have many martial skills, as well as other talents. There are many, many avenues to take, so for the sake of brevity I am only listing a few here (I encourage others to list additional scenarios…all opinions are welcome). Here goes:
• Players are wanting to prospect, but they want to get out ahead of the rest of humanity to get the good stuff. Obvious conflicts:
o RQS, whose job is to keep people in and keep people (and others) out
o Rogue elements in the RQS that allow the players to get out ahead “for a fee”
o Other prospectors like themselves
 The others get to the good stuff right before the players
 The players get to the good stuff right before the others
o The players ARE the RQS, in a contracted form (a la a PMC)
 The RQS hires them because the RQS is stretched too thin and needs civilian paramilitary help
• The players are hired due to their military skills
o As part of a mercenary group
o As part of the Regency Armed Forces to help augment thinly spread forces (a la a PMC)
• Other scenarios?

I appreciate any and all feedback. I’m totally pumped about this and I want to do it in a way that my kids will want to play the game with their own kids, when the time comes.

To see more of this thread, please login or register.

colonies, frontier