Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old May 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 4
nobby-w Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
We also play Diplomacy. Those games can get really nasty at times, and the players do tend to have grudges the next year. I cannot see how you could reduce that to strictly calculation, or computer play.
An A.I. can only work with information it has to hand. It can still try to play, but may run into player actions it can't make sense of if they're dependent on context it has no access to.

On the other hand, neural networks are very good at picking up on all sorts of odd little snippets of information that might be correlated with positive outcomes. If such a hypothetical A.I. was able to pick up on nuances in speech or body language it might still work out that you were planning to backstab it.

It's the correlation vs. causation argument. A ML based heuristic could be picking up on any old thing it found in its training set. Again (in this case) the limiting factor in developing such a diplomacy-playing A.I. would be getting it a broad enough training set of data to work on.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Come again?
I played something that the referee claimed was Traveller, but it was so messed up, I doubt he knew what he was doing. This was back in 1983. I intend on playing and refereeing Traveller at a later date. My relatives are interested, so I have players lined up. I'm currently working on creating a game universe, two galaxy arms, full of planets and possible situations. I've also added in some STL speed ships, and a sector with active wormholes.

Earlier I use an acronym for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, a Middle Ages style rpg... there were some sf elements that the approximately 200 players over 5 years never found out. It took place on an artificial planet in a pocket universe.

Clearer ?
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
I'm currently working on creating a game universe, two galaxy arms, full of planets and possible situations.
wow.

good luck with that.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarn View Post
I played something that the referee claimed was Traveller, but it was so messed up, I doubt he knew what he was doing. This was back in 1983. I intend on playing and refereeing Traveller at a later date. My relatives are interested, so I have players lined up. I'm currently working on creating a game universe, two galaxy arms, full of planets and possible situations. I've also added in some STL speed ships, and a sector with active wormholes.

Earlier I use an acronym for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, a Middle Ages style rpg... there were some sf elements that the approximately 200 players over 5 years never found out. It took place on an artificial planet in a pocket universe.

Clearer ?
A little. My first non-solo RPing experience was messed up too. It involved the default adventure with Tunnels and Trolls. This was after I had gone through the very vanilla dry basic Traveller books (which didn't appeal to me at all), before my friend bought me Starter Traveller, and after I had done a lot of Dwarfstar stuff. As a result both my friend and I, not knowing how to play, wound up reading the DMs section outloud to one another, not realizing that the DM / Ref / GM was supposed to be the arbiter and essentially "god" of the game.

But, after a few sessions of D&D, our first real Traveller session, which I ran, was dynamite.

I've had lots of odd interactions on other boards, my net's been screwed with and all other kinds of things have happened to my person. So when someone comes here, has a history of posting on various topics, then says that they've never played the game ... it's a bit disconcerting for me, probably just a little baffling for others.

Either way, thanks for the clarification.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
There are quite a surprising subset board members who claim to play Traveller but use neither a Traveller Ruleset nor the Official Traveller Universe.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
wow.

good luck with that.
Well, 841 planets so far, 6 races, 2 empires; slow but sure. I'm not mapping the entirity of the galaxy arms... human life doesn't last long enough.

edit: The page linked in my .sig has two 'maps' of how much I have done out of many sectors left to do.

Last edited by JimMarn; May 2nd, 2016 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: info
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
There are quite a surprising subset board members who claim to play Traveller but use neither a Traveller Ruleset nor the Official Traveller Universe.
I thought I posted about when I first got here. The guy had us roll up regular characters. What ever he meant by that. And as we accelerated out of that solar system, passengers started dieing. Turned out rabies had mutated over the centuries and was in the plants in the passageways. From that location it attacked passengers and crew whenever they smelled the flowers or brushed up against the plants. I couldn't buy into it.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
A little. My first non-solo RPing experience was messed up too. It involved the default adventure with Tunnels and Trolls. This was after I had gone through the very vanilla dry basic Traveller books (which didn't appeal to me at all), before my friend bought me Starter Traveller, and after I had done a lot of Dwarfstar stuff. As a result both my friend and I, not knowing how to play, wound up reading the DMs section outloud to one another, not realizing that the DM / Ref / GM was supposed to be the arbiter and essentially "god" of the game.

But, after a few sessions of D&D, our first real Traveller session, which I ran, was dynamite.

I've had lots of odd interactions on other boards, my net's been screwed with and all other kinds of things have happened to my person. So when someone comes here, has a history of posting on various topics, then says that they've never played the game ... it's a bit disconcerting for me, probably just a little baffling for others.

Either way, thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome. I bought the early CD of pdfs, and a few GURPS and Mongoose books. Haven't yet decided which version I'll be running yet. My siblings have told me they like Traveller.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
I thought I posted about when I first got here.

Jim, there's no need at all to "apologize" or defend yourself for not playing Traveller.

In fact, I'm damn certain that far more people play with Traveller than play Traveller despite MgT bringing new players into the setting.

In crafting your own setting, you're following a decades-long and much honored practice among Traveller devotees.

Last edited by Whipsnade; May 3rd, 2016 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Jim, there's no need at all to "apologize" or defend yourself for not playing Traveller.

In fact, I damn certain that far more people play with Traveller than play Traveller despite MgT bringing new players into the setting.

In crafting your own setting, you're following a decades-long and much honored practice among Traveller devotees.
My play of traveller in the last few years has amounted to a few hours of demoing.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.