Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old June 30th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

They are giving it away fro free as a download - you can't get cheaper than that.

They intend to update the free stuff as new releases hit the shelves, so if you wait you will get the lot for free.

If you want to you can buy the starter set and then use the FREE basic set to expand the game.

The books are being released at intervals so you won't have to buy them all at once - in fact you can get away with just the FREE stuff to play the game.
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Space Hamster Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
What do you like? I'm all ears!
One of the things I really like about it, is that they are trying to keep down stat escalation with the levels. I am not a real fan of levels. Third edition at level 20 could have you adding 25 to 30 to the die rolls. We don't know what level 20 will be in fifth edition yet, but I am thinking 0 to 11 would be added. I think low level will be 0 to 6 or so.

With them keeping the bonuses down with the leveling, content you create does not need to be played right away. You can slide it some levels with minor change and have it be good. I have run AD&D games back in the day and created small adventures to run the players through. I ran a sandbox game so I did not railroad my players. This lead to a number of the adventures I created, not being viable because they would out level them too quickly.
- Captain Jeelg
Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The completely FREE basic rules download is now available for those interested.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
The completely FREE basic rules download is now available for those interested.
Thanks. Just downloaded them and gave 'em a quick-see.

Comments:

The advantage/disadvantage concept is new and neat. You make two d20 rolls when you are attempting a task. If you are advantaged, then you take the higher of the two throws. If you are disadvantaged, then you take the lower roll.

Example: You are sneaking around but wearing armor that is heavy, not flexible, and noisy. You are at a disadvantage when wearing this armor while trying to sneak. You roll twice in order to sneak, taking the lower of the two throws as your sneak throw because you are at a disadvantage.

That's pretty neat.

Interesting the ability scores are generated in Step 3 of the character creation process and not in Step 1. Character concept comes first, followed by the stat generation.

Humans now get racial bonuses to attributes! That's different.

You don't have to roll up a character. You can just use the standard attribute array for quick generation. This was taken from 3rd edition--the DM's quick generation for NPCs. Now, PCs can use it.

Wow. They've made it a heck of a lot easier to gain levels at the lower levels. In D&D 3, it took 1000 XP to reach 2nd level. In this game, it only takes 300 XP. I suppose that's an effort to keep characters alive at the lower levels.

Character levels are now grouped into tiers, which gives a definition on what the levels mean. I like that.

The info on character races in this basic book is more than what I've seen in advanced books for other editions of the game. This is great for roleplaying, for both the DM and the player. Good stuff.

The "base" game universe for D&D 5 has gone back to the Forgotten Realms. I'm glad to see that. The Realms was always one of my favorite D&D gaming worlds.

Humans have subraces! Based on their nationalities from the Realms. I dig it!

Four basic character classes: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard. Back to basics. Cool. Nice, full class descriptions.

There's a note to playing characters as gay or transsexual. Well, aren't we Politically Correct and cognizant of the times.

Character background system is presented, with character personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.

I like this: Some heavy armor has a STR requirement. If you can't meet that requirement and wear the armor, your base movement speed is decreased by 10'. Thus, if you're not strong enough to wear the armor, you move a bit slower than those who are strong enough to wear it.

Lifestyle Expenses: I love this. PCs pay for all that stuff that happens "off camera".

Passive Checks: They're making official what d20 3 and 3.5 users have been doing for a long time. A Passive Check is Taking 10 on a throw (like Pereption) without the usual requirements that are needed for Taking 10 (can't be in combat, etc).

Not crazy about the group check rule. I think they could come up with something easier--something based on a single roll for the entire group.

Excellent description of how the six attributes are used in the game.

Saving Throws are now tied directly to the character's attributes. A DEX save. A CHR save. And so on.

The combat round is still 6 seconds long.

I like what they did with resting and regaining hit points.

Initiative is rolled for every combatant. I never did like rolling initiative for a "side", and I've always used individual initiative in my games.

Actions, Bonus Actions, and Reactions. This is all nicely done.

RANGES! They finally figured out something easier than having to count squares all the time. There are only two ranges for distance weapons, long and short. If at short range, you attack normally. If at long range, you are at a disadvantage and must roll twice for your attack, taking the lower result of the two. THAT'S AWESOME! And easy to play and remember.

Skill points have been generically melted down into a class proficiency bonus. While this is easier than keeping up with skill points, I think it makes the characters more generic. Not sure how I feel about this change--and it is a major change.

VERDICT: Everything considered....I like it. I like it a lot.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
Noble

Wow you read fast

I'm still generating characters.

So far I like it too.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:22 PM

Space Hamster Citizen

I am still reading as well. I really like that the Proficiency Bonus goes from +2 at 1st level to +6 at 20th level. This really spreads out the viability of the NPCs across many levels.
- Captain Jeelg
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Hamster View Post
I am still reading as well. I really like that the Proficiency Bonus goes from +2 at 1st level to +6 at 20th level. This really spreads out the viability of the NPCs across many levels.
I'm not sure how I feel about the Proficiency Bonus. On the one hand, it sure makes things easier having this one bonus to work with. Plus, you don't have to mess with skill points any more. That's a plus.

On the other hand, there's no real way to have a character EXTREMELY GOOD in a particular area. Sure, there were skill point limits, but a character could use skill points to max out the areas where he shined--those skills tied to his highest stats--and get a pretty solid modifier, even at 1st level (I've seen +9 on some 1st level characters).

As the character levels, and the player keeps putting points into one or a few skills, the character could be mediocre is a lot of other areas but be exceptional with the skill he is focusing upon.

I don't think the same effect is quite possible with D&D 5's Proficiency Bonus system.

But, I think that's a minor gripe among a lot of very good things about this edition of D&D.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Noble

It could be one of the options in the Player's Handbook - use feats or some such mechanic to take certain skills as advantages or gain a bonus in some skills.

Have to wait and see I suppose.

One thing about it I do like is that the difference between characters separated by a few levels won't be as extreme as in previous editions (at least from what I've seen so far).
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Wizards of the Coast is owned by Hasbro, a TOY company, that looks for at least a 30% return on investment in the first 12 to 18 months of a product, and ideally complete return on investment plus a hefty profit in that time. I would say those prices reflect that.

Also, I have heard rumors that Wizards and all of the games from Axis and Allies are up for sale by Hasbro as they are not productive enough. If not sold, Hasbro may simply let them die.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:22 PM

Space Hamster Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Wizards of the Coast is owned by Hasbro, a TOY company, that looks for at least a 30% return on investment in the first 12 to 18 months of a product, and ideally complete return on investment plus a hefty profit in that time. I would say those prices reflect that.

Also, I have heard rumors that Wizards and all of the games from Axis and Allies are up for sale by Hasbro as they are not productive enough. If not sold, Hasbro may simply let them die.
Hasbro is a public company. It has to generate more profit than a private company or the shareholders will bail.

I believe Magic the Gathering has a good return. The D&D team is only 15 people right now, and Mike Mearls said it was smaller before. I think they will do pretty well on initial sales. They have said they do not plan to turn out as much product as before so this leads me to believe they will keep the size of the team down. If they keep the team down in size they will be able to minimize cost.

In the world of big business, everything is for sale for the right price.
- Captain Jeelg