Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old April 18th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
Thanos Citizen
Default FASA-Trek

I would Kill for a copy of the FASA Star Trek. (That didn't cost an arm and a leg)
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
I would Kill for a copy of the FASA Star Trek. (That didn't cost an arm and a leg)
It's a very simple game. It uses a roll-under percentage mechanic. And, it's got a neat, almost Traveller like, character generation system so that characters come out of generation with backgrounds. You'll know what they did in Starfleet before they reached their current position.

The game nails the Old Series vibe, though much of the game was published with the original movies, through the movies with the red uniforms (starting with Wrath of Khan). I still like the old Kirk blue, gold/green, and red shirts with the gold piping on the sleeves--with each ship and assignment having their own badge, though. If I ever do set a game again using these rules, I'll run it in that original timeline.

Oh, and the bridge combat with another ship is fantastic. Each of the major positions has something to do. The Captain calls the shots. The Helmsman moves the ship's marker on the map and rolls attack throws when the ship's weapons are fired. The Science Officer rolls dice for the ship's sensors, to get a lock, so that the Helmsman can fire. The Engineer manages the ship's power, diverting it to different stations as needed and as ordered by the captain. The Communications officer not only is the first roleplay contact many times with contacts outside the ship, but the station also administers damage control.

And, I remember the Medical characters having neat things to do since the game goes into detail about different drugs that are used in the game--more detail than I've seen in other rpgs.

It's a damn cool game.

When I first opened the box, waayyy back in the day, I about feinted when I saw the game comes complete with not one, but two sets of deck plans! One for the Constitution class, and one for the Klingon D7 battlecruiser. Plans that show every deck, every room, everything. Multiple pages of deck plans for these massive ships.

Excellent game.

EXAMPLE 1 OF THE DECK PLANS

EXAMPLE 2 OF THE DECK PLANS
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Actually, S4, the drugs rules are directly comparable to (and could be a restatement of) the CT ones.

Also, interviews with William Ware Theiss state categorically that the arrowhead is a fleetwide ID, not a ship's ID;and that the one in Charlie X is specifically the Merchant Marine. Given that production ignored the memo from Theiss re the insignia patches in Omega Glory and Planet Crusher, we wind up with 6 discrete patches (the Enterprise arrowhead, the Constellation's 2/3 trefoil, the Exeter's rectangle, the HQ Rosette, and the Merchant Marine insignia) - it's probably not actually per ship, but per named fleet.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Actually, S4, the drugs rules are directly comparable to (and could be a restatement of) the CT ones.

Also, interviews with William Ware Theiss state categorically that the arrowhead is a fleetwide ID, not a ship's ID;and that the one in Charlie X is specifically the Merchant Marine. Given that production ignored the memo from Theiss re the insignia patches in Omega Glory and Planet Crusher, we wind up with 6 discrete patches (the Enterprise arrowhead, the Constellation's 2/3 trefoil, the Exeter's rectangle, the HQ Rosette, and the Merchant Marine insignia) - it's probably not actually per ship, but per named fleet.
I've read/seen the prevailing wisdom is that it's an insignia per assignment, vessel or station.

Though, to your point, the starbase insignias are either exact or close, which could mean star base command.

In the Enterprise episode where the Defiant is captured in the Mirror Universe, we see that vessel having it's own symbol.

On trek book covers, there are different patches for different vessel.

In TMP, Epsilon 9 has its own symbol.

And, I believe in the FASA game, there is a section that details the assignment patches, showing the arrowhead as Enterprise only.

I've got an old Trek chronology around here somewhere, written by Okuda, that speculates that the arrowhead was adopted fleet-wide in celebration of Kirk's 5-Year mission (though, I don't know why).

Personally, I think, originally, the patches were supposed to be vessel specific but have been quasi-retconned since the movies started happening.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:08 PM

Here's some speculation by Memory Alpha...

Quote:
A great deal of fan fiction and other non-canon sources speculate that the Starfleet-wide adoption of the Enterprise emblem was probably to honor the ship and her crew for their successful and historic five-year mission. This has not been referenced on screen, however. Considering that one of Star Trek's long-held influences is the Age of Sail, it may be a reference to the British Royal Navy's adoption of Nelson Chequer – the particular coloration of the ships of Admiral Horatio Nelson – on all of its ships after the Battle of Trafalgar. In a form of fact emulating fiction (and vice-versa), the US Air Force Space Command badges have a delta arrowhead very similar to the 1960s-designed Enterprise insignia, while the 22nd century Starfleet insignia seems to be a deliberate synthesis between the TOS era pennant and the NASA logo.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Theiss was the costume designer for TOS.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

If the patches did denote fleet assignments, the one used by the Enterprise could have been the Admiralty patch, for ships not assigned to any fleet. If for some reason the fleet patches were dropped it would make sense that the Admiralty patch became used by the entire navy.

Hans
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
If the patches did denote fleet assignments, the one used by the Enterprise could have been the Admiralty patch, for ships not assigned to any fleet. If for some reason the fleet patches were dropped it would make sense that the Admiralty patch became used by the entire navy.

Hans
I've assumed the Enterprise arrowhead to be the "exploration" fleet - the fleet for the defense of the federation core. The Admiralty patch would appear to be the sideways arrowhead used in Ent. for the defiant, but in TOS on the side of all the ships and in the background in the conference room.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Theiss was the costume designer for TOS.
Where'd you dig up that quote, though? I see no mention of it on Memory Alpha, nor have I seen it in Okuda's Trek Chronology.

I would think that info would be more wide spread.
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Where'd you dig up that quote, though? I see no mention of it on Memory Alpha, nor have I seen it in Okuda's Trek Chronology.

I would think that info would be more wide spread.
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2329

Sorry - I got the address line wrong. It was Justman to Theiss. Justman, the producer.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene