Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Long (back in early 90's) ago, I played in a campaign of PBM (not yet email, as most people didn't have it by then) based on the Nobles Book (1E) where each player was a petty noble (a banneret at the begining) begining in 492 (just after Uther's death) and whose objective was to grow your family and fief and raise glory.

It was run in quarterly turns, each divided in 3 months, in each of wich you took a major action (akin of En Garde!'s weeks).
It should be noted that the GM was bending things about for that one - tho' Nobles Book (or the 3/4e Lordly Domains, for that matter) work in year-long economic cycles, and a few events per year, broken down only to seasons. I've often made use of both books. When it becomes relevant in my next campaign, i'll be using my homebrewed hybrid...

Which reminds me - I was looking at the Nocturnal Media forums (NM is the company producing 5e now), and noticed that Greg Stafford admits to Pendragon never being "done" - he tinkers constantly. And he runs Pendragon, not just designs it. He also keeps dissing on 3e and 4e... apparently, he wasn't involved.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
It should be noted that the GM was bending things about for that one - tho' Nobles Book (or the 3/4e Lordly Domains, for that matter) work in year-long economic cycles, and a few events per year, broken down only to seasons. I've often made use of both books. When it becomes relevant in my next campaign, i'll be using my homebrewed hybrid...
Sure he did. After all, he converted a RPG into a more strategic one. Some skills were deleted, while some others were given added importance, as did having a family (if you died heirless, you started again with another banneret).

In any case, the fact that converting it into such diferent game was so easy shown us how adaptable the game was, and the campaign was quite fun.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; December 18th, 2015 at 07:02 AM..
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Darkwing Citizen

Some of my favorite arthurian novels:
Parke Godwin's Firelord, Beloved Exile, The Last Rainbow (Arthur, Guinevere after his death, and St. Patrick).
Jack Whyte's Skystone series (start's with Arthur's great-grampas, a Roman general and a Roman centurion, works it's way through Arthur)
Mary Stewart's Hollow Hills series
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon series
H. Warner Munn's Merlin's Godson books
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Darkwing Citizen

Forgot to add, I forget the author's name, but there was another series that had Merlin inducted into the Mysteries of Mithras, that I liked. Don't have it here, so I'm not sure the title or author.
John Jakes had a decent Arthurian novel, tho I can't recall the title.
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

calmar11 Citizen
Default Hi !

Hi !
One of my favorite game. I was GM for it.
But relatively recently , I found all Chivalry & Sorcery 1st and 2nd ed. after decades of difficulties...and was amazed. So , I think Pendragon I wouln't use.
Nevertheles, it has definitely an amazing "flavour" that no other game have...
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
nobby-w Citizen
Default I remember playing Pendragon some years ago.

Of course, I had a character called Sir Cumference (for some reason the D.M. wouldn't let me do Sir Cumcision; not entirely sure why) and one of the other players had a character called Sir Loin de Boeuf.

As I recall, we were chasing down the Whetstone of Tydwyl Tyclyff1 and wound up in the faerie kingdom. I also tried (and failed) to write a mocking poem. Nobody elected to buy any unusual dogs.

And, yes, there were many, many Holy Grail quotes. 'Twas a silly place ...

1 Which, incidentally, gets a mention in the Book of the Wyrd - something cited by various old school RPG designer types (Gygax and Stafford at least IIRC) and which is still in print (or was not that long ago) and can be plundered for ideas.

Last edited by nobby-w; December 18th, 2015 at 03:05 PM..
Old December 18th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

The new Pendragon stuff coming out is much less fantastic and far more political/conquest related. Take a look at the Book of the Warlord for an idea. Stoltz has put years into plotting out estates and nobles throughout the kingdom. It's impressive.

DISCLAIMER: Worked on it, in the credits.
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
The new Pendragon stuff coming out is much less fantastic and far more political/conquest related. Take a look at the Book of the Warlord for an idea. Stoltz has put years into plotting out estates and nobles throughout the kingdom. It's impressive.
It's also a turn-off for many fans of 4th ed. Myself and my friends amongst them.

Greg's moved is "Let's do realistic dark ages" into his Pendragon efforts, and alienated a large portion of the player base... those for whom Camelot should be a magical place.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 19th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Agree

The original Pendragon was a brilliant game - Le Morte d' Arthur, The Crystal Cave etc... (to put a modern slant on it you could definitely add a Game of Thrones element to Uther period right up to Arthurs's crowning, and revisit these themes during the twilight days of Arthur's reign)

If I want a dark ages Brits vs Angles, Saxons, Danes and Jutes with a touch of magic thrown in I would use a different game system all together.