Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
GM Joe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
5E overall is an amazing system, and in my humble opinion, the best version of D&D to be produced in over 20 years. I highly recomend taking a look at it if your a D&D fan.
So, not as good as 2E?

How would you compare it to 1st Edition AD&D?
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
So, not as good as 2E?

How would you compare it to 1st Edition AD&D?
I did say "in over 20 years". So I would say it is better than 2E, and yeah, better than AD&D as well. So let me amend my statement.

5E may be the BEST version of D&D since the blue box edition of Basic.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM

GM Joe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
I did say "in over 20 years". So I would say it is better than 2E, and yeah, better than AD&D as well. So let me amend my statement.

5E may be the BEST version of D&D since the blue box edition of Basic.
Wow, that's something! I've been ignoring it, but I may have to pick it up now.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Just download the free stuff and play.

You will be hooked.

I promised myself I would just use the free basic rules and only pick up the PH and the Starter boxed set if they were on special offer.
Needless to say that resolution didn't last and I bought the Starter set and PH the day they came out

MM will be mine tomorrow - running next session on sunday and so far having a great deal of fun.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:24 PM

GM Joe Citizen

I just downloaded the free rules, and as a long-time 1st Edition player, I had to find out how it compared. So I did a Find on the document, searching first for 'milieux'. Not a single instance! Well, what about 'milieu'? Nope! Not a one. It's as though they've written it for commoners rather than the educated nobility. Disgusting!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

I played it in play test and a little since release. Mechanics wise, probably the best version ever produced of D&D. A little too munchkiny for me though. The 8 hours rest to completely heal up a person who was totally mangled in battle smacks of kids video games. Same with the ability to possibly live through damage almost double your HP.

I'll stick with the game that Gary thought was a better D&D successor than 3.X...
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
A little too munchkiny for me though. The 8 hours rest to completely heal up a person who was totally mangled in battle smacks of kids video games.
Depends on what you consider hit points to represent. If they're actual damage (cuts, blood loss, tissue damage, broken bones, and the like), then you are right, of course.

But, if hit points represent fatigue, bruises, scrapes, muscle strains, and the like, then it is quite believable for a character to be good as new after a good night's sleep.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:45 PM

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Depends on what you consider hit points to represent.
The same as in all versions of D&D. That's why it is munchkiny. Same as it would be if you house ruled it into 1st, 2nd or 3rd Edition. Apples to apples as I'm COMPARING to other versions of D&D.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
The same as in all versions of D&D. That's why it is munchkiny. Same as it would be if you house ruled it into 1st, 2nd or 3rd Edition. Apples to apples as I'm COMPARING to other versions of D&D.
They're all equally as munchkiny on that score.
Actually, older editions were worse - you went from just fine (Max to 1 HP remaining), to dead (0 HP remaining). The -10 rule was optional in AD&D, not present at all in OE that I've been able to find, and recommended but optional in 3e...

In 5E, 0HP isn't dead. It's "Check to see if you're stable or not"... And it's explicit that no injuries show until half your HP are gone.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:25 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

If we go outside of D&D, there are many d20 based games (based on D&D 3.X) that change the definition of hit points.

As far as D&D goes, I haven't read the definition of each edition, but I suspect that there are differences in different editions, especially in 4th edition (which I never played).

I do remember Gygax saying something about a person not being considered dead until about -3 HP or so in the AD&D DM's Guide, but my memory is very hazy on the specifics.