Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5

Traveller 5 Discussion of the Fifth edition of Traveller, released Spring 2013.

Old December 6th, 2017, 01:58 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Adventure "paths" (I don't know what to call it)

Us grognards, we've been playing Traveller for decades. We've also read the old sci if that inspired it. So we know what we can do. We know the Solar Queen, the Mercenary, the Merchant Prince, van Rijn. We know the ultimate Traveller, Dumarest. We know that Citizens of the Galaxy turn out to be more than expected.

Maybe younger people don't know these. Maybe they are at a loss when playing Traveller. Maybe they don't even know Firefly. They live on JJ Abrams' Star Trek, or Disney's Star Wars. Or Guardians of the Galaxy. None of those are particularly Traveller.

Ok I've suggested a problem. Now my pitch. I think part of a Player's Handbook could suggest goals or development paths for players. It could do it via checklists or simply telling stories.

That segues into the point of this post. What do you think are likely paths for players to think about, to riff off of?

For example, a merchant character may start out on working passage, eventually buy a ship, then become a privateer, and finally broker a peace deal on a world... for a title and land. Four long goals, with plenty of diversions or course changes available along the way.

A mercenary would start as a grunt, then a squad leader or cavalry, then a platoon leader, perhaps work up to general. Or perhaps something a little less orthodox would be a better illustration.

Different paths for the scholar, scout, spacer, entertainer, and so on. The Rogue would try to score ever larger cons. Although some characters might be harder to pin down - like the Agent.

And as always, examples should serve as springboards for the imagination, not strait jackets.
Tools Link

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.