Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+
Default Tell Us About Your New MGT Setting

Tell us about your new setting that you started specifickly for MGT. No conversions, no updates to the new setting. Only brand spankin' new setting you came up with that utilizes MGT.

And share why you feel that MGT is the best system for it.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Gallery : 20
Madarin Dude Citizen

Right now I am in the process of putting together a known space setting. (As in the writings of Larry Niven) I will keep you updated on progress. Still in the planning stages now. I am planning on having all the different humans available for play.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

beowulf2044 Citizen

I'm currently using Jason Flynn Kemp's Confederation of Planets setting using the Mongoose rules. I'll be running a game at a convention this coming week. I'll report how it all went after I return.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:47 AM

beowulf2044 Citizen

I love Mandarin Dude's idea of modeling Known Space. Flashlight-lasers, fly cycles, autodocs, General Products hulls, hyperdrive motor that gets three days to the light year, 30-g fusion engines (reactionless engines availible), Puppeteers, Kzinti, Trinocs, Grogs, We Made It, Jinx, Wunderland, and all the rest of it.

Known Space has the same appeal to me as Traveller does; I love the eccentricities found throughout.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

3 day to the LY is WORSE than J1... that's just shy of 10days per parsec...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madarin Dude View Post
Right now I am in the process of putting together a known space setting. (As in the writings of Larry Niven) I will keep you updated on progress. Still in the planning stages now. I am planning on having all the different humans available for play.
Any chance you can split the material in four sections:

+ The sublight/pre-Kzinti Known Space

+ The Man-Kzinthi wars time

+ The Ringworld time

+ The rules/hard data elements

So that one can pick up the pieces he likes/finds playabel/needs (i.e. I would like the timeline and world fluff for the first two elements)
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

beowulf2044 Citizen

Yep, 3 days to the light is slower. It's not always about speed, or what's better than what. When I was comparing Traveller and Known Space, I mentioned eccentricity. So many Science Fiction settings are so 'vanilla' ('blasters', etc). Known Space has qualities that are different. Traveller did a simuilar thing. Snub Pistols are wonderfully versatile, but they are a short range weapon. Lasers are availible, but come with back pack power sources attached. Combat Enviroment Suits are great for a wide range of situations, but they're not rated for vaccuum, and the early versions have a time limit on the 'chill can' when masking heat signature.

For me, it's all the unusual and somewhat limiting factors that make the Traveller Universe seem more 'real'.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Gallery : 21
lucasdigital Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf2044 View Post
For me, it's all the unusual and somewhat limiting factors that make the Traveller Universe seem more 'real'.
Amen to that!

One of my pet hates for where Trek went was the idealised view of technology. Technology has always, and will always be about compromises. Hell, the whole transporter idea was cooked up to save on budget. They didn't want to have to show shuttle landings all the time...

In Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy, all Adamist ships had to be spherical to conform to their "jump" grid's. Anything sticking out of the sphere would be lost in transit. In normal space, these ships would need to unfurl radiators to do anything energetic, or risk melting. It always felt more real, and worked really well dramatically. When ships jumped to another star system, they had to first match their velocities with the target system - the further away a system, the more fuel you needed to burn to get to a matching velocity. Such a simple thing, but absolutely essential in the real world.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Gallery : 20
Madarin Dude Citizen

As far as my setting goes I am going for the time period of Neutron Star. Which would make for most of the tech. general Products hulls will be Puppeteer built only and rare and expensive. (ie. pre ringworld novels) i want to stat out some of the various races too. Humans from the colonies and try to work out balance too with it. Jinxians will be notably different from other humans. So will crashlanders.

Do want to work out ships in a different way too. I am thinking a scheme where 3 days to the light year for an equivelent jump one. The ship used by Beowolf Schaffer to find the galactic core would of course be a bit faster.