Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:33 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+
Default Squad Leader to Striker?

Anyone tried taking Squad Leader/ASL and giving it a Striker type overlay? Would seem to be a bit cheaper than miniatures, and you could use their maps.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 01:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to convert the Avalon Hill game Starship Troopers to something approximating Striker, or adapting Striker to Starship Troopers?

For more mechanized combat, I have both Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader to work with, along with the Arab-Israeli Wars. SPI's Tank might also work.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Ogre, GEV and Battlesuit are all candidates for getting the Striker crossover treatments too. The FASA Battletech:Battletroops game would work well too.

The 'selling point' of Striker is the nature of the orders system you issue to troops.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:37 PM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

I've never tried it, but using SL maps and counters for Striker seems to quite doable. The scale is basically the same.

I wouldn't try to mix the rules...
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:43 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Depends on what you mean by converting SL/ASL to Striker.

If you simply want to use the maps, then, should be easy once you agree on a hex size (I think they're 20m in SL). Then it's just a matter of adapting the movement rules to the more rigid hex format.

You'd also need to consider any issue with hex stacking and such.

If you're talking beyond that, I guess it's a matter of what you're trying to do. Pretty sure you're not interested in converting the respective Orders of Battle in to Striker vehicles.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:56 PM

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
Anyone tried taking Squad Leader/ASL and giving it a Striker type overlay?
pulled out my old squad leader games last week, been playing them, was just thinking exactly that. maybe instead of squads depict individual fire teams. not sure how well it would work though, the ranges for modern and futuristic weapons seem to greatly exceed those of wwii.

Quote:
Would seem to be a bit cheaper than miniatures, and you could use their maps.
nowadays you can design and print and laminate any counters or maps you want. even started drawing up a meu of counters - fire teams, m1a1's, m198's ....
Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:52 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Anyone tried taking Squad Leader/ASL and giving it a Striker type overlay? Would seem to be a bit cheaper than miniatures, and you could use their maps.
I have no objections, as long as they bring over Lt. Stahler...

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

jec10 Citizen

Conceptually you'd think it would be easy, but there are fish-hooks. In CT/Striker you remove casualties individually, and troops fire individually. In SL you're (mostly) dealing with clumps of troops. So you're going to need to undertake some pretty major surgery to the game mechanics one way or the other.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:45 AM
Baron

In military briefings you have "Commander's Intent"; in addition to the "what" to do you get the reasoning behind it. Since I'm not in charge of anything I'll settle for "Instigator's Intent".

In atpollard's game there's a space of off-screen time where Lt Cranston and some Dragons, assisted by local LEO, take on an entrenched crime syndicate in house to house fighting through large parts of Oregund. I visualize scenes similar to "A Bridge Too Far" and "Band of Brothers", with some slightly different technology.

The plan is to sketch up the units in Striker terms and play ASL a little. Avalon Hill has decades of conflict simulation experience and Striker gives me detail in the nit and grit. Maybe treat Lt Cranston as a Tiger tank equivalent with her plamsa gun and battledress. Sadly for her, there are civilians in the area of effect so she has to be judicious in her use of high energy.

In the end, between the mix of the games, I'll have ideas for scenes to write and a better understanding of the limits and issues the characters might face. I will likely do something similar when Triplanetary gets here. Ben Webb is thrust into the interstellar scene of mega deals and politics. What all challenges might he have to overcome?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:52 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
pulled out my old squad leader games last week, been playing them, was just thinking exactly that. maybe instead of squads depict individual fire teams. not sure how well it would work though, the ranges for modern and futuristic weapons seem to greatly exceed those of wwii.
Even WWII weapons range exceeded their usage. Modern built M1A's are used at the 600 yard range. Ammo conservation and fire discipline shortened the usage ranges.

Quote:
nowadays you can design and print and laminate any counters or maps you want. even started drawing up a meu of counters - fire teams, m1a1's, m198's ....
Any good links? Just ordered a used copy of the ASL rules off Amazon.