Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old February 5th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I would think for D&D characteristics -3 to Traveller UPP, CHA goes to SOC.

Levels, divide in half, first half goes to primary stat for that profession (STR for fighters, INT for M-Us, EDU for clerics, DEX for thieves etc) and the other half to the three physical stats for most classes, the 'personality' stats for M-Us.

Divide levels by 2 and roll on the barbarian tables.

For M-Us substitute Engineering (Magic) for Blade Combat, and Clerics Medical for Bow Combat.
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

I've ported Gamma World characters to Traveller. In general it seems that porting characters is more interesting when done with consideration rather than mechanization.

(But guidelines are always very helpful)
Tools Link
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

AsenRG Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
Hum, that makes more sense than it should.
Of course it would make sense. After all, it's how all magic systems out there have been written!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
A skill yes, but no specifics on how to use it, limits, spell descriptions and so on. That was why I say no system
None of these are necessary. It's not really likely to get real-world practitioners contradicting your description of magic.

I admit I've never ported a character to Traveller. Now, Traveller characters have been ported back to systems with less flavourful chargen, because it makes more sense, IMO. And I don't play only Traveller.

My personal point of pride is porting a character as an Exalted NPC, an Abyssal!
- Alien Module 6: Solomani (Introduction).
Old February 5th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
I've ported Gamma World characters to Traveller. In general it seems that porting characters is more interesting when done with consideration rather than mechanization.
Exactly. For a one-shot mechanization is fine. But if it is long term, more complete, detailed solutions become necessary.

Having more than 6 attributes in the UPP is not unhead of. Traveller 5 has alternate characteristics for STR DEX END to better reflect the capabilities of different sophonts.
Additional characteristics are fine too. Traveller 5 has Sanity, Judge Dredd introduces Influence as well as keeping SOC. You use one attribute or the other in a social interaction depending on what is more situation appropriate. I call mine Personality (PER) so not to interfere with SOC or Vargr and Charisma. Or better everyone has Charisma! Mwahaha!

My conversion for classes into careers looks at the idea of starting ages of 1st level characters and what you get. It LOOKS like humans start ~15 + 1d4, 1d6, or 2d6 years depending on class. Hmmm. looks like starting fantasy characters take 1 or 2 or 3 terms to become "1st" level. So change it to 14 like your standard Traveller "barbarians" create career charts and for those "careers" that take longer than 1 term to get to "first level" add some stuff about a 1 term "Fighter School" or 2 term "Wizard's Academy". Traveller has universities, right?

Having created a process, I can find a way to convert demihuman aging Traveller style. Either terms are 4 years and the long lived ones don't age, or terms for them take more years, like the Vegans in the Mongoose Solomani Rim book (their terms are 11 years IIRC).
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:45 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
A skill yes, but no specifics on how to use it, limits, spell descriptions and so on. That was why I say no system
I'm guessing that Miller wasn't paid to write those two pages

Another supplement with lots of conversions was The Primal Order by WOTC shortly before they bought TSR.

Our old pal Siembieda makes an appearance.

No Traveller, though....
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:06 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Levels...
That is always the sticking point. What does a D&D "Level" mean, anyway?

As a rating of overall class proficiency, D&D, "Level" most directly translates into "Hit Points", Saving Throws, THAC0, new spells, and special abilities.

Canonical Traveller does not use "Hit Points", per se. Nor are there any spells.

The only saving throws in Trav are vs. Intoxication, Poison, and Radiation, and are usually rolled against END "at-or-under".

That leaves THAC0 and special abilities.

Subtract unmodified THAC0 from 20 for each weapon type, then divide each result by 5. Round off to the nearest integer. This should yield a range of 0 to 4 for each weapon -- "Bow-4, Dagger-4, and Crossbow-3" would not be unusual for a high-level former D&D character.

But what about the "INT+EDU" skill-levels limit? This would be where the aforementioned "consideration" comes in.

As essentially TL-1 Barbarians, the former D&D characters would likely have or choose from the Trav skills of: Animal/Equestrian, Athletics (climbing, running, swimming), Blade Combat, Bow Combat, Brawling/Melee, Carousing, Gambling, Hunting, Language, Leadership, Medical, Navigation (ground or water), Prospecting, and Vehicle (beast-drawn or water craft).

(I'm mixing CT and MongT, here.)

Clerics and Paladins might have Medical skills ("Hand me those leeches...").
Clerics and Druids may also know Admin, Diplomat, Liaison, and Persuade.
Rangers know Recon.
Mages might have some knowledge of basic astronomy, biology, chemistry or other physical sciences. They may even be able to manufacture crude explosives ("I'm casting ... err ... throwing a fireball at the K'kree!")
Thieves might also have Deception, Intrusion, Stealth, and Streetwise.

OR, the referee might just have to chuck everything make up some new skills on the fly!

There's room for rote number-crunching, and there's room for "common-sense" choices.

It's all part of the game!
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:22 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keklas Rekobah View Post
That is always the sticking point. What does a D&D "Level" mean, anyway?

As a rating of overall class proficiency, D&D, "Level" most directly translates into "Hit Points", Saving Throws, THAC0, new spells, and special abilities.
In Traveller these have analogues of "Level" are called Terms of Service, Service Ranks and Skill Levels. The real differences are that the "Levels" in Traveller are not received all at once in a uniform and wholly predictable manner, nor does a character generally receive "Levels" after character generation.
Quote:
Canonical Traveller does not use "Hit Points", per se. Nor are there any spells.
Quite so, but still no less than 4 distinct magic systems have been written for Mongoose Traveller in the following books
  • Flynn's Guide to Magic in Traveller
  • Netherell: Planet of Magic (for Twilight Sector)
  • Strontium Dog
  • Worlds Apart
IMHO Flynn's Guide is the best it is the most systematic and the easiest to port over d20 directly to Traveller that will oil even some die hard grognards. Also Jason Kemp the author of Cepheus Engine wrote it. So that's a plus.

Quote:
That leaves THAC0 and special abilities.
THACO or D20 Base Attack Bonus take care of themselves in the numeric conversion. Special abilities are merely Alien Traits. Jason Kemp also wrote Flynn's Guide to Alien Creation which has many Alien Traits such as:
Darkvision: Members of this species can see in the dark up to 9 meters (6 squares). Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and characters with darkvision can function with no light at all.
Racial Enemy: Members of this species gain a +1 DM on attack rolls against members of another species, as determined by the history and culture of the species.
Stalwart Movement: Members of this species can move at their base speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium and heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
There are many more in the book I but I do not want to quote the whole darned thing. But more than enough to esssentially
LOOKIE LOOKIE MOM! I MAKING A DWARF, IN TRAVELLER! CAN I PLAY ONE?

Quote:
As essentially TL-1 Barbarians
or one can grab all the careers from Netherell such as Apprentice, Aristocrat, Ecclesiastic, Entertainer, Expert, Guard, Scum, Soldier, Thief. Each has service branches as well and life event and mishap tables. And Magic Skills in the skill tables. And Magic Benefits in the retirement tables. Or the ones from Worlds Apart or Flynn's Guide.

Quote:
There's room for rote number-crunching, and there's room for "common-sense" choices.

It's all part of the game!
Yep. For me the common sense part is finding the analogues. The rote number crunching is merely the numerics involved.
Old February 7th, 2018, 05:48 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
  • Flynn's Guide to Magic in Traveller
  • Netherell: Planet of Magic (for Twilight Sector)
  • Strontium Dog
  • Worlds Apart
There's also Adventurer by Doc Grognard.

Might have to poke around a bit to find the files if they're still there.

Last edited by LiNeNoiSe; February 7th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:18 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
There's also Adventurer by Doc Grognard.

Might have to poke around a bit to find the files if they're still there.
No digging around Martin put the files right there in the Sidebar to the right.
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

Cool!

I'll check them out. Thanks!