Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old June 18th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Default Cepheus adventures

This may sound like a stupid question, but would you buy an adventure written for the Cepheus engine, or do you prefer other versions of Traveller for adventures?
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

ffilz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but would you buy an adventure written for the Cepheus engine, or do you prefer other versions of Traveller for adventures?
An adventure being written for Cepheus vs. Classic Traveller or Mongoose Traveller wouldn't impact my decision much. More key would be how easy the adventure is to use in my campaign. These three are all close enough that I can easily modify any stats that don't fit (but I might not even care if some NPC in an adventure has skill I don't use in my game, so the NPC say has Recon-2, I don't use it in my game, but it can still inform my play of the NPC).

Frank
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

I'm not greatly enamored of the system as being 'better' and so the underlying mechanics are not critical.

I'm more interested in the content creators being forced to non-3I/OTU material, producing unique adventures that would otherwise not be published under T5 or MgT universes.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

baktegon Citizen

i was on drivethruRPG.com a while ago and found a ton of interesting system-agnostic adventures. particularly i like the ideas that author Michael Brown is selling.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/.../Michael-Brown

i bought one of his bundles (Vol. 2 i believe) and it has some neat ideas. these are single page adventures that are probably good for one sessions, which is what i'm looking for in my campaign.

i'm also running a version of Night City from Cyberpunk 2020 but instead of California it's on a world in the Ley sector. Brown wrote a noir-flavored Las Vegas adventure that I think will fit in there too. System-agnostics for the win!

I do like written adventures though, i know traveller doesn't go that route as often as something like D&D, but i appreciate at least the background info so i can make up the details on top of it. these one page adventures are nice cause they give a little more info or a few characters than a traditional adventure seed, but not so much that there isn't fun to be had with additions.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

Hmmmm, this is actually A Thing- do Cepheus Engine adventures have to specifically avoid using any planets on Travellermap?

I have to think so, other then common name/locations like Earth/Terra.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by baktegon View Post
i was on drivethruRPG.com a while ago and found a ton of interesting system-agnostic adventures. particularly i like the ideas that author Michael Brown is selling.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/.../Michael-Brown

i bought one of his bundles (Vol. 2 i believe) and it has some neat ideas. these are single page adventures that are probably good for one sessions, which is what i'm looking for in my campaign.

i'm also running a version of Night City from Cyberpunk 2020 but instead of California it's on a world in the Ley sector. Brown wrote a noir-flavored Las Vegas adventure that I think will fit in there too. System-agnostics for the win!

I do like written adventures though, i know traveller doesn't go that route as often as something like D&D, but i appreciate at least the background info so i can make up the details on top of it. these one page adventures are nice cause they give a little more info or a few characters than a traditional adventure seed, but not so much that there isn't fun to be had with additions.
..................... this ......is, what, ...... I was going, to do, but some "expert" "top in his field" entertainment "lawyer" said I couldn't.

... Is there a Cepheus rep on the COTI I can talk to who's an expert in Traveller?
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

baktegon Citizen

Quote:
..................... this ......is, what, ...... I was going, to do, but some "expert" "top in his field" entertainment "lawyer" said I couldn't.

... Is there a Cepheus rep on the COTI I can talk to who's an expert in Traveller?
being system-agnostic, i'm not sure why you couldn't write some and sell them. They're "compatible" with any science fiction game I'd think. they're basically like single Star Trek episode summaries.

"The players are contracted to move X to Y, hijinx ensue."

I like Michael Brown's ones because there's a lot of variety, I'm going to take one or two of each and set them on the planets in my campaign, then when the players get there, i can use them. plus they have nice little background text i can read for flavor.

blue ghost! get out there and write your own buddy! i'll happily test them on my players too if you'd like feedback.
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

exedore6 Citizen

A LOT of folks don't get how the OGL interacts with copyright. (I may be one of them, also, I'm not a lawyer)

Based on my own understanding of it, game rules can't be copyrighted. Only the 'specific presentation' can. Additionally, things could be trademarked (Almost anything 3I specific).

In a lot of ways, the OGL made making 3rd party products less scary ("Can I say Hit Points? How about Cleric?") by drawing a clear line from game rules and product identity (what we reserve the right to fight over), and allowed you to copy and paste OGL content word for word. It didn't actually grant you anything you couldn't already do (describe a game in your own words)

Based on the d20 OSR movement, there's a lot that was originally WotC product identity that isn't so any longer (rolling 4d6 drop low for attributes, and xp for levels are the first two that come to mind). They didn't fight over these, I suppose they still could, but since Pathfinder is a thing that WotC would have probably at some time liked to make go away, I'd suggest that WotC/Hasbro didn't see it worthwhile to die on that hill.
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Nightwind1 Citizen

Quote:

The lawyer probably doesn't know anything about tabletop gaming or the OGL.
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+

CE was built with pieces drawn from an OGL of MgT1 and D20 (as I understand it). Thus, all the pieces of the rules are usable by you for published material.

You cannot mention the word "Traveller." (Instead it is a CE game... and you note this in the product according to the license elements found in CE.)

You cannot mention any elements of the Official Traveller Universe IP. (Thus, no Third Imperium. No names of worlds from the OTU. And so on.)

As long you a) stick to the rules of CE; b) invent your own material and use nothing from the OTU; and c) don't mention Traveller you should (as far as I understand the matter) be good to go.

For what it is worth: The above is exactly why CE was built in the first place.