Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 21st, 2014, 02:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
GM Joe Citizen
Default "Rogues in Space" Manuscripts

The Far Traveller #3 topic made me think about the two bound manuscripts I have for Rogues in Space. Looking around the web, it seems they're not unheard of. But I have two copies: one is with a black plastic comb-type binding and is unsigned. The other has a red spiral binding, has a signature "J. Andrew Keith", and below the "Submitted: February 1984" it has "(c) 1998 by Paul Sanders, all rights reserved." At the bottom of that copy is "Approved for Use With Traveller," whereas the black comb one lacks that.

Anyone know the story behind these two different versions?
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
The Far Traveller #3 topic made me think about the two bound manuscripts I have for Rogues in Space. Looking around the web, it seems they're not unheard of. But I have two copies: one is with a black plastic comb-type binding and is unsigned. The other has a red spiral binding, has a signature "J. Andrew Keith", and below the "Submitted: February 1984" it has "(c) 1998 by Paul Sanders, all rights reserved." At the bottom of that copy is "Approved for Use With Traveller," whereas the black comb one lacks that.

Anyone know the story behind these two different versions?
The Paul Sanders one is probably from a bundled set that apparently got broken up. The other one may be Andrew's own ashcan release. Is the layout otherwise the same?

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:11 PM

GM Joe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The Paul Sanders one is probably from a bundled set that apparently got broken up. The other one may be Andrew's own ashcan release. Is the layout otherwise the same?
No, the Paul Sanders one starts with a blank page (that is, the back of the cover page is blank). The other one has page 1 printed on it.

It may have been Paul that sent these to me. I remember someone on TML sent them to me back in the 90s, when I was doing the freelance work for Imperium Games. I'm ashamed that I don't remember who gifted me with them.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Paul did both of these. The red-spiral version came out first and included a separate folio of finished versions of the deckplans ("Letter of Marque" on the top, a vargr in the center, and "Ship's Compendium" on the bottom), sort of as a proof-of-concept or a desire to publish the most recent manuscript revision. The later version came in the Cargonaut folder with the Keiths' unpublished stuff, including the Rogues in Space stuff. The two publications came out less than a year apart, if I recall.

I still have the red spiral, but I sold the "Lost Supplements" folder-of-goodies a couple years ago, due to it not being used by me at all. It has collector's value, however.

....Although, the Lost Supplement versions I had were saddle-stapled, rather than combed...
Tools Link
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM

GM Joe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Paul did both of these. The red-spiral version came out first and included a separate folio of finished versions of the deckplans ("Letter of Marque" on the top, a vargr in the center, and "Ship's Compendium" on the bottom), sort of as a proof-of-concept or a desire to publish the most recent manuscript revision. The later version came in the Cargonaut folder with the Keiths' unpublished stuff, including the Rogues in Space stuff. The two publications came out less than a year apart, if I recall.

I still have the red spiral, but I sold the "Lost Supplements" folder-of-goodies a couple years ago, due to it not being used by me at all. It has collector's value, however.

....Although, the Lost Supplement versions I had were saddle-stapled, rather than combed...
Ah, OK. Thank you!

One of the two does have the folio in it, by the way. I'm at work and don't recall which it was in, but I did notice it there when I was looking at it last night. So it seems you've hit it on the head.

I won't be selling these, of course. I'm just trying to remember how I got them. It amazes me how little I remember from that period, just a little over 15 years ago. All the time I spent on the TML (and XBoat ML before that)...

Thanks again!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

Well, I hadn't heard (or remembered hearing) of "Rogues in Space" before now. Sounds right up my alley! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they become available again someday.

Any feedback on the quality? Are they any good, must-have, or just so-so?
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Well, I hadn't heard (or remembered hearing) of "Rogues in Space" before now. Sounds right up my alley! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they become available again someday.

They are good. They're done by the Keith brothers, to boot.
Tools Link
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

They're typical Keith Brothers work. Higher end of CT 3rd party.

It should be noted that one of Bill Keith's editors commented on a blog that he had little to do on Bill's novel work.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.