Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:45 AM
DangerousThing DangerousThing is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 721
Gallery : 0
DangerousThing Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I deal with it in two ways in MTU.
I deal with it a bit differently IMTU. I have an advantage because I never had the OTU as a background.

I have the Jump Drive as stated as the fastest human-built FTL drive. One problem is that the J-Drive cannot use fission power sources (I assume because the jump needs a massive amount of power in a short time period and a fission reactor can't support that).

So I have Hyperdrive (H-Drive) and the Hypersail Drive (S-Drive). These both use less power than the J-Drive and can be powered by fission drives happily (or for that matter a clockwork power source - at one time I was working on the numbers for such a power source). I've also used batteries and energy cells, but they aren't efficient enough at the TLs I'm running at for my current campaign.

I've also never believed in normal star ships that can skim gas giants efficiently.

I'm doing this because the current campaign is set inside an area where J-1 routes for small, and for the most part a trader needs at least J3.

Also I figure (purely my speculation) that the jump drive needs a lot of computation, and there are no microelectronics in my campaign (something happened to make them non-functional). So it's possible to use a J-drive from a system that has computing to a system that has computing (it is possible to make *large* computers that can do jump calculations).

But mainly it's the fuel problem. Since the Shattering caused a new Long Night, the TLs have gotten low enough there either are either are no star ports or the ports don't have fuel purifiers. So there are two reasons why a jump ship might have a one-way trip.

And keeping the H- and S-Drives slower than the J-Drive keeps a reason for having the J-Drive around.
__________________
A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
CosmicGamer's Avatar
CosmicGamer CosmicGamer is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Dover, DE, USA
Posts: 2,209
Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
The biggest headache the one-way rules cause is for exploration and space combat.
I'm not aware of any "one -way" rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
I could never understand why Traveller ship design didn't allow for ships to travel from point A to point B and back again without a fuel scoop?
In the version of Traveller I use, no such issue exists.

I would think in any Traveller version a jump 2 ship can easily be adapted to be a round trip jump 1 ship, no?

What's the jump capability of these supposedly one way combat ships? Anything over Jump 1 and they should be capable of a round trip mission without refueling.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, round trip exploration and space combat is very possible. Do some versions of Traveller say that a Jump drive can't make multiple shorter jumps? If so, then just take a current ship design and rip out the larger jump drive and put in a smaller one.

It seams obvious to me that if logistics require a round trip your maximum distance would be aprox half that of your maximum one way distance without refueling.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by CosmicGamer; March 25th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
rancke's Avatar
rancke rancke is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 12,238
Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
I could never understand why Traveller ship design didn't allow for ships to travel from point A to point B and back again without a fuel scoop?
Because carrying any more fuel than you absolutely have to reduces your payload.

If you're not interested in hauling cargo, you can get around 80% of a ship to carry fuel. That's enough to get 3 parsecs away, dump a bit of fuel to build up a cache, and get back again. It may be more efficient to jump out two parsecs and dump a lot more fuel, or only one parsec and dump even more fuel; I have'nt sat down and worked out the various options. But getting out and back again is not a problem, at least not once the jump-to-deep-space technique has been invented. It's just a matter of how much time you put into it.


Hans

Last edited by rancke; March 25th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Changed 70% to 80%
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
BlackBat242 BlackBat242 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: limbo
Posts: 2,989
Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I deal with it a bit differently IMTU. I have an advantage because I never had the OTU as a background.

I have the Jump Drive as stated as the fastest human-built FTL drive. One problem is that the J-Drive cannot use fission power sources (I assume because the jump needs a massive amount of power in a short time period and a fission reactor can't support that).

So I have Hyperdrive (H-Drive) and the Hypersail Drive (S-Drive). These both use less power than the J-Drive and can be powered by fission drives happily (or for that matter a clockwork power source - at one time I was working on the numbers for such a power source). I've also used batteries and energy cells, but they aren't efficient enough at the TLs I'm running at for my current campaign.

I've also never believed in normal star ships that can skim gas giants efficiently.
.....

And keeping the H- and S-Drives slower than the J-Drive keeps a reason for having the J-Drive around.
I have done the same. I have the "normal" first FTL drive a civilization develops be a classic "hyperdrive", based mainly off that in Andre Norton's books.


First, these drives are larger than a comparable J-drive... twice the tonnage at TL9, 1.66x at TL 10, and 1.5x at TL 11.


Second, it uses a lot less fuel than a J-drive, you only use some 5 tons of fuel per parsec at all TLs. You can make a single trip covering however many parsecs you have fuel for... and you can also, while in H-drive, reverse course to your start-point, as long as you have enough remaining fuel.

When you run out of fuel, the safeties on the drive safely drop you back into normal-space wherever you are... even if that is in empty space halfway between stellar systems! This normally only happens with a malfunction, as the course-generation program prevents you from initiating a trip that requires more fuel than you have on-board... unless you over-ride it, of course.


Third, it takes a LOT longer to get anywhere. Specifically, early (TL9) H-drives take 15 days per parsec, TL10 12.5 days, and TL11 10 days. These are the only speeds possible.



Compare a H-drive ship with fuel for 2 parsecs to a J-1 ship which makes a "refuel-only stop" at the halfway point. The economics are better with the J-1 ship, as you take basically the same time to cover 2 parsecs, and need the same volume of fuel, but the J-drive is smaller, leaving more room for cargo.
It is better with a J2 drive. Yes you need more ship's tonnage for fuel, but you can make 2 parsecs per 10 days, where even a TL11 H-drive would take 20 days to cover the same distance.

So you can see that, as soon as you can make J-drives, that they become, in large part, more popular than "slow-ships" for all but low-priority bulk freight... like grain, ore, etc. Anything with passengers or live cargo uses J-drive, due to the tonnage needed for life-support systems.
__________________
"If there are Gods, they do not help, and Justice belongs to the strong; but know that all things done before the naked stars are remembered." Klingon proverb

Last edited by BlackBat242; March 25th, 2013 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM
whartung whartung is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,735
Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
All I’m trying to point out here is early star travel is hinder by the rule set provide by the game. Traveller assumes at the point a races is ready to start expansion key elements are in place for round trips to take place. When in fact, most of the time those elements are missing in real world scenarios. The moon landing would have been delayed by years had we taken the outlook present to us by Traveller. The discovery that the moon had water would spur exploration. Columbus’s voyage would have been seen as a failure without the means of returning to Spain. The belief that the world was flat would have continued for centuries without the sail.
No it doesn't. This is like commenting on how all of the modern appliances assume you have electricity in your house. Of course they do! The infrastructure is there to support them.

For those where the infrastructure doesn't exist, you can bring your own generation systems to power such devices. Or you can punt entirely (gas powered refrigeration anyone?).

Just because the modern ships are not designed for a round trip doesn't mean you can't make ships that ARE so capable. They just add another requirement to the design and it's costs, capabilities, and tradeoffs that modern ships don't need.

And, of course, in the OTU there are no "early star" travelers, they're all quite mature.

With some clever extrapolation of the mechanics you could make a large ship that can go 8-10 parsecs without refueling. Water ice carries about 30% more hydrogen than LHyd does per liter, so, build a ship with a 66% sized ice "tank", a 10% sized LHyd tank, a big-o-heater and a fuel purification plant, and you get get 9 parsecs of fuel at J-1, and still have ~24% of ship space for cabins and power and whatever. Kick off the large ice tank and you can probably coax another 2 out of the ship.

This is possible. In the OTU, it's not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:34 PM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 29,515
Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Because carrying any more fuel than you absolutely have to reduces your payload.

If you're not interested in hauling cargo, you can get around 70% of a ship to carry fuel. That's enough to get 3 parsecs away, dump a bit of fuel to build up a cache, and get back again. It may be more efficient to jump out two parsecs and dump a lot more fuel, or only one parsec and dump even more fuel; I have'nt sat down and worked out the various options. But getting out and back again is not a problem, at least not once the jump-to-deep-space technique has been invented. It's just a matter of how much time you put into it.


Hans
a 1000 TD can exceed 75% under bk 5

020 bridge
003 model 3
040 j3
010 m1
060 pp3 at tl 12
030 pp fuel, 4 wk
016 4 double occupancy staterooms PNMEEEE

179 Td... enough for 80%... and more staterooms.

Under bk2 1e,
020 bridge
003 model 3
080 jd q =3
009 MD E=1
016 PP E=1
010 PP Fuel
020 Crew PNMEEE
158 total

Under bk2 2e,
020 bridge
003 model 3
080 jd q =3
009 MD E=1
046 PP Q=3
030 PP Fuel
028 Crew PNMEEEE
216 total

Under MgT.
020 bridge
000 model 3
080 jd q =3
009 MD E=1
046 PP Q=3
045 PP Fuel 3 weeks
028 Crew PNMEEEE
228 total, but the navigator, medic, and half the engineering guys can be omitted... for 212 Td total.


note that bk2 basic crewing applies until 1001 Td in any of the three.
__________________
~ Aramis
aramis.hostman.us /trav
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:04 PM
HiverLord's Avatar
HiverLord HiverLord is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 288
Gallery : 0
Visit HiverLord's Blog
HiverLord Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
One is reduce the fuel for Jump by half, and then I have enough for round trips using the standard tankage.
I tried designing this into a new campaign (MgT rules), and I broke the ship rules. (Not literally, of course! ) It became TOO easy to design ships, even small ones, capable of fulfilling most mission requirements (or those most players would be called to perform). (This setting will be a small ship universe, btw.)

So instead I developed the following formula for jump fuel use:

Ships require a minimum 10% volume of fuel for jump-1. Each level of jump above this adds the square of that jump level in volume. So:
Jump-1 = 10%
Jump-2 = 14%
Jump-3 = 20%
Jump-4 = 28%
Jump-5 = 38%
Jump-6 = 50%

Enough of a space savings to make a big difference at the mid-range jumps, and absolutely no difference at jump-1, of course. I've found so far that it seems to work out ok, gets me where I want the campaign to be.
We'll see if it works long term.
__________________
Sir Dwayne
Knight of Deneb
Reft 3230 Bonn A8C578C-B
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM
DangerousThing DangerousThing is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 721
Gallery : 0
DangerousThing Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiverLord View Post
I tried designing this into a new campaign (MgT rules), and I broke the ship rules. (Not literally, of course! ) It became TOO easy to design ships, even small ones, capable of fulfilling most mission requirements (or those most players would be called to perform). (This setting will be a small ship universe, btw.)

So instead I developed the following formula for jump fuel use:

Ships require a minimum 10% volume of fuel for jump-1. Each level of jump above this adds the square of that jump level in volume. So:
Jump-1 = 10%
Jump-2 = 14%
Jump-3 = 20%
Jump-4 = 28%
Jump-5 = 38%
Jump-6 = 50%

Enough of a space savings to make a big difference at the mid-range jumps, and absolutely no difference at jump-1, of course. I've found so far that it seems to work out ok, gets me where I want the campaign to be.
We'll see if it works long term.
I think I like the concept, but I don't get the numbers.

J-2 = 10% + (2 * 2)%

I get that one. Would you mind explaining how you get your numbers above 2?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
CosmicGamer's Avatar
CosmicGamer CosmicGamer is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Dover, DE, USA
Posts: 2,209
Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I think I like the concept, but I don't get the numbers.

J-2 = 10% + (2 * 2)%

I get that one. Would you mind explaining how you get your numbers above 2?

Thanks in advance.
It's not the square. My math makes it:
Jump 2 = Jump 1 (10) + 2+2 = 14.
Jump 3 = Jump 2 (14) + 3+3 = 20.
Jump 4 = Jump 3 (20) + 4+4 = 28.
Jump 5 = Jump 4 (28) + 5+5 = 38
...

Square would be
Jump 2 = Jump 1 (10) + 2*2 (4) = 14
Jump 3 = Jump 2 (14) + 3*3 (9) = 23
Jump 4 = Jump 3 (20) + 4*4 (16) = 36
Jump 5 = Jump 4 (36) + 5*5 (25) = 61
...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Fritz_Brown's Avatar
Fritz_Brown Fritz_Brown is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,032
Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
The belief that the world was flat would have continued for centuries without the sail.
First thing I have to correct is this notion. That is patently untrue. Anyone who can see a horizon (yes, at sea is clearer, we get that) can work out that the world is round. It didn't take sailors to know this, much less by sailing "around the world."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
Traveller assumes at the point a races is ready to start expansion key elements are in place for round trips to take place. When in fact, most of the time those elements are missing in real world scenarios.
How is this true? What key elements are missing? Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the known universe. The vast majority of star systems in Traveller have gas giants or planets with *some* sort of surface water. And, of course, there are always ice asteroids if you're desperate. Are you saying that people jump to a star before they have done the distant probing of said star system? Who said the original explorers didn't double up their fuel? It is very easy to do, and those original explorers didn't have to carry cargo with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
In exploration scenarios Traveller makes races wait until fuel scoops technology is available before a race can start expansion.
Not even remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
In reality, mankind would make ships that carried extra fuel for the return trip
Ummmm, they do. There are some broken designs in Traveller, sure, but that doesn't necessarily make the whole paradigm broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
Tankers would be more important than battleships because without them there would be no way your force could return to friendly territory without them.
In RL, tankers are incredibly important - whether using ships or aircraft as your point of departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel Stardin View Post
Even under a trade scenario with hostile neighbors, all the trade federation has to do is cut off your ability to refuel and that would end your crews’ chance of returning to friendly space.
Any idea how hard it is to cut off your ability to refuel? Go find a bunch of the threads around here about tactics and strategy of defending a star system from bad guys, and how you can't guard everything very easily. Again, hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGamer View Post
Am I missing something?
Nope, you have it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I think I like the concept, but I don't get the numbers.
He didn't square, he doubled.
__________________
1836! Come and take it!
IMTU tc++ ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au pi+ he+ t5(LBB0020)+ and tp++ (that's Proto-Traveller!)
My CotI blog!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PE Round? Icosahedron Ship's Locker 10 May 15th, 2007 03:11 PM
Is an FGMP round radioactive? whartung The Lone Star 19 May 7th, 2005 09:22 PM
A round for the lounge on me! far-trader The Lone Star 23 May 7th, 2003 04:18 PM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.