Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Default Barbarians of Lemuria = Adventurer or Wanderer or Mariner?

I put this in the CT section, rather than Random Static, because there's been so much talk lately about Adventurer and Wanderer.

I want to bring to your attention an indie rpg called Barbarians of Lemuria. I haven't seen the game, myself, but I've heard it's very Traveller-esque.

First off, it uses a 2d6 system, where a 9+ hits. Sound familiar? Also, characters in this game use a Career system. That sound familiar, too? The entire books is only a hundred or so pages of rules--rules lite. Sound familiar at all?

Yes! It's the Classic Traveller format!

The magic system is very dark and much like what is in the Conan RPG. I hear the entire feel of the game is High Adventure, Low Magic, as a Conan is.

The book is supposed to be $12 bucks or so over at DriveThru. I'll let you look that up (I don't want to break board rules). But, you can find a review of the game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrJxn4zZf8

You players working on Adventurer or attempting to play Mariner or Wanderer may want to take a look at this puppy. You can steal from it for Adventuer/Wanderer/Mariner. Or, you may want to give up the enormous work of converting CT and just go with this one.

I dunno. Again, I haven't seen the game. But the reviews are good!

Here's a couple of freebies for the game:

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Barbarians...cter_Sheet.pdf

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Wealth_and_Resources.pdf

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Bolv2.pdf

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Barbarians...cter_Sheet.pdf

Last edited by Supplement Four; May 3rd, 2010 at 03:26 AM..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

BoL would probably be my first choice for running a rules-lite S&S game....it's really really well done.

Strangely, I do prefer the earlier, free version, because...well, because the setting (Lin Carter Lemuria) and artwork has a very OD&D cheesy feel including panels from various Conan Comics.
But, what is okay in a fan freebie is another matter in a commercial product, so Simon has quite rightly removed the pastiche elements. Its a much more finished product now, and the new setting is quite good and faithful to its genre - GET IT NOW , COMMANDS Ca - PtinjacK, Mighty sorceror of...great....um....sorcerous....place.

Still, it's not really travelleresque, except in outline. The skills (and resolution) are even more minimalist, and the careers are similarly very broad - and chosen by the player. Adventurer at least is still trying to be a "what if" excercise, rather than just writing a S&S ruleset.

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Just tryin' to help~
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Signal Citizen

I wrote the magic system for BoL so glad you liked it. The only thing I don't love about the latest version is the way characters improve (through spending all their treasure getting wasted) and the fact that there's no system for buying gear but those are minor points.

I would have thought a better starting point for fantasy traveller would have been Mercator?
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
I wrote the magic system for BoL so glad you liked it.
I did; thanks for that ! BoL=greatness.

I can't remember -does the V2 unpastiched version include the optional rules for a wealth roll to get stuff ? I really liked that way of handling equipping and accounting.

Quote:
I would have thought a better starting point for fantasy traveller would have been Mercator?
Well, just plain fantasy traveller wasn't really my goal. That would be too easy and straightforward; and anyone who knows me here will know that that just isn't my style -why simplify when one can baroquely obfuscate ?

More seriously, Check out this thread if you're interested in the reasoning behind my project.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=21812

In fact, Mercator is great, and I'd love to try and add some fantasy elements consistent with a historical classical setting (particulalry magic) but, alas, it isn't mine; perhaps Mithras and I should chat about it someday.

Crawdads and Dragons

Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Just tryin' to help~
And you did. No worries. I'm trying to figure out a better magic system that still is Vancian, so any input is appreciated.

Any comments on the advancement rules ?

Crawdads and Dragons