Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old December 10th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
shocker Citizen
Question

What happend the first time u played trav? [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old December 10th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Vargas Citizen
I had enough time to roll up a belter and get a few details on the pirate crew we were going to be playing. (We were all D&D vets circa 1980 at the time). Given I rolled a seeker as a mustering out benefit, worth tens of millions of credits, I couldn't really figure out why I would be making a living as a pirate. . .
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

ArchTangent Citizen
Dunno. Our first game ever is tomorrow night.

I'm running it and feeling fairly unprepared for the whole thing. I'll let you know. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

DrSkull Citizen
Rolled up a Navy guy using High Guard, stayed in too long, but came out as a Commodore.

Went through the "Kininir" adventure #1. I remember being very frustrated and angry at that evil computer. I did make it to the control room somehow and blew up the computer with a hand grenade.

I had much more fun when I started to GM myself soon afterwards.
Old December 13th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

thomryng Citizen
I can't remember the first time I played Traveller - it was back in 1980 and my memory just ain't what it used to be

But the first time my wife played Traveller, I was running a scenario for her and a friend. They took a working passage to fill out the crew of an A2, killed the captain/owner, and stowed the body in the main airlock while they were in jumpspace.

In fact, they totally forgot about it.

A week later, they arrive at their destination (having very carefully forged transfer of ownership papers). They head for the airlock to meet the traditional Imperial customs official - and discover the (former) captain's now quite ripe body in the airlock.

Much merriment ensues...

thom
Member #000006 of the Bring back the LBBs T5 edition.<br />--------------------<br />\"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.\" (William Pitt, 1783)
Old December 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM

hans_koch Citizen
My first game was back in 1981 or 82. I was 11 or 12, and the older brother of a friend was acting as a sitter for myself and my younger brother. He brought the game over to entertain us. I knew nothing about Traveller and not much about roleplaying in general. The adventure was Annic Nova, and I still remember how cool it seemed as our characters wandered through the old abandonned ship. I still remember his descriptions of the ships interior, and the way I visulaized it in my mind...

Now, 20+ years later I'm in the process of starting a whole new classic traveller campaign, using Annic Nova as the basis. This time I'm throwing in a whole lot more plot (sinister megacorporations, alien technologies, hard-nosed Marines, betrayals, etc.), but hopefully my players will feel the same sense of thrill as that first airlock opens...
Old December 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

morgan Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by hans_koch:
My first game was back in 1981 or 82. I was 11 or 12, and the older brother of a friend was acting as a sitter for myself and my younger brother. He brought the game over to entertain us. I knew nothing about Traveller and not much about roleplaying in general. The adventure was Annic Nova, and I still remember how cool it seemed as our characters wandered through the old abandonned ship. I still remember his descriptions of the ships interior, and the way I visulaized it in my mind...

Now, 20+ years later I'm in the process of starting a whole new classic traveller campaign, using Annic Nova as the basis. This time I'm throwing in a whole lot more plot (sinister megacorporations, alien technologies, hard-nosed Marines, betrayals, etc.), but hopefully my players will feel the same sense of thrill as that first airlock opens...
Hi, Hans ---- Morgan (a newbie) here... I also played The "Annic Nova" back in 82. Now I'm using the basic ship's info for another ship, that my Team, (I'm Refeereeing now) [img]smile.gif[/img] is going to find.. They are Smuggling Robot Brains for a planetary rebellion. Only because they are trying to repay a debt. [img]smile.gif[/img]

3 out of the 4 of us (including my Wife) were there for D&D in 79 & Traveller in the 80's. The 4th member is my step-daughter. She's an avid RPG'r just like the rest of us. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Opening up all the old 5 x 7 books (yes I have every one of them) brought back some wild memories. [img]smile.gif[/img] I even found an ad book with a business card on it, from the now defunct store that my friend's ran.. really neat stuff!!!!

~~ Morgan
Old December 13th, 2002, 10:24 PM

woodmage Citizen
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

It was early in my senior year of high school, so it would have been 1982. The previous year, I'd been in a D&D/AD&D mix game as my first exposure to RPGs... and probably would've been my last if not for Traveller.

A couple guys at my new school were talking about this SF game. I decided to give it a try. Rolled up my character (Book 1) and had a 1-term Army veteran. One Ref and two PCs... we were run through some Contact! scenarios from the Journal, if I recall correctly.

Twenty years later, I'm still playing RPGs... in a large part thanks to Traveller.
Old December 14th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
N.I.C.E. Labs Citizen
Send a message via AIM to N.I.C.E. Labs Send a message via Yahoo to N.I.C.E. Labs
Like most people, it was 20 years ago so I can't remember the exact adventure. I do remember my friend Devin looking at the ad for Traveller in the back of a Dragon magazine (it was just the cover of the box...nothing more (Maday...this is Free Trader Beowulf...)) and he sent away for it mail order. I was apprehensive as the only game we had played so far was D&D, but man am I glad we got it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sherman, set the Wayback Machine for the present. Tuesday my friend Devin was running Traveller. We had our own agenda (trying to escape offworld before a crime boss or similar bad guy figures we DIDN'T do the job for him)...meanwhile we're on the world where Twilight's Peak takes place (location omitted so as not to ruin it for those who haven't played through it YET). The thing is, Devin is still having Twilight's Peak happen...we're just not directly involved. All sorts of mayhem is going on around us and our character have no clue why [img]smile.gif[/img] It was so cool to see one of the best modules in Traveller history played out with us as outside observers of sorts. Better still, Devin ran me through it years ago, but my other two friends in the group haven't been through it...so they were sort of lost. I just smiled quietly to myself most of the time [img]tongue.gif[/img] Great fun!!
Old December 14th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

DaddyDragon Citizen
It was the end of summer, 1978. A friend of mine came over with his new Traveller LBB's. Since I was not allowed to have people in the house while my parents were at work, we sat in the backyard, rolled up a couple of characters and set to work.

I played a low term scout, without a ship, and we spent the whole day plotting and planning to boost a free trader so that we could start a life of piracy and mayhem.

Heady days they were, indeed. Adventure and excitement and all the rest.

I am now teaching my son about Traveller. He just turned 8. He insisted on playing this new version of Traveller (even before it was available...at times while we waited, it was difficult to tell who was more anxious for it to come out, me or him). And as if to bode well for the future of his Traveller experience, he's infatuated with all things vargr (just like dear old dad). I gues I will have to overlook the insistence on playing a marine.

Regards,
Larry

"Twice."

tc+ tm++(**) tn+ !t4 t5 !tg t20+ ru ge+ 3i+ c++ jt+ au+ ls pi+ ta+ he+ kk- hi+ as+ va++ dr+ ith+ vr ne- so+ zh+ vi- da+

Count of Binary TROJ 3140 Auitawry A56689A-F
Count of the Third Imperium REAV 3220 Khakhan A988AA8-E
Sir Aeksarrgh EMPT 0936 Akiar D58A562-9
Knight of the Iridium Throne CORE 1901 Zaniin B6945AB-B
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Efate
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Frenzie
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Mongo
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Pixie
TAS Membership: EMPT 0936 Akiar D58A562-9

Challenge Coins:
#150 1SG (First Sergeant S5), Delta Troop (Grav Tank), Sixth Battalion (Jump Troops), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#210 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), First Platoon, Alpha Company (Lift Infantry), Second Battalion (Lift Infantry), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#220 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), Third Platoon, Alpha Company (Lift Infantry), Second Battalion (Lift Infantry), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#289 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), First Platoon, Delta Troop (Grav Tank), Sixth Battalion (Jump Troops), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

"Traveller and Errata are like peanut butter & chocolate." - Me