Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
nats Citizen
Default T5 CT MGT? Which? Why?

Why would I buy T5 over CT and MGT?

I am a bit of a quandry. I want to start playing Traveller regularly with my kids.

I love CT but mainly for nostalgia reasons I think. The starship combat is rather difficult to do in a group plus the combat is a bit lethal as we all know and the chargen is a bit basic plus the task resolution is rather non existant.

The Mongoose systtem plays well if you can be bothered to read, decipher and remember loads of rules but the basic production level always puts me off it and the need to constantly move between sections to decipher gameplay is a pain. But the task sytem is good and the chargen system is great.

And then there is T5 which I know nothing about at all.

I have been thinking of getting a Starter Traveller set from Ebay as I feel its the best version of CT, but I also have lots of Mongoose books that I dont know whether to keep or get rid of, and then I dont know whether to move onto T5 later.

So what would you do/are you doing? Who here is moving onto T5? Why is this new version going to be good? Which version do you like for the actual gameplay a opposed to design processes?
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

Personally, I am a long time fan of CT, running a mong game and slowly incorporating elements from T5. Mong does chargen and small ship combat the best, CT does personal combat the best plus Don has slipped the old CT reactions chart back into mong with his Zhodani book. T5 has many cool elements, it's personals - which is sort of like social combat is great, and list of gear plus list of cargoes for ships are great as well; it also has a ton of makers, from guns to aliens that fit right into mong (AV needs to be reduced on armor though).
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

For any system, players don't really need to read and remember the rules. They should be encouraged to just role play and I think that for someone new and especially kids, MGT chargen would be a strong factor that gets it chosen over CT. The simple task system in MGT might be a factor for the GM. I'm not familiar with T5. No matter what system, get or make a GM screen or some cheat sheets for the most common stuff.

T5 had too many undelivered promises of it being released. If I had decided to wait on it instead of buying Mongoose I'd have had over 4 years of waiting. Personally I'm Jaded and don't believe anything said about it anymore. I'll wait till an actual release and people start talking about the final product instead of some beta or play test version. Another issue might be it's huge and expensive. I find it interesting that this website still lists the forum as "Discussion of the fabled Fifth edition of Traveller"

CT has a CD with a lot on it and it's available for a low price. Good bang for your buck.
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

nats Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGamer View Post

T5 had too many undelivered promises of it being released. If I had decided to wait on it instead of buying Mongoose I'd have had over 4 years of waiting. Personally I'm Jaded and don't believe anything said about it anymore. I'll wait till an actual release and people start talking about the final product instead of some beta or play test version.
T5 print run has been checked by Marc earlier this month and books are due to be printed by end of January.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-edition/posts
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:04 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Having played both Classic and Mongoose Traveller a fair bit, both have a similar 'feel' to the game and would serve you well.

Personally, I prefer Classic Traveller, but I also prefer LBB 1-3 over a lot of what came later, and most people don't want a game as simple as I like ... I just want the rules to form a loose framework without getting in the way of playing.

What really impressed me about Mongoose Traveller was all the options it presents for using skills in actual game play. The example that sticks in my mind was when a group all split up to use Steward, Administration, Streetwise, Computer and Carousing skills to locate cargo. Eack skill pointed to a different path to both a cargo and the seed for an adventure in actually getting that cargo.

As a ref, if you are comfortable with the Mongoose Rules and like the level of detail, then you should use them. If you prefer something simpler, the go back to The Traveller Book and Classic Traveller.

Just manage the rules as a ref and let the players focus on what they would do in that situation. Either system leads to fun.

[I am not slighting T5, I just have no experience with it ... I am waiting for the book to come out as a final (not Draft) version on PDF.]
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Traveller 5 is 650+ pages. Mongoose Traveller is a breathe of fresh air for me with its nice background generator during chargen, which no other version of Traveller has.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
Traveller 5 is 650+ pages.
That always sounded huge to me, until I compared it to the 400 pages for 760 Patrons (Mongoose Traveller). Now it just sounds large.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

DangerousThing Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
Traveller 5 is 650+ pages. Mongoose Traveller is a breathe of fresh air for me with its nice background generator during chargen, which no other version of Traveller has.
I will be using the background events from MgT with T5.

I also fave a bunch of supplements from various Traveller sets that I'll be using.

I haven't found any problem mixing and matching, but I do like T5's task resolution the best.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:53 PM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I do like T5's task resolution the best.
You like the roll-under with nD6 (where n goes up as difficulty goes up) mechanic? I prefer Mongoose's standard roll 8+ with 2D6 to succeed for everything. Less fiddling with DM calculations and dice adding, and focusing more on role-play.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
T5 print run has been checked by Marc earlier this month and books are due to be printed by end of January.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-edition/posts
That's a long ways from the June of 2007 release.

I'll go for the over if your taking bets.