Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default Who PLAYED IT but doesn't like it. (Mongoose Traveller)

I'm curious. Who has PLAYED Mongoose Traveller, not people who have only read about it in forums, play tested it but never played the released version, not people who saw a friends copy of the book, or got a copy someone was going to throw away and gave it a cursory glance, but who has PLAYED Mongoose Traveller with a group of people in person or on-line and what are the things you don't like?

Has the experience caused you to
A) stop playing Traveller all together
B) go back to a previous version of Traveller you own
C) go out and buy a previous version of Traveller
D) keep playing - possibly making house rules and not use things you don't like

Last edited by CosmicGamer; May 14th, 2009 at 04:02 PM..
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Gallery : 0
mbrinkhues Citizen

Played it twice, GMed it once. Considered separating the Coal (CharGen) from the Spoils for a short time after I GMed.

Recently threw the books in the blue bin.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Played released rules once. Al the best stuff from the playtest was removed except for CGen.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

Eggtooth Citizen
Default We like it

The editing is horrible, mind you, but we enjoy the updates. Maybe we've played so long that we don't look up some things and have missed glaring mistakes, but we consider it to be a great way to play "Classic" without having computers bigger than we are.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ThunderChilde Citizen
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChilde Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderChilde

Been running a campaign since Late November early December, 3 players, every other week.

I like it, have house ruled a few things, looted ideas from here, JTAS and Freelance Traveler, oh and Darkstars take on The Beyond as a resource.

There I was surrounded by friends, alone with my dice, when suddenly.....

If you're going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Unapologetic supporter of MGT, warts and all.

A computer once beat me at Chess, but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 21
lucasdigital Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
Played it twice, GMed it once. Considered separating the Coal (CharGen) from the Spoils for a short time after I GMed.

Eh? You threw the books into a recycling bin? Why not sell them on Ebay, or pass even pass them on to a charity shop?
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasdigital View Post
Eh? You threw the books into a recycling bin? Why not sell them on Ebay, or pass even pass them on to a charity shop?
No charity shops around here and I don't do eBay.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

fiat_knox Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
And? It's your money. Why did you want to buy them in the first place? Did the shopkeeper hold a gun to your head and force you to buy the books before you'd had a chance to read them first? Did you conduct an appraisal of the core rulebook before you bought it? Was the decision to buy the book your own, or did you buy the book as part of some sort of a market review for an article for some roleplaying site somewhere, necessitating its purchase to satisfy an editor?

Never mind. These are all rhetorical questions. You've made your choice and lodged your protest. Congratulations.

If everyone else decides to keep their books, that is their choice, too, and this being a democracy, I guess that means that everybody here has to accept what everybody else does. Even if they make choices to do things you don't want them to do. Even if the majority fail to even take notice of what you did, and carry on enjoying their copies of MGT regardless.

Even if forumites here express viewpoints diametrically opposed to your own. They, like you, are only asserting their right to say what they want to say as forum members. It's not your concern if what they say is more popular than what you have to say. That is the way democracy works.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtooth View Post
The editing is horrible, mind you, but we enjoy the updates. Maybe we've played so long that we don't look up some things and have missed glaring mistakes, but we consider it to be a great way to play "Classic" without having computers bigger than we are.
Are you saying you dislike it?

I'd like to point out to whoever may be thinking of posting, this thread is "Who PLAYED IT but doesn't like it." There are other threads, or you can start a new one for folks that like MgT. See Who Plays MGT And Loves It?

Many people have voiced issues with how folks who don't like MgT have spoiled many of the MgT threads. Please don't take out retribution and attack them here in the thread I created, meant for expressing negative views of MgT. These people have opinions, the right to express them, and hopefully without being harassed.

Disclaimer: People I quote had something interesting to say that I noticed. My posts are meant to be informative and to express my opinion. I am in no way attacking anyones personal opinions, even if they differ from mine. People can play any version of Traveller and any other game they want in their own way without impeding other peoples ability to have fun.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_knox View Post
And? It's your money. Why did you want to buy them in the first place? Did the shopkeeper hold a gun to your head and force you to buy the books before you'd had a chance to read them first? Did you conduct an appraisal of the core rulebook before you bought it? Was the decision to buy the book your own, or did you buy the book as part of some sort of a market review for an article for some roleplaying site somewhere, necessitating its purchase to satisfy an editor?

Never mind. These are all rhetorical questions. You've made your choice and lodged your protest. Congratulations.

If everyone else decides to keep their books, that is their choice, too, and this being a democracy, I guess that means that everybody here has to accept what everybody else does. Even if they make choices to do things you don't want them to do. Even if the majority fail to even take notice of what you did, and carry on enjoying their copies of MGT regardless.

Even if forumites here express viewpoints diametrically opposed to your own. They, like you, are only asserting their right to say what they want to say as forum members. It's not your concern if what they say is more popular than what you have to say. That is the way democracy works.
???

Any reference to anything I said about why I dropped the books or so?

But once more, typed slowly: I did buy three books (Base, Merc, High) because

a) I wanted to look at the new Traveller version (Basic). While I came to the conclusion that Mgt is a third rate game system both as a generic and as a Traveller system (First rate: GURPS and TNE, Second rate T20 and MT, Fourth rate CT)

b) I still believed that it might improve in some areas (More detailed construction rules, Add-on combat rules/redone balancing) so I bought the two matching books

Well, it failed in that. Even ignoring the "Is this Traveller as I see it" problem it failed. It lacks the amount of realism and research I like (Merc) and it lacks the amount of detail I want in design/vehicle systems (HG)

At that time it was mostly "thanks but not for me". I used "30 days service" on Amazon for some other books but returned them. This time due to "not Traveller as I see it".

So I had stuff taking up valuabel space that is useless to me. And since I am not a collector, it goes.