Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old May 1st, 2014, 01:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Frank Masuda Transfers to Imperial Scout Service Ranger Branch (Agent) (Term 1)

Frank's UPP: 9BBA64

Begin: roll (2d6)[11] <=C3(End).

Oh, it looks bad... But wait, Frank had his End boosted to B when mustering from Scouts! He's IN!!

Undercover: Agents roll for one Undercover assignment each Term, then may choose any skill from the Career Role to which they were assigned.
Undercover Role: (1d3)[1] - (1d6)[4] - (1d3)[3] : Marine Officer. Skill: Soldier (Choose Skill or Knowledge).

Risk: C4 10 roll (2d6)[2]; if failed, injury of Roll-C4, less healing of (1d6)[6], is applied to C4. No injury.

Reward: C4 10 roll (2d6)[7]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C4-Roll. Wow, that is a Commendation-3!

Skills: Agents get 2 skills/term; 1 skill for Undercover; 4 skills for success on Reward roll.
2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[3] Ignore third roll; editing error, should be only 2 rolls.
Streetwise-1, Admin-1
1 Undercover skill: see above Undercover
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[2]
Streetwise +1, Forensics-1, Forensics +1, Survival +1

Continue: roll (2d6)[10]<=(Str+Terms) Barely made it, but yes they want him back for another Term.

===============================
Aging Rolls

I almost forgot about Aging rolls. You can get the details in the book, but essentially you roll for physical aging (loss of characteristics) beginning at age 34, and for both physical and mental aging beginning at age 66.

I find it easiest to begin physical aging checks at the end of the 4th Term (unless the character began careers younger or older, in which case at the end of the Term before he/she turns 34) and continue every term. It is debatable whether aging rolls properly begin at the beginning of the 5th Term and continue thereafter, but since you also have to do it at the end of your final term, I find this way makes it easier to remember.

The Target Number for an aging roll is the Life Stage the character is entering (see book for details), and remember you want to FAIL this roll, as each success is a loss of characteristic value.

The template setup if simple:
End of xth Term: Age xx, Entering Life Stage L
Str: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L - Dex: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L - End: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L

=====================
Here are Frank's Aging Results; Rolls were made on this page.

Str: 3<=5 - Dex: 7<=5 - End: 10<=5 So Frank lost 1 pt of Str, and no other losses.

Frank's UPP: 8BBA64
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Skill levels, branch
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:20 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Frank Masuda serves another Term in Ranger Branch (Agent) (Term 2)

Begin: roll (2d6)[7] <=C3(End). Ignore this!
He doesn't need to roll Begin again, but if I delete it I get an error from the die-roller anti-cheating system.

Undercover: Agents roll for one Undercover assignment each Term, then may choose any skill from the Career Role to which they were assigned.
Undercover Role: (1d3)[3] - (1d6)[1] - (1d3)[3] : Merchant Steward. Skill: Advocate-1.

Risk: C3 11 roll (2d6)[3]; if failed, injury of Roll-C3, less healing of (1d6)[3], is applied to C3. No injury.

Reward: C3 11 roll (2d6)[5]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C3-Roll. Commendation-6! Even better!

Skills: Agents get 2 skills/term; 1 skill for Undercover; 4 skills for success on Reward roll.
2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[3] - (1d6)[4] Ignore third roll; editing error, should be only 2 rolls.
Forensics +1, Hostile Env-1
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[1] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[4] - (1d6)[5]
Art: Actor +1, Forensics +1, Stealth-1, Bureaucrat-1

Continue: roll (2d6)[3]<=(Str+Terms) Welcome back for another term, Frank!

=====================

Str: 8<=5 - Dex: 6<=5 - End: 6<=5 - So Frank had no losses.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Levels & Branch
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:24 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda serves another Term in Ranger Branch (Agent) (Term 3)

Undercover Role: (1d3)[3] - (1d6)[2] - (1d3)[2] : Merchant Freightmaster. Skill Advocate +1.

Risk: C2 11 roll (2d6)[9]; if failed, injury of Roll-C2, less healing of (1d6)[6], is applied to C2. No injury.

Reward: C2 11 roll (2d6)[6]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C2-Roll. Commendation 5!

2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[2]
Streetwise +1, Fighter (Choose Skill or Knowledge)
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[1] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[4]
Fighter (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Gravitics-1, Gravitics +1, Stealth +1

Continue: roll (2d6)[9]<=(Str+Terms) One more term, Frank? Oh, OK.

=====================

Str: 5<=6 - Dex: 8<=6 - End: 11<=6 So Frank lost 1 pt of Str, and no other losses.

Frank's UPP: 7BBA64

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: The usual, levels and Branch
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:54 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda serves another Term in Ranger Branch (Agent) (Term 4)

Frank's UPP: 7BBA64

Undercover Role: (1d3)[3] - (1d6)[5] - (1d3)[1] : Citizen. Skill Stealth +1.

Risk: C1 7 roll (2d6)[5]; if failed, injury of Roll-C1, less healing of (1d6)[5], is applied to C1. No injury.

Reward: C1 7 roll (2d6)[5]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C1-Roll. Commendation-2.

2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[5]
Electronics-1, Electronics +1
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[3] - (1d6)[4] - (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[2]
Language: (Choose Language, see Ref), Stealth +1, Bureaucrat +1, Soldier (Choose Skill or Knowledge)

Continue: roll (2d6)[11]<=(Str+Terms) Again? No, thanks, guys, I'm ready to retire!

=====================

Str: 4<=6 - Dex: 7<=6 - End: 10<=6 So Frank lost 1 pt of Str, and no other losses.

Frank's UPP: 6BBA64

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Branch & Levels.
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:04 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Mustering Out from Rangers (Agent)

See previous post re procedures.

Oops, almost forgot to muster Frank out of the Rangers!

His four terms plus four Commendations give him eight rolls on the table, at a DM up to +8.

He also gets another roll due to Fame of 19+. (Frank's Fame is 12 for his three Discoveries as a Scout, plus 16 for his Commendations as an Agent (3+6+5+2=16), for total Fame of 28, although the Agent Fame is restricted to those with a Need to Know.) This roll could be on either Scout or Agent tables, but I'll just stick to Agents.

I'm not sure what Frank really wants from this besides Money, and there doesn't seem to be any more limit on the number of rolls on the Money table, unless it is hidden on some page I haven't seen yet.

Maybe Life Insurance would be good. A Knighthood? It should be easy to get with that +8 DM, but I dunno if Frank really wants a Knighthood.

Str+1 would be nice, but I don't really want to boost any of his other stats, except maybe Edu. Yeah, maybe I'm weird, but stats above B just seem strange to me.

So, OK... first four rolls will be on Agent Benefits table, using +7 DM.
1st: (1d6)[5] +7=12 Knighthood - Oh, all right, thank you, Your Majesty. Knight of the Empire (KE)
2nd: (1d6)[4] +7=11 Soc +1 (which has some odd effect if already knighted; will need to read Permatic House Rules again!
3rd: (1d6)[2] +7=9 Ship Share - must discuss w Magnus - does Frank own two ships now, or get his Scoutship free of duty?
4th: (1d6)[5] +7=12 Knighthood. Knight of the Prepared Order of Compass and Beacon (KB)

Well, !!! Almost every possible result except the Life Insurance he wants! Time for more rolls, but that needs to be a new post, because you can't make the die-roller work in an edited post.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; May 1st, 2014 at 11:23 PM..
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:14 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

More Mustering Out Rolls for Frank

Had nine rolls, made four, so five left.

I guess two more rolls on Benefits, still using that +7 DM.
1st: (1d6)[6] +7=13, which would be another rank of Knighthood, but I don't have to accept it, so I won't
2nd: (1d6)[4] +7=11, which would be Soc+1, but in this case it is a duplicate roll and I don't have to accept it, so I won't.

So, still five rolls left. Time to go for some cash, or keep trying for Life Insurance? Surely that can be bought in game, or subscribed, or something, if one has enough Money. I think I will take a little break now and consult the group wisdom of CotI.

EDIT: Having been informed that Life Insurance bought in-game costs MCr1, plus Cr100K to update, I think I'll give it a couple more tries before going for the Money. Could really use that Str+1, also, especially after those missed aging rolls.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; May 1st, 2014 at 11:27 AM..
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:03 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Aging Rolls for Frank Masuda

I was having so much fun last night pushing Frank through his careers, I forgot all about Aging rolls. You can get the details in the book, but essentially you roll for physical aging (loss of characteristics) beginning at age 34, and for both physical and mental aging beginning at age 66.

I find it easiest to begin physical aging checks at the end of the 4th Term (unless the character began careers younger or older, in which case at the end of the Term before he/she turns 34) and continue every term. It is debatable whether aging rolls properly begin at the beginning of the 5th Term and continue thereafter, but since you also have to do it at the end of your final term, I find this way makes it easier to remember.

The Target Number for an aging roll is the Life Stage the character is entering (see book for details), and remember you want to FAIL this roll, as each success is a loss of characteristic value.

The template setup if simple:
End of xth Term: Age xx, Entering Life Stage L
Str: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L - Dex: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L - End: [roll]2d6[/roll]<=L

Here are Frank's aging rolls, which I should have done at the end of each term, and may have to go back and radically fix or redo some things if he loses too much characteristic value.

End of 4th Term: Age 34, Entering Life Stage 5
Str: (2d6)[3]<=5 Dex: (2d6)[7]<=5 End: (2d6)[10]<=5

End of 5th Term: Age 38, Life Stage 5
Str: (2d6)[8]<=5 Dex: (2d6)[6]<=5 End: (2d6)[6]<=5

End of 6th Term: Age 42, Entering Life Stage 6
Str: (2d6)[5]<=6 Dex: (2d6)[8]<=6 End: (2d6)[11]<=6

End of 7th Term: Age 46, Life Stage 6
Str: (2d6)[4]<=6 Dex: (2d6)[7]<=6 End: (2d6)[10]<=6

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:46 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Although Frank still has five Mustering Out rolls left, I have some questions I need to ask Magnus (GM of the campaign that Frank will appear in), so I'll do a temporary wrap-up with Frank almost completed.

==============================================

Here is Frank Masuda v.4.0, made in my Using CotI Die-Roller T5 Char-Gen thread.

Frank Masuda, Imperial Scout Service, Permatic Imperium
Player: SpaceBadger; Created: 01 May 2014, for Magnus's PbP Game
Name: Francisco Jackson Masuda (Frank, Pancho)
Born: ???, Died: N/A, Seven Terms, Age: 46
Hair: Brown, Eyes: Blue, Height: 1.9m, Mass: 91 kg
Title(s): Senior Scout (7 terms), Knight of the Empire (KE), Knight of the Prepared Order of the Compass and Beacon (KB)
Fame: 12 (3 x Discoverer of [Something])
(Fame 16 as Agent limited to Need to Know)

Description: Frank Masuda (Pancho to old friends) is a deceptively mild, plain-featured man. Casual friends would call him a calm, friendly person. Those with sufficient security clearance to know of his exploits as a Ranger Agent would laugh out loud at such a description. He commonly wears his old Scout Service shipsuit, unless the circumstances call for dressing up or down. He always carries one non-lethal weapon, varying according to local legal restrictions. If expecting trouble, he will also be carrying (holstered) his TL-F Gauss pistol with selectable ammunition (tranq, frag, penetrator) from his Ranger days.

He is frequently found around starports, either operating his own Type S Scoutship Vargr's Grin or else working on some other ship, or doing a favor for someone down on his/her/its luck. His one public lament is that he never made enough discoveries for a TAS membership, and he jokes sometimes about saving his pennies to buy his way in.

UPP (final): 6BBA6B
UPP (birth): 9A9944
Genetic Profile: 6633X2

Skills: Art: Actor-2, Admin-1, Advocate-2, Animals-0 (Rider-1), Astrogator-2, Bureaucrat-2, Driver-1 (Grav-2), Fighter-3 (Unarmed-2), Flyer-1 (Grav-2), Forensics-4, Gravitics-2, Hostile Environment-1, JOT-1, Language: TBD-2, Pilot-2 (SmallCraft-2), Recon-2, Sensors-2, Stealth-4, Streetwise-3, Survey-2, Survival-3, Trade: Electronics-2, Trader-1, Vaccsuit-2. Where are all those Driver and Flyer coming from? I recall two Grav knowledge receipts for Flyer, but no Flyer Skill, and no Driver other than the HomeWorld Skill. Explain please, or at least point out where I missed the vitial info.

Also, in the future with Skills that have a 2 Knowledge receipt before Skill, please note the Knowledge taken in the Post, not in the wrap up. Also, same goes for Skill Set skills, like Soldier or Starship, note what Skill you chose at the time of post, not at the end.

[Cascades: Starship-6: Astrogator-2, Pilot-2(SmallCraft-2); Soldier-2: Recon-2]

Homeworld: Heridis (FS 1128) C 745 744-B S Ag Na Pi Tz 800 Im.
HW Skills: Animals, Survey, JOT, Driver

Education: ED5

Imperial Scout Service (Exploration & Contact) - Three Terms
- made three Discoveries, received three Discovery Grants
- received Type S Scoutship on detached duty status
- Fame 12 from three Discoveries

Imperial Scout Service (Ranger Division) - Four Terms (Agent)
- four undercover (Marine Officer, Merchant Steward, Merchant Astrogator, Citizen)
- received four Commendations: 3, 6, 5, 2 (16 total) Commendations are listed by the Undercover Career-N. So if they are in order they would be noted as IM Officer-3, Merch Stew-6, Merch Astro-5 and Citizen-2.
- awarded Knighthood upon retirement to reserve status
- Fame 16 from Commendations, only for those with Need to Know Which if was being a real dick about I would keep seperate from your Discovery Fame and then you lose the Fame 19+ Muster Out roll. Which if your Agent Fame is all that secret, would be proper. But I will let others comment on that before deciding...comments?

Items Still to Complete:
- ask Magnus: 2nd Knighthood Degree, +1Soc, ShipShare. Fine with you having advanced rank in one of your Orders. Which one you choosing? Ship Share can be re-rolled if you like, otherwise they are worth about 25 tons more ship, which you could take as a Pod, but that is more work for the Ref. Soc +1 (and the plus goes after the skill or stat) that one is difficult. A re-roll would work for the Ref, how about you?
- still five MO die rolls left!

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Question & Answer.
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:29 PM

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Nice Work!

Hey SpaceBadger,

I have read the thread and aside from a few notes here and there, most excellent. I do have a few quibbles as noted inline. I added to missing Skill levels, made notes that choices had to be made and noted and last it is the Ranger Branch, not Division. Scouts are divided by Branch organizationally, not by Divisions. I mean that one goes back to CT for cripes sake.

So, other than my mostly minor formatting totalitarianism, it looks good. Thanks.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:34 PM

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

test

(2d6)[6]
(2d6)[4]