Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
tim_manley Citizen
Default Straight Rules or House Rules

While I own all the Trav editions out there... CT has been my favorite. I've houseruled up my own version, tossing some MT into the mix (mainly the MT basic char gen) and added some more career paths and my own combat system that pre-dated MT.

I've been preparing a campaign with straight rules, limited purely to Books 1, 2 & 3. Of course I had to re-read them to make sure all the rules were fresh in my mind and I didn't "toss in" house rule by mistake.

So, my question to y'all that stick with CT. Do you stick with the rules as written or do you include your house-rules? If you include house-rules what are they?
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen

I tend to prefer house-rules myself. If I were to run, I would have the basic careers but run them per year, with enlisted ranks allowed, promotions twice a term until E3, and promotion once per term once commissioned.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Now that Supplement Four has gone native, I might be the most house-ruled CT player on the board.

What? Who threw that glove on the floor?

FAR too many houserules to list. More houserules than official ones IMTU, I reckon.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
FAR too many houserules to list. More houserules than official ones IMTU, I reckon.
But that is the beauty of CT, it is a very basic ruleset. You can tune it to your individual tastes very easily.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
tim_manley Citizen

Agreed. The basic mechanics of the game are beautiful in their core simplicity. It's very easy to plug in different "add-ons" to change the flavor to suit.

Even using just the core rules you can make a steam-punk game with aetherships and zeppelins (ala space 1889).

Many of my "house-rules" were localized around the campaign I was running. I'd often fine-tune the game rules to fit MTU.

In the last campaign I ran one of the changes I made was to add a lot more player choices. In that game "Scout" was a service provided by the space navy, so it fell off the career list. But, the game world had a lot more interesting parameters than just that.

I had 5 career blocks: education, civilian, independent, government and military

Education
College
Naval Academy
Military Academy
Merchant Academy

Civilian
Employment
Doctor
Merchant
Clergy
Scientist

Independent
Belter
Pirate
Rogue
Hunter
Drifter

Government Service
Law Enforcement
Diplomat
Bureaucrat
Imperial Intelligence Service
Marshal
Noble

Military Service
Navy
Marines
Army
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
Now that Supplement Four has gone native, I might be the most house-ruled CT player on the board.
Gone native with the injuns, feathers and all.

*Note that playing CT "by-the-book" does not necessarily mean playing the rules, verbatim, from the book. Before you scratch your head at that, remember the CT encourages customizations to fit certain circumstances and interpolation of the rules where the rules are thin.

For example, I may rule, when starting a campaign, that all players are from a certain homeworld. And, then, I may decide that the "Army" career on this particular world refers to the local ground army (and not the "Imperial Army"). So, I may limit the TL of equipment and skills gained in the Army career to the world's TL...and I may substitute some skills in the Army career skill charts for skills I want to have added to the campaign.

When people think of me playing CT strictly by the book, which I am doing, they may think that the Army career in Book 1 is exactly what my players roll on when rolling an Army character. That may not be the case.

In fact, I think CT players use the defacto chargen tables "as-is" too much. Careers should be "customized" for the campaign being played.

And...everything I mention here is not a "house rule". It's a customization encouraged by the CT rules--with a lot of precedent.

Another Army character, later in the same campaign, may be rolled up using different chargen tables with different restrictions, based on the world that Army character is from (if different from the original world where we kicked off the campaign).

Many rules, the chargen tables included, in CT are meant as "examples", not as "gospel". GMs are encouraged to use them as a base then tweak to taste.

And, THAT really is playing CT by the book (just not by the book that you might have originally imagined).

Classic Traveller is the best pnp roleplaying game ever written--and one of the reasons it is that is because it is so flexible.

Last edited by Supplement Four; July 28th, 2008 at 08:59 PM..
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM

saundby Citizen
Default Flashing bus bars and slide rules

I have my own universe for CT with a lot of Doc Smith-style tech in it. Moving in and out of jump releases a broad-spectrum EMP, so computers are tube, electromechanical, and mechanical. Shielding doesn't help since all mass making jump generates the radiant energy. More shielding around the semi diodes means more pulse to knock them out. The highest tech levels have jump-proof electronics, but they're darn rare. Scientists and navigators do carry slide rules (and other mechanical calculators.)

My ship design system is based on mass rather than displacement. Spherical hulls dominate the designs for this reason.

Other than this the mechanics of my game are pretty much LBB1-3 with some tweaked careers to produce some specialized characters for specific games.

At present I'm starting an MGT campaign that I'll be playing by the book, and in the OTU at that (a first for me.) My players enjoy the Doc Smith/Jack Vance/Harry Harrison elements of my game, though, so I expect a fair bit of that will come in.
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Explains the size of computers neatly enough.
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

House rules for sure, but based on one version of Traveller or another usually.

Character generation includes the special duty roll and rule of 4 from MT, and I allow players to have lvl0 skill in every skill on the charts bar the advanced education table.

Task system - don't roll a 2, roll 8+, roll 12+, roll a natural 12 and we'll talk.

Combat system is based on a hybrid of T4 and T20 with some extra stuff thrown in - no first blood rule, crit hit on a double that hits (has the effect of the first blood rule).
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I used the same basic idea (jump has an EMP), and micro-vacuum tube computers.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.