Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5

Traveller 5 Discussion of the Fifth edition of Traveller, released Spring 2013.

Old January 15th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
dalthor Citizen+dalthor Citizen+
Default Surface-mounted sensors

I was messing around with my small ship database recovery project yesterday, and got to thinking about T5 sensor systems.

The sensor section (T5.09, pages 352-363) describes the various types of sensor systems, and gives some information about mounts. Turrets and antennae are somewhat obvious as to form, but surface mounts are essentially up to the referee to describe. They do not take up any volume, and apparently are built right into (or onto?) the hull.

In most cases, I see surface mounts as "spots" on the hull, so to speak. I decided they are generally small disk-shaped receptors or transmitters, and that there is one "spot" per 10 tons of hull size [EDIT: and possibly per sensor type]. The sensor console(s) coordinate the I/O with those systems.

[hmmmm...in meatspace look at all the new "radar" tech built into our cars - blind spot monitoring and all that new stuff. I see a LOT of car bumpers with "spots" for sensors. This is kinda how I see surface mounts IMTU. ]

This gives redundancy, and also allows full 3-dimensional broadcast, reception and/or detection capability when maneuvering radically, for example during combat. It also makes it MUCH harder to fully blind a ship with surface mounts, although I do reduce sensor capability due to damage or other logical considerations.

How do you, as referee, handle surface mounts? Is there an OTU definition out there?

I'm kinda looking for other ideas, especially since there are so many shipyards out there, Hooman and otherwise.

Sir Dalthor Et Magera, TAS Life Member (Dagu/Ikabi) #0254
Knight of the Domain of Deneb, Spin 1932 Mithras C8B5568-8 Fl Ni Px
Baron of the Imperial Core, Core 2336 Adan D661696-6 Ni Ri
Count of the Third Imperium, Dagu 1929 Ikabi C0009DE-B Ni Ri
MCG, The Pursuits at Menorb
4518th Lift Infantry Rgt, #48 and #227

My work-in-progress: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Varan_Republic

I like to think I'm smarter than the average dummy

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.