Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old January 11th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

One on a new ship may be empty or just freshly stocked by the chandler.

I kinda suspect on a forty year old ship, you probably should restock.

With a Scout ship, it may depend on how good on terms you are with the quartermaster.
Old January 14th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

mega-striker Citizen

Thanks for all the ideas. I think, especially as my son is new to Traveller and I have been out of the loop for so long, that roleplaying the hand over of the scout would be the best way to handle this. That way we shall see what, if anything, may be stocked as supplied.

Plus I intend on making him create a log of exploration results. Since this is a scout ship on detached duty it will be part of his monthly ownership requirements. He won't be required to travel outside the imperium but he will have to make up and provide some information about the worlds he visits. I may have to work up a minimum information required sheet for him to follow. The more info, well maybe a few spares and consumables will come his way. Not enough or too little info and the repo men may come calling...

I hope to encourage him to write up very detailed reports and get free fuel and maybe foodstuffs. Plus good intel should be rewarded by a very good chance that the IISS will have missions in the future.

Thanks for the ideas, links and general devil's advocating.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Here's a thought for flexibility but not all-powerful ship's locker-

Use the 68A system, and determine the role of the ship locker, specialized or general-

SURVIVAL- space survival including vacc suits, extra life support, etc. and ground survival, tents/shelter, environmental clothing, general medkits, extra food/water, comms, hunting/tools, etc.

SHIP DAMAGE-heavy engineer rad suits, extra ship tool kits, common parts, cabling both power and control, spare plating/sealing, medkits for large scale hits/rad damage, emergency life support/power, etc.

COMBAT- small arms locker with matching ammo, at least 1-2 heavy support weapons/missiles, personal armor, medkits for wound trauma, non-lethals for passenger control/security, 1+ boarding suits and hullcutters/demolitions, grenades/mines, etc.

EXPLORATION- as survival but geared towards either space or ground exploration/prospecting, with more sensors, sample gathering, analysis tools, etc.

MEDICAL/RESCUE- as survival but past vacc/enviornment suits, cutting gear for access to wrecks, full paramedic/trauma medkits, pharmaceutical suite, full surgical tools and equipment, infection conrol, etc.

MERCHANT- a mix of space survival, tools, non-lethal security, and merchant small trade items, plus the ship's safe.

GENERAL- a smattering of all of the above.

General rules of thumb-
  • Start with 6+ as basic roll for item that should be in it's specialty locker.
  • Add two levels, to A+, if it's an item that would NOT be in that specific specialty locker.
  • Add one level, to 8+, if rolling against a GENERAL locker.
  • If an item is rare and expensive, add 1-2 levels.
  • If an item is available, the next time it's rolled for increase the level by one.
  • If salvaging/looting a wreck/piracy, add 1 level.
  • If the level increases past the A+ roll, it's not available.

If an item is not there, it can't be rolled for again, it will have to be restocked. Or if you like the whole maker concept, then you CAN reroll to have a maker make the item, but if the roll fails again there are not enough of the 'right' feedstocks to make an emergency version of the item. Emergency maker versions are not production quality control and have to be checked for avoiding breaking 4+ every time its used.

I'd say the ship's locker is part of the bridge cost and tonnage, and is 1dton of that bridge per 30 crew/passengers. The cost of initial equipping is covered in the bridge cost, probably half of the per dton cost and the rest is special protection/armor/security doors/locks- this is after all the last line of life of the ship in this room.

If additional specialized ship's lockers are desired, just use the 30 people per dton and bridge costs for your version. That would allow for better survival chances and a die roll per locker, lessening the risk of being caught short.

Last edited by kilemall; Yesterday at 02:37 PM..
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

mega-striker Citizen

Interesting approach. I am not really familiar with rule 68A yet, but understand it, especially as I was still gaming when Mega Traveller came out.

I like the approach, if not there: no more rolls, it has to be bought. I would think damage control supplies would be stored in or adjacent to engineering. I do have some concerns about how much in spare parts (engineering and controls or sensors) would be appropriate. In the future would everything be made from a handful of common "modules" (as opposed to individual components) making line replaceable units more useful and effective. Especially as repair and service locations are now weeks to months away.

Thank you.
Old Today, 09:13 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

One other thought, you could apply the above roles to specific lockers by ACS types by their more typical usage.

Types A, R, M would get the Merchant Ship's Locker.

SDBs, CEs, Patrol, would get Ship Damage.

Marine/Army, Type C and Pirate Corsairs would get Combat.

Types J, L and S would get Exploration.

Hunters, possibly Yachts would get Survival.
Old Today, 10:44 AM

mega-striker Citizen

That is pretty much what I was thinking as far as mission and potential loadout of the locker. WRT certain classes, yes they would get or start with standard loadouts, with the potential to do some attempted pick and choose. But ships operating on the frontier or with quite variable intended roles (such as scouts which can operate over a wide range of roles) they would be able to pick from appropriate lists. Especially detached duty scouts. In my case I see them being very much a product of their location. Near the borders and they may be expected, and required, to visit unexplored, unsettled or unaligned worlds. Nearer the imperial core and they will be expected to report on the comings and goings of known groups, the status of amber or even red zones (in order to keep star maps up to date) or general cases of "have things changed since we last went there" kind of missions. And yes I do expect detached duty scouts to be required to perform missions for IISS if they want to keep "their" ships.