Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
CyberGarp Citizen
Default Law and Communication

It's been 20+ years since I played. Our group has decided to go old school and have a year of Traveller. So, I'm in the middle of planning a campaign and the following questions struck me:

(1) What prevents someone from committing murder, hopping a ship to the next system and then disappearing into the masses?
(2) To prevent this a communication grid of sorts is needed first. I envision a distributed, encrypted, verifying from multiple sources for of packet network. I.e., each ship leaving port is given a piece of information. This information packet is accumulated at the next port of call and modified. So, banks, the law, and news are all transmitted with ships coming and going. The individual ship can't tamper with it, and it is checked and verified with other packets. There is some kickback for allowing this service (maybe waiving some port fees). This could be augmented with some kind of message torpedoes. So a criminal may carry the information to track him when fleeing!
(3) The whole system breaks a bit when crossing over into different government boundaries. This is analogous to Louisiana not sharing drivers information with Tennessee. So if one crossed over into the Sword Worlds from the Imperium they would have their own information network. This is like our criminal crossing into Mexico. Also the amount of detail moved back and forth is dependent on importance, like traffic tickets will not get network time and only exist locally.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this, and if any articles have been written. It's a key point to the campaign I'm going to run. But the players don't know that--yet.

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.