Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 1st, 2014, 05:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++
Default Banking Houses

Would there be surviving Banking houses from old Earth?

If not, Swiss* and offshore types that you can "safely" stash your money?

How far reaching? Sector/Empire/Known Human Space/Known Space?

*Example Only**, as most people have a passing knowledge.

**Pre WW2 of course...

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:53 PM

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
Lightbulb My TU

IMTU
Only through Megacorps or on worlds with a TL above 12
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:18 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

IMTU I have duchy-wide banks in all the duchies. Probably there are sectorwide banks too, though I haven't used any. Domain-wide banks, possibly, but probably not. Imperium-wide there is Hortaliz & Cie.

Hans
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:38 PM
Knight

Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+

I'd give good odds that there would be one or more de Rothschild's somewhere in the Imperium

You know there are lots of types of banks. Retail banks that any Traveller can walk into a branch at the Starport or log onto in most systems, banks that lend to banks, banks that are a branch of a megacorps and handle the transfer of funds around the corporation, banks that own asteroids where they operate the ultimate deposit boxes (with deep meson security). [Edit] Banks that only lend to Nobles and banks that follow some special cultural, religious or ethnic banking rules.

There will probably be banking leagues or unions a bit like the mail/postal unions that exist between groups of planets in the OTU. Banks that share information across clusters, sectors and domains to make funds transfere easier or to provide something like the cirius (I may be mis-remembering that name) system that allows funds access from ATMs across European banks.

I love the special Imperial Navy bank "IN Credit" that appears in GT The Best of JTAS. I have it IMTU and a similar Paymasters Dept. for my Imperial Army. those a definitly Imperium wide.

You know it strikes me that there is evidence of Imperium wide banks in the OTU if you can get a ship's mortgage at the same rate and terms everywhere and if when you skip the bank comes after you regardless of sector or subsector boundaries.
Knight of Deneb - Reft - 2738 Cyril

Damn you gravity, you win again...

tc tne+ T5++ ru ge++ 3i++ c- au+ pi+ he++ so++ 0201
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:38 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

In My Traveller Universe, Lloyd's Bank of Terra has branches at pretty much all of the planets with at least a Class C star port, and some Class D. Lloyd's of Terra is one of the Imperium's leading insurance brokers, and also handles mercenary engagements along with other business. The Solomani Sun Bank covers all planets in the Solomani Sphere. Then there is the Imperium Bank of Regina in the Spinward Marches. I have not added more than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
Would there be surviving Banking houses from old Earth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
In My Traveller Universe, Lloyd's Bank of Terra has branches at pretty much all of the planets with at least a Class C star port, and some Class D. Lloyd's of Terra is one of the Imperium's leading insurance brokers, and also handles mercenary engagements along with other business. The Solomani Sun Bank covers all planets in the Solomani Sphere. Then there is the Imperium Bank of Regina in the Spinward Marches. I have not added more than that.

Lloyd's of London (Terra) is actually canon in Traveller (IIRC it was in the DGP material or GURPS material): Lloyd's is an insurance underwriter in the Solomani Confederation, filling a role similar to TAS's insurance underwriting activities.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789C–A
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:14 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Lloyd's of London (Terra) is actually canon in Traveller (IIRC it was in the DGP material or GURPS material): Lloyd's is an insurance underwriter in the Solomani Confederation, filling a role similar to TAS's insurance underwriting activities.
As I do not have any GURPS, and not that much Digest Group, I would not know that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 41
Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++
Send a message via Yahoo to Patron Zero

Silly question but might one ask what sort of 'gold' standard the established banks back their lines of credit with ?

I ask because precious metals such as gold, silver and platinum would lose value with miners and surveyors flooding the marketplace with mega-tons of such commodities from mineral-rich asteroid fields.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:51 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron Zero View Post
Silly question but might one ask what sort of 'gold' standard the established banks back their lines of credit with ?
Planetary banks would back their currency with Imperial credits and the Imperium would back its credits with the combined economies of 9000 systems.

Hans
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:12 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Just an observation (not a follow on or comment on anyone's previous post).

Remember how the RoM collapsed and the Long Night began?

A world bank refused to honour the credit...

Quote:
The - 1776 date for the end of the Rule of Man is arbitrary, and notes the financial
collapse of the central government, when the Treasury at Hub/Ershur refused
to honor a monetary issue of the branch treasury at Antares. The resulting lack
of confidence within monetary circles marked the end of large-scale interstellar trade
and of effective governmental power within the Rule of Man.
Interesting stuff