Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Generally, I use extant patterns for circlets, but vertically compressed. As in, maybe an inch wide band, and the pattern often being on the band, and if not, only rising half an inch.

Extant patterns:
Duke: leaves (8 large or 16 small)
Marquis: leaves and pearls (4 each large), or 8 large points.
Count: battlements or alternation of large leaves and pearls on points, or 4 large points with 4 large pearls between.
Viscount: ring of pearls (16+) or alternation of 4 small leaves and 4 pearls on short points. Or a circlet of 4 large points.
Baron: 6-12 pearls or a single large point with 7-15 lesser points. Pearls may be on points.
Baronette: 6-12 pearls on a simple circlet, or a single point on a simple circlet with a pearl atop.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reban View Post
Getting back to Magnus's original idea. The spear or standard borne in front of the Emperor brings to mind the Roman standard or Aquila. Not in usage but form. Its also suitably imperial. There's even a cool latin term for the guy who carries it; the Aquilifer, or eagle-bearer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...man_aquila.jpg

You could make the eagle holographic or animatronic, each pose could signify the different degrees or state of war.
You mean, "exactly like the one on the cover of the Traveller's Digest, issue #9":
http://rpggeek.com/image/622602/the-...digest-issue-9

The staff is shown again in a b&w sketch on p 18, as part of "Imperial Guard Uniforms". The guards wear scarlet uniforms (maroon for Marines) with gold ceremonial torso armor and helmets.

The only other things I can offer are:
- "no jewelry is to be worn on the head or face in the Emperor's presence" (TD#9 p 8)
- Strephon knights the four travellers with a sword (ibid, p 9)
- Dulinor is armed with a LARGE handgun, and Lady Jessica is armed with a sword (ibid, p 10)
- after the assassination "Dulinor took Strephon's crown and sceptre" (ibid, p 15)
- some knights are considered "defenders of the realm" and permitted (sometimes compelled) to carry weaponry in excess of local law level, even in the presence of a higher noble (ibid, p 31) [NOTE: this may have been changed by one of the later books on nobility, which I don't own]
- Strephon is pictured wearing a circlet on his head, with a single jewel in the middle. He also wears a high-collared cloak (think: Dr Strange, though not as flamboyant) with sunbursts on each side of the collar, under his throat. Finally, he wears a belt with a large buckle, on which appears to be a stylised sun. (ibid, p 43)

All this , of course, only applies if you take DGP's work to be canonical.
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th

Last edited by Hyphen; April 12th, 2014 at 05:58 PM..
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reban View Post
Getting back to Magnus's original idea. The spear or standard borne in front of the Emperor brings to mind the Roman standard or Aquila. Not in usage but form. Its also suitably imperial. There's even a cool latin term for the guy who carries it; the Aquilifer, or eagle-bearer.
Since Anglic seems to be the Imperium's Latin (well, mottos tend to be in Anglic, at least), he could be an Eagleler. Or if he's carrying the banner Hyphen linked to in his post, the Rocketer.

Hans
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Right before I crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Since Anglic seems to be the Imperium's Latin (well, mottos tend to be in Anglic, at least), he could be an Eagleler. Or if he's carrying the banner Hyphen linked to in his post, the Rocketer.

Hans
It is Rocketeer! Two "e"s. And that was suggestion for if I remember correctly Danish spacefarers when they were looking for suggestions. Eagler have no problem with, kinda like it even, though I might demote it to a military Flag officer thing.

Well, rack time!

Oh, and again, thank you for your contributions.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
It is Rocketeer! Two "e"s.
Not so. A rocketeer would be someone who was armed with rockets. Parallel with musketeer. I coined 'rocketer' as a parallel to 'aquilifier'. Not the only possible coinage, but 'rocketeer' isn't one of the possbilities as far as I am concerned.

Hans
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Not so. A rocketeer would be someone who was armed with rockets. Parallel with musketeer. I coined 'rocketer' as a parallel to 'aquilifier'.
If it helps for the purpose of the discussion, the "-ifer" suffix in Latin ("-opher" in Greek) implies "bearer", as in "Aquilifer" (Eagle-bearer), "Aquifer" (Water-bearer), "Signifer" (Sign-bearer), "Imagnifer" (Image-bearer), "Crucifer" (Cross-bearer), "Christoper" (Christ-bearer), "Lucifer" (Light-bearer), etc.

Signifer might be a simple solution ("sign-bearer"). Historically, he was the Ensign for a Roman Centuria who bore the "Signa" of that Centuria, although Imagnifer might work as well (Image-bearer).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

I've no idea what the golden ovoid thing above the rocket ship is, but I think it's clever that the ship-plus-rocket-trail looks like a spetum (a form of polearm).
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
If it helps for the purpose of the discussion, the "-ifer" suffix in Latin ("-opher" in Greek) implies "bearer", as in "Aquilifer" (Eagle-bearer), "Aquifer" (Water-bearer), "Signifer" (Sign-bearer), "Imagnifer" (Image-bearer), "Crucifer" (Cross-bearer), "Christoper" (Christ-bearer), "Lucifer" (Light-bearer), etc.
If there is an English suffix that implies 'bearer' then it would be a help. Otherwise not so much. My original quip was based on the (not necessarily correct) assumption that the Imperium uses Anglic where we use Latin.

Hans
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
If there is an English suffix that implies 'bearer' then it would be a help. Otherwise not so much. My original quip was based on the (not necessarily correct) assumption that the Imperium uses Anglic where we use Latin.
Understood. But I always got the impression that it was Old High Vilani that was the "Latin" of the Third Imperium.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Understood. But I always got the impression that it was Old High Vilani that was the "Latin" of the Third Imperium.
My evidence is certainly pretty flimsy, namely that several canonical unit mottos are in English rather than Latin. But where have you come across any examples of Old High Vilani being used as the "Latin" of the Imperium? Or was it a statement to that effect?

Hans