Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
storuggla Citizen
At TL8 Vacc Suits bevome availible, if I am not mistaken. And their weight is decreased by 2 by each TL. Since they start at a weight of 10, that'd mean that they don't weigh anything. At least not enough to bother your average player character.
So what do they look like then? Is the future really filled with spandex-vacc suits now?

I apologize for my appalling punctuation, this is pre-morning tea so I'm a bit off.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

storuggla Citizen
At TL8 Vacc Suits bevome availible, if I am not mistaken. And their weight is decreased by 2 by each TL. Since they start at a weight of 10, that'd mean that they don't weigh anything. At least not enough to bother your average player character.
So what do they look like then? Is the future really filled with spandex-vacc suits now?

I apologize for my appalling punctuation, this is pre-morning tea so I'm a bit off.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
Piper Citizen
My guess is something like spandex; either that, or some bulkier hi-tech material that is very light yet flexible under pressure.

There was an article in one of the JTAS editions (9 I think) that covers vacc suits in detail.
This link has a discussion of some of the factors involved.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
Piper Citizen
My guess is something like spandex; either that, or some bulkier hi-tech material that is very light yet flexible under pressure.

There was an article in one of the JTAS editions (9 I think) that covers vacc suits in detail.
This link has a discussion of some of the factors involved.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Vacc Suits at TL13 in MT have a mass of 1.0kg, while at TL14 they are reduced to 0.5kg.

TL14+ vacc suits can aso be obtained which are tailored to the individual and are effectively zero mass.

The various life support packs, hard helmets, and self seal options all continue to weigh something, though.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Vacc Suits at TL13 in MT have a mass of 1.0kg, while at TL14 they are reduced to 0.5kg.

TL14+ vacc suits can aso be obtained which are tailored to the individual and are effectively zero mass.

The various life support packs, hard helmets, and self seal options all continue to weigh something, though.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Uncle Bob Citizen
Now available as a 9 MB .pdf
Quote:
. Development of a space activity suit
Annis, J. F.; Webb, P.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-CR-1892 , 19711101; Nov 1, 1971
The development of a series of prototype space activity suit (SAS) assemblies is discussed. The SAS is a new type of pressure suit designed especially for extravehicular activity. It consists of a set of carefully tailored elastic fabric garments which have been engineered to supply sufficient counterpressure to the body to permit subjects to breath O2 at pressures up to 200 mm Hg without circulatory difficulty. A closed, positive pressure breathing system (PPBS) and a full bubble helmet were also developed to complete the system. The ultimate goal of the SAS is to improve the range of activity and decrease the energy cost of work associated with wearing conventional gas filled pressure suits. Results are presented from both laboratory (1 atmosphere) and altitude chamber tests with subjects wearing various SAS assemblies. In laboratory tests lasting up to three hours, the SAS was worn while subjects breathed O2 at pressures up to 170 mm Hg without developing physiological problems. The only physiological symptoms apparent were a moderate tachycardia related to breathing pressures above 130 mm Hg, and a small collection of edema fluid in the hands. Both problems were considered to be related to areas of under-pressurization by the garments. These problems, it is suggested, can ultimately be corrected by the development of new elastic fabrics and tailoring techniques. Energy cost of activity, and mobility and dexterity of subjects in the SAS, were found to be superior to those in comparable tests on subjects in full pressure suits.
Accession ID: 72N13077
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1972005428.pdf
Document ID: 19720005428
Updated/Added to NTRS: 2004
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Now available as a 9 MB .pdf
Quote:
. Development of a space activity suit
Annis, J. F.; Webb, P.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-CR-1892 , 19711101; Nov 1, 1971
The development of a series of prototype space activity suit (SAS) assemblies is discussed. The SAS is a new type of pressure suit designed especially for extravehicular activity. It consists of a set of carefully tailored elastic fabric garments which have been engineered to supply sufficient counterpressure to the body to permit subjects to breath O2 at pressures up to 200 mm Hg without circulatory difficulty. A closed, positive pressure breathing system (PPBS) and a full bubble helmet were also developed to complete the system. The ultimate goal of the SAS is to improve the range of activity and decrease the energy cost of work associated with wearing conventional gas filled pressure suits. Results are presented from both laboratory (1 atmosphere) and altitude chamber tests with subjects wearing various SAS assemblies. In laboratory tests lasting up to three hours, the SAS was worn while subjects breathed O2 at pressures up to 170 mm Hg without developing physiological problems. The only physiological symptoms apparent were a moderate tachycardia related to breathing pressures above 130 mm Hg, and a small collection of edema fluid in the hands. Both problems were considered to be related to areas of under-pressurization by the garments. These problems, it is suggested, can ultimately be corrected by the development of new elastic fabrics and tailoring techniques. Energy cost of activity, and mobility and dexterity of subjects in the SAS, were found to be superior to those in comparable tests on subjects in full pressure suits.
Accession ID: 72N13077
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1972005428.pdf
Document ID: 19720005428
Updated/Added to NTRS: 2004
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM

Sifu Blackirish Citizen
Smile

I would consider TL15 vacc suits, at the civilian level, to be pretty minimal, even disposable. I do remember that the life support unit was so small it could be on a belt. No wonder the regular vacc suits wearers call them 'trashbags...' [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Once we get to military uprating, we get things like armor reinforcement on joints, 'nipper' joints that amputate in case of damage to the limb, maybe even a self-sealing 'sandwich' layer that seals minor breaches automatically. Isn't combat armor rated for vacuum at high TL?

I could answer these questions quickly if I was at home. Unfortunately all my reference materials ae in another sector entirely...
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM

Sifu Blackirish Citizen
Smile

I would consider TL15 vacc suits, at the civilian level, to be pretty minimal, even disposable. I do remember that the life support unit was so small it could be on a belt. No wonder the regular vacc suits wearers call them 'trashbags...' [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Once we get to military uprating, we get things like armor reinforcement on joints, 'nipper' joints that amputate in case of damage to the limb, maybe even a self-sealing 'sandwich' layer that seals minor breaches automatically. Isn't combat armor rated for vacuum at high TL?

I could answer these questions quickly if I was at home. Unfortunately all my reference materials ae in another sector entirely...