Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I posted this elsewhere but it may be of interest to those of you who don't follow every thread...

Jame's posting of LBB2 designs a few weeks ago got me thinking about warships in the LBB2 paradigm again.
His "dreadnought" carried so many fighters it got me thinking about how combat works between the "big ships" in the LBB2 paradigm. Notice that with multitarget the most fighters you can engage is 4.
So if a 5000t warship launches 80-100 fighters at you, and you haven't got a similar fighter screen available, you are (especially if using the special supplement missile rules) [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Here is a possible balancing option.

Install more computers to allow turrets to be directed at x targets per computer multi-target4 program running, and one CIC module (4tons, 1MCr, 1 crew required) per additional computer installed

Example, a 2000t destroyer with a model 7 computer and 20 turrets can only engage up to 4 separate targets. To make it more effective versus fighters and the like, the architect opts to install a 16t CIC and 4 model 5 computers (to run target, multi-target 4, predict 4, gunner interact, and return fire). The destroyer may now fire each turret at a separate target.

By the way, does anyone keep track of the extra cost involved with equiping warships with all these computer programs
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I posted this elsewhere but it may be of interest to those of you who don't follow every thread...

Jame's posting of LBB2 designs a few weeks ago got me thinking about warships in the LBB2 paradigm again.
His "dreadnought" carried so many fighters it got me thinking about how combat works between the "big ships" in the LBB2 paradigm. Notice that with multitarget the most fighters you can engage is 4.
So if a 5000t warship launches 80-100 fighters at you, and you haven't got a similar fighter screen available, you are (especially if using the special supplement missile rules) [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Here is a possible balancing option.

Install more computers to allow turrets to be directed at x targets per computer multi-target4 program running, and one CIC module (4tons, 1MCr, 1 crew required) per additional computer installed

Example, a 2000t destroyer with a model 7 computer and 20 turrets can only engage up to 4 separate targets. To make it more effective versus fighters and the like, the architect opts to install a 16t CIC and 4 model 5 computers (to run target, multi-target 4, predict 4, gunner interact, and return fire). The destroyer may now fire each turret at a separate target.

By the way, does anyone keep track of the extra cost involved with equiping warships with all these computer programs
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Noble

Ship designs to follow...
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Noble

Ship designs to follow...
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
...By the way, does anyone keep track of the extra cost involved with equiping warships with all these computer programs
raises hand slowly, all alone,

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Red face

Quote:
...By the way, does anyone keep track of the extra cost involved with equiping warships with all these computer programs
raises hand slowly, all alone,

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

The Oz Citizen
That's an interesting idea, Sigg.

One other way I've handled the LBB2 limit on targets is to put a real "fire control computer" with every turret. A Mod/3 works well enough for laser turrets, having the space to run a good mix of offensive programs and lots of storage to switch out the ones you don't need all the time. Mod/2bis can do the job if you don't mind their relative inflexibility. Mod/2's can handle missile turrets, depending on whether you think missiles can benefit from Predict or Select programs (I don't allow that; I like missiles to be more random, since they're so powerful). Plain old Mod/1s can do the job for sand turrets.

One other advantage to fire control computers is that the ship's main computer is freed from having to run offensive programs and so can be dedicated to defensive software.
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM

The Oz Citizen
That's an interesting idea, Sigg.

One other way I've handled the LBB2 limit on targets is to put a real "fire control computer" with every turret. A Mod/3 works well enough for laser turrets, having the space to run a good mix of offensive programs and lots of storage to switch out the ones you don't need all the time. Mod/2bis can do the job if you don't mind their relative inflexibility. Mod/2's can handle missile turrets, depending on whether you think missiles can benefit from Predict or Select programs (I don't allow that; I like missiles to be more random, since they're so powerful). Plain old Mod/1s can do the job for sand turrets.

One other advantage to fire control computers is that the ship's main computer is freed from having to run offensive programs and so can be dedicated to defensive software.
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
Quote:

4 Model/5 computers - 180MCr
4 CIC Units - 4MCr
4 Target Programs - 4 MCr
4 Multi-Target-4 Programs - 12MCr
4 Predict-4 Programs - 32MCr
4 Gunner Interact Programs - 4MCr
4 Return Fire Programs - 2MCr
Total: 238MCr per destroyer

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
Quote:

4 Model/5 computers - 180MCr
4 CIC Units - 4MCr
4 Target Programs - 4 MCr
4 Multi-Target-4 Programs - 12MCr
4 Predict-4 Programs - 32MCr
4 Gunner Interact Programs - 4MCr
4 Return Fire Programs - 2MCr
Total: 238MCr per destroyer

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King