Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old April 29th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+
Default The Travellers' Aid Society

We are very proud to announce the launch of the Travellers' Aid Society, a new programme that allows fans of Traveller to publish commercial material for their favourite sci-fi game with very few restrictions!

You can visit the TAS here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/...rs-Aid-Society

And learn all the ins and outs here: http://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/e...d-Society-TAS-

However, we have made everything very simple. When publishing through Drivethru and TAS, you are free to use any and all current material from the new edition of Traveller as well as (and this is the big one!) any information from any of our Third Imperium books - that is right, you are no longer restricted to specific areas such as Foreven, you can now publish material for the Spinward Marches, Solomani Rim, or any other areas of the Official Traveller Universe.

We have also created forums to handle discussions and all your questions about TAS right here: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewforum.php?f=150

The Far Future is looking bright!
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Absent Friend

Aramais Citizen
Default So, I'm Curious...

And speaking for myself only.

How will you deal with the inevitable "canonicity" arguments? I suppose it will be clear that material published in this way has NOT been submitted to either Mongoose or FFE for review of such issues.

When I came back to writing for Traveller, I spent a fair amount of time to getting up to speed on the Spinward Marches, a milieu I NEVER played in (they weren't published, or at least in any stores I had access to, when I played in college, so I never adopted the OTU). I take a certain amount of pride in both checking the canon to try to be consistent, and to considering comments regarding same from reviewers. Don and I butted heads on politics, but he had a good head for both what was canon, and what would create a SERIOUS canon "issue" (e.g., a snazzy idea I had for presenting facts from the past in the novel I am tidying up -- which would have left a hole wide enough for several large trucks to drive through).

Also, if I understand correctly, Mongoose will own the rights to all material published. Speaking now as a lawyer, and with interest in maintaining certain rights when -I- write, what compensation are you offering to, say, ME in return for Mongoose claiming rights to all material published this way? It seems from what I hear that you are claiming the right to all IP produced this way, which seems to me to be QUITE a copyright transfer for an item simply uploaded to your page on DriveThru by an eager youth. Where and how will all these matters be set out? Will you be properly recording such copyright transfers?
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Very cool, Matt. I actually saw that this morning when I logged in to check my account.
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramais View Post
Speaking now as a lawyer, and with interest in maintaining certain rights when -I- write, what compensation are you offering to, say, ME in return for Mongoose claiming rights to all material published this way?
You get 50% of all that you publish.

Forgive my smart attitude. I'm upset at DriveThru thinking this is a wonderful deal. I am seriously considering taking the D66 Compendium 2 down and walking away from Traveller because of all this. It has been a massively stressful 36 hours.

So if you are thinking of downloading the D66 Compendium 2, grab it now.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

50%?

Is that true?

You're joking, right?
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Baron

Visit Gypsy Knights Games's Blog
Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 View Post
You get 50% of all that you publish.

Forgive my smart attitude. I'm upset at DriveThru thinking this is a wonderful deal. I am seriously considering taking the D66 Compendium 2 down and walking away from Traveller because of all this. It has been a massively stressful 36 hours.

So if you are thinking of downloading the D66 Compendium 2, grab it now.

Dale and I are largely on the same page here. Luckily, I had already intended to do an OGL line and a 2e line of our Clement Sector products. After reading the legal requirements of posting on TAS (which is the only place where it is permissible to sell 2e products, BTW), I've decided to hold off on any 2e Clement Sector products.

It's rare that I am this angry over a 36 hour period.

Gypsy Knights Games: Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Baron

Visit Gypsy Knights Games's Blog
Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++Gypsy Knights Games Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
50%?

Is that true?

You're joking, right?
No. No, we are not.

Gypsy Knights Games: Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Quote:
Once you activate your Community Content Creators Program title for public sale, your account will begin to accrue a 50% royalty every time your title sells.
Why? I don't understand. After all this time, after all these years, just when I'm ready to post my adventures, someone does this?
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

John and Dale,

I'm asking as a curious bystander:

What was the model/rate before?
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

OGL.