Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old June 1st, 2016, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Follow my link regarding The Campaign for North Africa.

That game takes an estimated fifty days to complete with 8 to 10 players on a side. That's "fun" in the same manner using a cheese grater on your inner thighs is "fun".
Let's see, my current D&D adventure (running the hardcover of Out of the Abyss) has been running 29 sessions, and the campaign (such as it is) 50 sessions, with 7 players. It's the same kind and level of commitment.

I know one fellow who hosted an F&E campaign that played every battle out in SFB... took them about 3 years to make it through Y175 (the war was essentially playing in half-time... it starts in about Y168...)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

To simplify this monstrosity (moving away from a FFW type game):
A.Up the scale - you go to subsector level and your map is reduced to give or take 31x16 (496 yea not exact, sue me) subsectors/hexes/map spaces + for the additional Aslan/Solomani/Vargr sectors if your game is to include them. The Rebellion did not have the Zhos or Hivers much involved so make them impassable subsectors. Same with Gateway and the Kkree to Trailing.

B.Remove/reduce the fog of war - it was mentioned to make the turns 2 years. Sounds about right. Make rules on fleets moving slowly (zones of control and all that stuff) to explain why a faction can see the rest of the board (J6 couriers, TAS news, whatever), but cannot move combat fleets just anywhere.
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:00 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

A wargame of it would almost NEED to be computer moderated to account for the comm lag...
Or a referee...

we have played FFW with three maps and a referee
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:25 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Vland and Daibei could be shared victory with each other - just by continuing to exist.. Getting readmitted to a stable imperium as an autonomous zone would be equally a win for them.

Note that Economically, tho', Vland effectively loses if its 3 biggies (Sharushid, Makidhadrun, Nasiraaka) lose access to imperial markets.
Not only Vland and Daibei. See that in my Rebellion game suggestion victory conditions this is specified:

Quote:
At any point, several players may declare joint victory if they fulfill the conditions, unless among them there’s more than one of Lucan, Dulinor and Margaret or Strephon (those latter two may be in the winning alliance, as I believe they could came to terms if among them they controlled the Imperium).

For the Solomani to be part of the wining alliance, he must control at least all the Solomani Sphere subsectors.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:51 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I wonder if adapting Twilight Imperium may work...
Old June 11th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I wonder if adapting Twilight Imperium may work...
Twilight Imperium is a great suggestion, Mike. Cosmic Encounter is another as are the various titles in GMT's COIN series.
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:01 PM

The Oz Citizen

I see a "Rebellion" game as more like a Traveller version of "Diplomacy". Several factions, ordering simultaneous moves into 'occupied' and 'unoccupied' sectors, with a limited number of units to move. You could adjust the classic "Diplomacy" units of 'armies' and 'fleets' to give more of a Traveller feel, and perhaps give each faction some special power to employ every now and them.

With such a system, you could keep your scale at the sector level. Focus on the dealing and backstabbing, not the terrain or technology.
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:56 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Some thoughts about a multi-player Rebellion game:
  • It's not a 4X design - There's no Exploration or Expansion into undeveloped regions. Exploitation will be hard because conquest by force will often destroy the very "sinews of war" you hope to seize. As for Extermination, how many of the Rebellion's factions were actually destroyed prior to Virus being released? Even the Real/real Strephon, who had basically given up, still controlled some territory when Virus arrived. Reducing another faction to irrelevance will occur well before they're exterminated, so no one will waste the resources necessary for extermination.
  • Resources dwindle over time - Resources, revenues, and force levels are at their highest when the game begins and then trail off just as occurred "historically". The strain of multi-front wars damages economies, regions acquired by military conquest are heavily damaged by that fighting, and large numbers of fleets take years if not decades to build. This isn't Risk. Region and the revenues they produce rarely pass bloodlessly and without damage between owners.
  • Lucan isn't a player faction - Instead, Lucan is the game system all the players are competing against. With Lucan "controlled" by the game, no one can truly ally with him just as occurred in the "historical" Rebellion. With Lucan "controlled" by the game, his offensives, ceasefires, and diplomatic/trade efforts are just as haphazard and irrational as they were in "history". Most importantly, with Lucan "controlled" by the game, no player will control Virus.
  • Virus isn't a given - With Virus controlled by the system, it's existence can be uncertain. In "history", none of the factions knew what Virus would do even if they knoew about Virus in the first place. That meant they acted without the fear such a slate-wiper would bring. If Virus is known to exist in the game or if Lucan was a player faction, no one will pressure Lucan too much lest he release it and ensure everyone loses. If Virus remains only a possibility, players will take calculated chances vis-a-vis the game-controlled Lucan faction.
  • Strephon isn't a faction - Whether he is Real or real, Strephon isn't player faction. He's too small along with being "between" two of the bigger player factions and the game system. Instead, Strephon is an "event" card. He and his initial region become part of the game when some player holds the proper card and see an advantage in playing it. Offensives by Strephon are then triggered and directed by additional card play.
  • The Marches - Have no presence in the game beyond, perhaps, an Arrival Vengeance event card which confers some sort of benefit and/or penalty.
  • Vargr - They can be modeled by both requirements and event cards. Vland, for example, must maintain certain force levels along her spinward, coreward, and trailing borders or else risk penalties. A player could use a Lishun Invasion card to divert one of Lucan's offensives into that sector against the Vargr and away from themselves.
  • Aslan - While the Yerlyaruiwo Clan reportedly sent assassins after Dulinor until Virus ended interstellar travel, those assassins never seem to have been anything to worry about. Perhaps the Aslan should be limited to a one-time event card which forces the Dulinor player to expend resources modeling narrowly averted assassination attempt and subsequent disorder?

Just mulling things over in a very general way.
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:16 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

You need to represent thousands of ships. The fleets assembled by Lucan and Dulinor are enormous. The battles are poorly detailed so it would require inventing battles. You'll need to operate on the Grand Fleet level.

Some of the described actions are purely nuts (Dulinor attacks Fornast, for example). I went through for MTU and stripped them down to 3 adversaries each (except Lucan).
Also, war expansion probably would've occured to include. Aslan are not going to kick back and watch the Solomani take everything.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

ldadams122000 Citizen

When I get some free time, I am going to look at using "Victory By Any Means Campaign Guide" to play out the Rebellion.