Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Rare Earths and Interstellar High Tech

Rare Earth Elements. A series of metals which are vital to sustaining interstellar technologies. After being mined, they are separated from one another and processed to the degree of purity that takes their intended end use into consideration. The complex combination of mineral resources, extraction and refining process, and worker skill is what makes them "rare."

Another challenge to the rare earths business is the supply chain. Rare earths feed the interstellar high tech industry, and supply chains from mine to manufacturer can include as many as 12 jumps along the way. So, for example, if you were to follow the dozen or so different rare earths metals that are in each PowerPlant or Jump Drive all the way back to the mine, you'd have an extremely hard time doing so. These lengthy supply chains get very complicated very quickly.

Tools Link

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.