Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old September 9th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Plankwell and Kokirrak

Goal

I've gone thru this before, but I'm going to look at the entries in Supplement 9 and try to pinpoint exactly what makes a Plankwell, a Plankwell, and what makes a Kokirrak, a Kokirrak, and how you can tell one from the other.

Assumption

Supplement 9 is useful for extracting the intent of the ship designs, even though encountered ships of these classes may vary from the text.

Similarities

They're both 200 kt, TL 15, Model/9fib, typically no troops, no fighter wings, same nuclear damper, same meson spine, similar enough secondary weaponry (you could pretty nearly swap their loadouts around without fundamentally changing the ships).

While their armor factors are different (10 for Plankwell, 12 for Kokirrak), I am yet unconvinced that this is a defining difference between the two classes, and am tempted to state that they are both armored to essentially the same level (even though in High Guard, AV 12 is distinctly better than AV 10). I would like to assume that Imperial dreadnoughts are able to take more damage than they dish out.

Differences

Thus, ignoring cost, I am left with these primary differentiators:

Plankwell: J4, 5G, P8, Modular Construction. Screen Factor 3. 1200 Crew.

Kokirrak: J3, 6G, P10. Screen Factor 8. 1600 Crew. Black Globe (half of them).

It seems that the key difference is performance, with defenses negatively affected by jump rating. Therefore there do seem to be two basic types of dreadnought, just like there are two types of cruiser: strategically fast, or tactically fast.

The Essential TL 15 Imperial Dreadnought

A restatement of what I think the essential TL15 Imperial dreadnought doctrine is:
  • J4 M5 -or- J3 M6
  • Best possible computer
  • Best nuclear damper and screens
  • Most effective meson spine
  • Best possible armor
  • Plenty of secondary weaponry and defenses.
It may or may not have other features (like troops and fighters, black globes, modular construction, and whatnot), but it must have the above.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; September 9th, 2014 at 11:30 PM..

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.