Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old October 25th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Murphy Citizen+Murphy Citizen+
Default Do you employ "persistent world" philosophy in your games?

I'm a big fan of making connections between different campaigns I run.

When I did a mercenary campaign, I wrote down all NPC names, including all members of the unit, and casualties.

When we generated crew for our TTA campaign, it turned out that our NPC engineer had the same last name as one of the guys killed in the first game. This gave me an idea, I decided that the two were brothers. When time was due, the engineer got a letter about his younger brother's death and had to take an extended leave to attend to the family, forcing the crew to look for a new engineer, which became a quest in itself ('cause the NPC guy was very skilled and hard to replace).

If I run two campaigns intermittently, they often tend to influence one another like that for no reason other than to underline the universe's cohesion. Sometimes it's just something mentioned on the news that the players can recognize due to having played in the other campaign. Sometimes it's an NPC appearing in both games.

So far we have run our merc campaign, went halfway through TTA, tried a post-apocalyptic planet-confined game in the Egyrn subsector and now going through Beltstrike.

And I still dream of the day we start Secrets of the Ancients. Damn, that's my dream campaign...

But I digress. Share your persistent universe examples! Ever had your players trigger a "butterfly effect" then experience its consequences as another characters in another campaign?

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.