Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
nats Citizen
Default The problem with Mongoose Traveller?

Well it seems to me looking at the current list of publications being developed for MgT that MgT is becoming a game designed by fans. Many of the fans seem to be writing MgT books. Is this a bad thing?

Well I think it is. There seems to be no overall combining influence in the material at all. Some of the writers are very good and know their traveller, but others are writing generalised scifi with little or no thought of what Traveller really means.

Classic Traveller you had a small group of writers and a couple of artists who worked on all the books and adventures, they knew what Traveller meant to them and the who process resulted in a neat and conherent approach.

We dont seem to be seeing that from MgT. Some of the books have been very good - Core Book, Spinward Marches, perhaps some of the alien books. But some of the products have been attocious from a Traveller based perspective - particularly books like Mercenary, first Patrons book, Animals, Spinward Encounters, the Campaign Guide, Dynasty - these books show very little reference to what Traveller is all about at all. Sometimes I wonder if many of the authors have even read a Traveller book before writing their versions.

Although considering we have little other choice at the moment than to bear with MgT I wonder what the future will hold. Is Mgt going to start getting better? I mean if they acant even get the ATV correct in their recent revised massive vehicle book what hope is there?
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Nerhesi Citizen
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post

Although considering we have little other choice at the moment than to bear with MgT I wonder what the future will hold. Is Mgt going to start getting better? I mean if they acant even get the ATV correct in their recent revised massive vehicle book what hope is there?
Jesus they can't get the ATV correct! What hope is there?!?

As with every the vast majority of successful RPGs out there, the writers are as you said, good and bad. They vary. This is normal.

Simply use the material you like and dont use the material you dislike.
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

I assume you are just referring to the core books done by Mongoose, yes?

I think that many of the supplements are fairly decent to very good that I have seen (note: I have not looked at all of them)

As for only seeing MgT material, that is a licensing issue as MgT is open where the others are not.

Dave Chase
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:
Well it seems to me looking at the current list of publications being developed for MgT that MgT is becoming a game designed by fans. Many of the fans seem to be writing MgT books. Is this a bad thing?
It could be. But as long as they write well and give their own spin to a setting or race or equipment list without breaking already established Traveller lore/history, it shouldn't matter who writes the books.
Quote:
Well I think it is. There seems to be no overall combining influence in the material at all. Some of the writers are very good and know their traveller, but others are writing generalised scifi with little or no thought of what Traveller really means.
True. Mongoose Traveller can also be used to role-play other sci-fi settings besides the 3rd Imperium. The Campaign Guide is written for gamers interested in creating their own sci-fi settings. Some of the careers stray off the old Classic Traveller path, so they are not so 1-dimensional as before.
Quote:
Classic Traveller you had a small group of writers and a couple of artists who worked on all the books and adventures, they knew what Traveller meant to them and the who process resulted in a neat and conherent approach.
That was GDW for the most part. Traveller is licensed to Mongoose. They could have chose to just reprint the old Clasic Traveller with revised rules, or they could have chose to do a reboot of it.
Quote:
We dont seem to be seeing that from MgT. Some of the books have been very good - Core Book, Spinward Marches, perhaps some of the alien books. But some of the products have been attocious from a Traveller based perspective - particularly books like Mercenary, first Patrons book, Animals, Spinward Encounters, the Campaign Guide, Dynasty - these books show very little reference to what Traveller is all about at all. Sometimes I wonder if many of the authors have even read a Traveller book before writing their versions.
Mongoose is not GDW, Imperium Games, or FFE. But if you can write well, and have great Traveller things to write about for MgT, talk to Matt to see if you can help counter-act the problem you see happening.
Quote:
I mean if they acant even get the ATV correct in their recent revised massive vehicle book what hope is there?
What happened with the ATV? Did they release errata for it?
Old September 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I for the most part like the material. As a rule system it is not sufficiently coherent like characters vs vehicles vs starships vs polities, very true. But at least the systems are not so complex compared to other versions that an "average" person cannot get involved and play. Which is the most important thing.

I would counter that I do not think that it is the intent of Mongoose to simply stay in the confines of the OTU or 2300. That is obvious in the branding of material being stated for one campaign or another, or just the black book look for "generic" material.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM

nats Citizen

Well I must admit I am very excited about the future of MgT books now that I hear Merc v2 and World Builder handbook are in the works. If thwey could only do some great adventures .. anyway I think T5 has come and gone afaiac, and I am pretty much set for playing MgT for a long time to come (a few books still to get). Now that they seem to be doing better stuff I dont mind MgT really. I was just reading MgT Scouts properly the other day and I have to say I was really impressed with it. Its a really good book.

If you get over all the myriad of rules and ideas and thoughts in the MgT books that makes most of them impossible to use around the table, and instead see them just as providing source material for designing games and providing ideas, most of them are really good books for that. I cant possibly remember it all, but somewhere sometime I am sure a lot of it will be really useful in designing a game at some point! It is a matter of picking and choosing what to use as well, and considering I often play games in my own designed sectors anyway it is hardly fair to complain that MgT doesnt concentrate solely on the 3rd Imperium.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:57 AM

PinkSplice Citizen

A second edition of the core book would not be a bad idea, either.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

MgT did a great job of rebooting Traveller. However, they have always indicated that it was to be a frame for a generic sci-fi game system. I agree with the notion that many of the books stray far afield but that's okay. As noted above, the system is supposed to support a wide range of material.

Unfortunately for Mongoose, the quality is hit-and-miss. Some of the core books really suffer from poor implementation, lack of creativity/depth, and simple mechanical coherence. I've heard a number of reasons... from brutal deadlines to just lack of submissions. The one I've heard a few times is the combination... a rush to publish everything possible while the license is active coupled with poor quality control.

I stopped buying the books due to a lack of quality not frame of reference. The bait-switch pulled on the original vehicle books, and the poor quality of books that followed after... that's the reason I decided to stop buying the books.

(Although I was recently encouraged to buy Merchant Prince... that was pretty neat. It fixed nothing in the mercantile section, in fact, made it worse since it's impossible to NOT make a profit now. But the rest of it was fairly cool.)
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSplice View Post
A second edition of the core book would not be a bad idea, either.
Seconded. I've got my list... I'm sure everybody else has their own lists... for every rule there is one satisfied player and one unsatisfied player
Tools Link
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:01 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Heaven forbid the game was written by people for whom it was just a job.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)