Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
That is exactly what Paul is supposed to be. The irony is that Paul is NOT the main character of the series.

Major Spoiler...
Spoiler:
Duncan Idaho is the Kwizatz Haderach and the actual main character of the series.

Reread it knowing that, and it takes on a different view of the setting and the first 3 novels.
I figure that it is not worth my time. The first book was acceptable when I read it back as a teen, in monthly chunks, in Analog. As for it being the best-selling science fiction novel of all time, in the words of Captain James T. Kirk:

Quote:
Capt. Kirk: . . . Well, there's no accounting for taste.
Edit Note: "Dune" was one of those books that I never really developed any liking for any of the characters in it. Not quite as bad as Julian May's Pliocene series, where after buying and reading them, I promptly sold them off. Most of the characters in there I positively disliked, without liking one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by timerover51; February 26th, 2015 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Added Comment
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

I found the Galactic Milieu books to be better.
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 11
Enoff Citizen

What I like about Dune is its implied depth of history much like the Lord of the Rings. I was reading (wiki):
Quote:
Herbert spent the next five years researching, writing, and revising a literary work that was eventually serialized in Analog magazine from 1963 to 1965 as two shorter works, Dune World and The Prophet of Dune.
Which Timerover was lucky to read, I was born in '64, so missed that. And thanks for the spoiler Aramis! I didn't know that! But thinking about characters, I guess the characters aren't important as the underlying philosophy of life that I see Herbert trying to grasp with his novel. To me the first appendix "The Ecology of Dune" might be the most important part with the second appendix "The Religion of Dune" a close entwining second.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

I really liked Dune, but I got disappointed when I found out that the story is pretty close to the synopsis of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

Quote:
Ali Baba, son of the Kalif of Bagdad is brought up by the 40 Thieves after his father is killed by the soldiers of Hugalu Khan, who received the necessary information by traitor Cassim. Ali becomes the leader of the thieves and they are fighting for the freedom of his land.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

The proposed film in the doc looks like it'd make for a good CGI toon.

Not to get too off topic, but in my forty plus years of reading the genre, I find that good sci-fi is a rarity. Alan Dean Foster, Christopher Stasheff, our own Keith brothers, Asimov, Bradbury, and a handful of others are all masters of the genre. Other authors tend to waddle through it some. Sometimes you find a gem. Not always.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM

Enoff Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
I really liked Dune, but I got disappointed when I found out that the story is pretty close to the synopsis of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.
Its makes me think more of the 8th century when the Arabs erupted from the desert to fight the Parthian and Roman (Byzantine) empires. I've always wanted to read "The Arabian Nights" those stories are archetypal. I love listening to Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's Op. 35 Scheherazade!
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoff View Post
I've always wanted to read "The Arabian Nights" those stories are archetypal.
And likely to vanish from the literature of the West, given how things are going. That said, I had great fun reading them years ago, picking out the popularized bits as I went. Seeing how scrambled the voyages of Sinbad were was interesting.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:17 PM

Enoff Citizen

Watching Jodorowsky's Dune, to quote Spock "Fascinating!"

Wild to look at the conception art by Jean Giraud

Maybe he should have tried doing an animated film? Like Wizards
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Again, a Spock quote; "I believe I said that, doctor."
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:27 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Those look nothing like anything described in the book.

Just started reading it again last night

Suspensor glow globe lighting, suspensor variform chairs, pain box (nerve induction)