Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
Thanos Citizen
Default Newbie Questions

I've heard about Traveler for ever and have looked over various rule books over the years. I'm ready to take the plunge. Ive picked the Mongoose edition as its currently being published and supported.

So besides the core rule book what other two books should I get?

Back in the day there used to be a poster (?) of the Imperium. Is that still around?

Should I purchase direct from Mongoose or try E-bay?
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

nats Citizen

I asked the same question recently being sort of in the same situation as yourself. It seems the only book you need is actually the core rulebook although the Spinward Marches sourcebook is a very good second book to get for it covers all the planets you may wish to travel to, its useful for picking homeworlds during character generation, and it also provides some good plot suggestions and background into the Traveller universe that is only touched on in the rulebook (which is quite generic).

Other good books are Mercenary and High Guard which enhance personal/large scale combat and large ship combat respectively.

Finally purely ancillary books depend on what you are interested in but I would say the Vehicle Design Book (wait for the new combination one due out soon, not the two old ones which are bust supposedly), 760 Patrons (get the 2nd edition not the first one), 1001 Characters, and The Central Supply Catalogue are all useful additions to any collection for enhancing overall play (althouigh CSC has issues that conflict a lot with the core rule book its worth the effort of syncornising the two because the variety of equipment in CSC is great - and it reintroduces my favourite weapon of all time - the submachine gun!). Starports looks quite interesting as well if only for flavour when the characters are messing around outside the missions.

These are the ones I will be getting myself I think. I have had a look at the other books - Scouts, Merchant Prince, Dillettant, Agent, Scoundrel, Psion and the like and they all enhance small areas of the game whilst not providing too many new rules so its arguable whether these ones are a good buy or not, the chargen in each is good though.

Robots and Animal Encounters both have design issues I believe, which is a great shame because I would love to design a good robot or two for my games - I may still get it for that. Cybernetics looks quite interesting if you are into that kind of thing (not my cup of tea at the moment).

Last edited by nats; September 26th, 2011 at 05:33 AM..
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Mercenary has some really STUPID errors in the mass combat rules. It's NOT worth it for those. (The kind of errors that have many vets laughing openly at the designer's lack of knowledge, lack of research, and lack of common sense.)

High Guard is much more useful, even if one completely ignore the large ship rules (which are about the worst large ship rules of any edition).

A vehicles book is useful, the rest can be safely ignored for the most part.

You can't go wrong with Spica's Career Books Vol 1 & 2...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:27 AM

nats Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Mercenary has some really STUPID errors in the mass combat rules. It's NOT worth it for those. (The kind of errors that have many vets laughing openly at the designer's lack of knowledge, lack of research, and lack of common sense.)

High Guard is much more useful, even if one completely ignore the large ship rules (which are about the worst large ship rules of any edition).
Why do you feel this? I never played any mass engagements as they seemed a bit simplistic for any kind of solo player enjoyment but why are they broken - I didn't know that they were so bad. I never got around to playing any large scale conflicts with them but they look better than CT rules at least - more interesting role playing (orders and the like) and more variety of weapons etc. The CT rules were very stale I felt - I tried a HG combat with those and didnt want to try another one afterwards.

Mind you I did play a CT Book 2 vector ship combat with a couple of ships and a few asteroids etc and that was great fun though not easy to fit it on a table (and obviously not realistic - more Star Wars asteroids than the asteroids we know exist) - you have to keep moving the ships back to the start of the table. Or you can keep one static and just change the other ship to reflect its movement with respect to the static one - and move the other objects such as the asteroids past the static ship to represent its movement - that works very well but is a little complex to figure out especially when the asteroids have their own individual vectors as well - thats when the piloting starts getting challenging though. And MgT High Guard introduces this vector combat (admittedly in a very limited form).

I must admit I was looking forward to actually trying some personal ground and ship combat with the advanced MGT rules once I get these two books again - until you mentioned this!

Last edited by nats; September 26th, 2011 at 05:40 AM..
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen

Are the Mongoose editions like the LBBs or are They full sized? Should I get the books or would pdf, say from Drivethru be fine?
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Are the Mongoose editions like the LBBs or are They full sized? Should I get the books or would pdf, say from Drivethru be fine?
There are both small and large editions of many... They issue 8x11 first, then later a "LBB" sized version.

The PDF's are acceptable quality for most of the items, but the ship deckplans are included at low resolutions, and as raster images rather than vector, so blowups look horrid... and many are so small that they are unreadable in the PDF. The Traders and Gunboats supplement PDF was absolutely wasted money - it's worthless.

As for Mercenary...

Some old threads make the case pretty damned well.
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ight=Mercenary

And that's before the open ridicule on the mongoose boards that Mongoose very quickly locked, deleted, and generally kept suppressed.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM

nats Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
As for Mercenary...

Some old threads make the case pretty damned well.
Ah yes I remember reading those now. Yeah it's annoying that Mongoose can't seem to release a solid supplement. Animal Encounters for example (a very recent supplement so they STILL haven't learnt) - creating animals without any speeds and no larger than elephants! That is just ridiculous for alien lifeforms.

I so want this MgT stuff to be worth buying to replace my old CT - but the only things really worth getting are actually the Core Book and Spinward Marches. What a shame.
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
Ah yes I remember reading those now. Yeah it's annoying that Mongoose can't seem to release a solid supplement. Animal Encounters for example (a very recent supplement so they STILL haven't learnt) - creating animals without any speeds and no larger than elephants! That is just ridiculous for alien lifeforms.

I so want this MgT stuff to be worth buying to replace my old CT - but the only things really worth getting are actually the Core Book and Spinward Marches. What a shame.
MGT High Guard is pretty useful. Even if one doesn't use the big ships, it adds a LOT to the core ship designs.

Oh, and the Psionics book is useful,too... for non-canon campaigns, that is. The Mind Ships rules are particularly fun.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene

Last edited by aramis; September 26th, 2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton
Cool

Thanos

Give MgT a chance. Look it over for yourself. I myself own all but Azinti High Lightning for the CT run, most of the MT run, a solid chunk of both TNE and T20, lots from T4 and the T5 disc. I even own the GURPS Traveller books.

Me, I happen to like MgT, and would say that like a lot of the other runs, each book is its own mixed bag of good and bad. In the MgT books however, each one gives non 3I stuff that you can choose, or choose not to add to your games. Unlike any edition other than CT77(my copys), MgT is the only run tof Traveller hat gives you OPTIONS for building your own setting, as well as running "Cannon" games. And as for a lot of the complaints, Mongoose is re-writing the books that almost everyone had complaints about, and they have to run em by Mark Miller himself now as well. So their quality is improving by leaps and bounds.

MgT also lets you play things like Judge Dredd, Strontium Dogs, Hammers Slammers, Cthothnian Stars, Babalon 5, and Reign of Discordia, all without having to buy anything other than the core rules and a setting book. Heck, you could even mix em all up if you wanted to.

Look the books over, and make up your own mind. Dont let others opinions influence you. You might find that MgT is worth having.

~Rich

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E

Last edited by Cryton; September 26th, 2011 at 09:27 PM..
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen

A lot to think over. Unfortunately I have no FLGS to peruse the books before purchase. Reading every one's answers here and skimming the forums leads me to think that the core book is well done but that all else is meh to bad. How compatible is MGT to CT?