Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 0
DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome
Default Book 2 Crew Requirements

We know that Book 2 gets very fuzzy on ship crew requirements above 1000 tons.

Can we define any rules from looking at the published crew requirements? That's a dangerous area, but I don't know of any published Book 2-style designs which use the Book 2 crew rules for over 1000-ton sized ships.

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Can we define any rules from looking at the published crew requirements? That's a dangerous area, but I don't know of any published Book 2-style designs which use the Book 2 crew rules for over 1000-ton sized ships.
There are four in The Traveller Adventure (plus two 1000-tonners). See p. 138-140.

EDIT: which I see from other threads that you already know.

Hans
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
We know that Book 2 gets very fuzzy on ship crew requirements above 1000 tons.

Just for clarification, you would be looking for published Classic Traveller ship designs over 1000 dTons made with LBB2 and not using High Guard?
After the publication of High Guard, would that not be a design error?
"If the ship is 1,000 tons or under, then the rules stated in Book 2 should be followed. For ships over 1,000 tons, the rules given below govern." [HG, p.32]

After looking at a lot of published designs, I have concluded that a very good rule-of-thumb is 1 crewmember per 100 dT of ship as a minimum crew size. Most ships with more crew than this tend to have 'specialized passengers' - like Marines, or Fighter Pilots or Stewards - not essential to the operation of the actual ship.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Actually, given that there are Book 2 designs published AFTER High Guard 80 was published, trying to get Book 2 to stand on its own isn't a design error.

Specifically, I'm looking at the following designs and trying to see if we can identify what rules GDW used for crew:

The Traveller Adventure: Tukera Long-Liner (type RT), Tukera Freighter (type AT), Imperiallines Frontier Transport (types TI/TJ), Akerut Hercules (type AH).

Alien Module 4 - Zhodani: Zhodani Council Cruiser (type ZF).

Are there any other "over 1000 tons, designed by Book 2" GDW-published designs out there?

All of these are over 1000 tons in size, so they should all use the "large crews" rules, but they really do not.

Old August 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Mining Platform, in Beltstrike (1984):
Quote:
Mining Platform nype US): using a 5000-ton hull , the mining platform is a non-starship intended for resource exploitation operations.
It has no jump drive, but mounts maneuver drive-W and power plant-W, giving a performance of 1-G acceleration. Fuel tankage of 1700 tons supports prolonged independent operations by the ship and its support vessels and vehicles. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer Model/5. There are 175 staterooms and no low berths. The ship has 50 hardpoints, and mounts 50 single turrets fitted with pulse lasers used for mining; 50 tons are allocated for fire control.
There are fourteen ship's vehicles: one shuttle, one launch, two pinnaces, and ten prospecting buggies. Up to ten 100-ton seekers can also be accommodated on board. Cargo capacity is 30 tons, A 25-ton massdriver system and a 400 ton processing bay are also installed. The hull is unstreamlined.
The mining platform requires a crew of seven for interplanetary travel (pilot, navigator, three engineers, two medics): it also carries ten administrative and management personnel, and 132 workers, technicians, boat crewmen, and others. Quarters for 175 are provided, allowing 36 passengers (crewmen from the seekers, company officials, etc,). The ship does not engage in commercial passenger service. The mining platform costs MCr1330.7 [including the 1 % naval architect's fee, but not including costs for ten seekers, which are optional) and takes 36 months to build.
Mining platforms are transported from one system to another in bulk carriers. Once they arrive in a system, they usually remain there for the rest of their useful service life, and are eventually sold to interested parties or broken up for spares and scrap.
(Note that the OCR was atrocious on the CD... it took about half as long to correct the OCR errors as retyping it would have taken.)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Oh, crud... I just realized: ANOTHER "Hidden" design component (Like capture tanks and labs)... 25T massdriver and 400T processing bay.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Absent Friend

More fun for us!

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

How about the Leviathan-class Merchant Cruisers? Yes, HG2e stats are provided, and so's 1e... and other ships which are mentioned in Library Data are HG2e...

...but the drives in the leading specifications for the MC use disguised names that clearly are Book 2.

1800 tons (so in Book 2 parlance it's treated as 2000t); with a whopping crew of 56, it appears that Book 2 crew rules were taken seriously.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; August 25th, 2010 at 12:35 AM..
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Vargas Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
1800 tons (so in Book 2 parlance it's treated as 2000t); with a whopping crew of 56, it appears that Book 2 crew rules were taken seriously.
Maybe part of that was the fact that the ship is meant to operate beyond "civilization", so it carries extra personnel intentionally?