Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 8
Easterner9504 Citizen

I did too. I also thought fact two of piracy options are identical in function just to make 3 categories was stupid in SCOUNDREL which is book where the slavers should have been. And that Scavengers should have been Merchant option, salvage is not criminal, neither is Barbarian also stuck in SCOUNDREL.

But they may have been written too far apart or suffered all too usual Mongoose too loose standards. i.e. how about detailed index of contents.
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't slavery the one thing the 3I has outlawed, more or less?
I don't own, not have read Merchant Prince, but I agree with some of the answers that MGT is not so OTU oriented as this to be a problem (there can be many universes where slavery is not illegal).

Anyway, to answer your question (about OTU 3I):

From JTAS 14 (Laws and Lawbreakers), Page 20 (High Justice).

Quote:
The prosecutors of high courts of the Imperium concern themselves with crimes that would affect worlds in more than one subsector. These include the capture, transportation and possesion of slaves...
(emphasis is mine)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM

Easterner9504 Citizen

Good catch!

Squirm

And you misspelled WHICH in your signature.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner9504 View Post
Good catch!

Squirm

And you misspelled WHICH in your signature.
TY. Fixed now.

That's the problem when you trust correction to a machine. Maybe those solomani fanatics from SSMM are right...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner9504 View Post
Mongoose products are not TRAVELLER in the strictest sense unless marked THIRD IMPERIUM. TRAV players frequently blast them over odd inclusions but they're aimed at Bab 5, Hammers Slammers, Judge Dredd, Beyond the Veil, Chtonian Stars etc. and Mongoose sees TRAV as their GURPS which ironically is how GDW designed it before creating 3I background. Slave traders can exist in TRAV universe but will be outside Imperium in general.
That's fair enough, but in that case THIRD IMPERIUM material (and Bab5, HS, JD, BtV, CS, etc. material) ought to include sections that set out which MGT rules that apply and which don't apply, e.g. "The Slaver career is not available to characters from the Imperium".

Alternatively, or even in addition to that, MGT rules might have sections pointing out which rules apply to Traveller universes and which don't (Traveller being, after all, the flagship of the line (or so I assume?)). "Only jump drives up to J6 are available in straight Traveller universes"[*].
[*] Of course, being generic, MGT rules include higher jump drives than J6, right? And contrariwise, the basic rules don't include anything that is TU specific, like distinctive alien races and suchlike, right? Being as they are SO generic.

Hans
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM

Easterner9504 Citizen

Yeah Hans you nailed it. Except for those pesky Fission Plants, Hyperspace Drives, Teleport Drives and Warp Drives on Core Rule book page 109. Or maybe those do it yourself Aliens on Pg 41. Or the augments or robots. So yes 99% of Core rules is aimed at Classic Traveller 3I. A pity this thread is titled MERCHANT PRINCE. My comment referred to supplemental products not labeled THIRD IMPERIUM. My error for being unclear.

And yes the non "Traveller" stuff should be so marked like the over TL-15 products in Central Supply Catalog for example.