Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Well I thought the DGP Alien Modules had excellent art. Doesn't come much better than Blair Reynolds, Mike Vilardi, William Jordan and Tom Peters.
Rats & Cats and Wogs & Dogs have some of the best rpg art ever. A company would be hard-pressed to do better. I find the MGT art to be hit and miss, with the original core book more miss and the pocket edition more hit. If Hammer's Slammers was on a par with, lets say the 2300AD Ground Vehicle Guide, I would pick it up without blinking. As it is, it doesn't spur me to make a purchase. But that's me. I'm a fairly picky gamer as far as art expectations are concerned.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

As the resident pain in the arts here at the COTI. I actually like Mongoose Traveller art. Some of it is bad, first edition Droyne was better than the Second/Pocket edition but what I see is a constant improvement in quality. So, yes, in the main book the Aslan looked terrible but they looked fantastic by the time it had matured into the Aslan alien module.

Traveller, unlike, Conan does not have a certain look (usually associated with Boris Vallejo or Frank Frazetta type look) that has defined it other than the proliferic Keith drawings. And, I like Liz Danforth stuff in CT, as I think that Blair Reynolds had a knack for getting things right in MT. Things matured a bit in TNE but it largely continued what was in MT. T4 & T20 saw the rise of Gibson which is nice in small doses but they all tend to look the same after a while - even if the concepts illustrated are great. GT like all GURPS products is a mixed bag...Jessie did some nice ships but the people until you added colour to them (as in Interstellar Wars) have a pastercine/play dough look about them. If GURPS could be faulted it is that they never went back to the source material.

Now, MgT comes along and is consciously trying to create a Traveller look (yes, in part to sell mininatures & to commission/continue 2000AD line) but it has has also set a higher standard by looking for constant improvement.

There is actually a thread which has died down on Mongoose board that you should contribute to S4 called Colin's Inspirational Traveller Art. This way give the art director some guidance in the art you want to see.

For me the criteria of a SFRPG is always create a sense of wonder and to be realistic. 8/10 Mongoose Traveller does that. That is better batting average than GT, T4 and T20 which I would rate much lower.

The problem with rating MT and CT is that essentially you are rating a small number of pieces or the Keith works. And, as much many of the Keith works still stand up (eg K'kree) we need to find ways to surpass it and bring in a visually impressive product. And, I agree that it would be nice, if it could be as nice as Conan but maybe that is MgT MegaTraveller will be all about...

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM

Gallery : 0
mbrinkhues Citizen

One big issue I have are the "ships" pictures in MgT (not the deckplans, that's another issue(1)) The quality of the rendering is very low quality in most pictures and fails to please the eye. A problem with elder Mongoose (pre-Traveller) works in SciFi like Babylon5 where the Mongoose add-ons never hit (The original ships where great) Back then the craft where to "cartoony" and now they look like the artist had a fabel for spiked leather and body piercings.

(1) The plans range from "useful once you scan them and replace the drohne areas with something useful" to "why the hell do I need 10+ pages of deckplans for a Tigress" but all are well done quality wise
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwardpirate View Post
Rats & Cats and Wogs & Dogs have some of the best rpg art ever. A company would be hard-pressed to do better. I find the MGT art to be hit and miss, with the original core book more miss and the pocket edition more hit. If Hammer's Slammers was on a par with, lets say the 2300AD Ground Vehicle Guide, I would pick it up without blinking. As it is, it doesn't spur me to make a purchase. But that's me. I'm a fairly picky gamer as far as art expectations are concerned.
The Slammers book has the best set of artworks in the line IMHO. They obviously used earlier pictures (like the Novel covers) for inspiration and at least looked at the wargame that was/is out there. One can argue the looks of some characters (My Impression of von Steuben does not match his picture) but the art is consistent and above average. A bit less technical and more cartoony the the 2300AD stuff but not too much.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

PathfinderAP Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
we'd have a lot of happy Traveller players out here.
Thats true,

I'm looking at the front cover of the Mongoose Oct-Nov catalogue, its a picture of a Vargr, and its rather cool, I like it,

At least this line does have some good artwork, not alot, not alot by along way, but some, now if they could only sort the wheat from the chaff
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM

spinwardpirate Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
A bit less technical and more cartoony the the 2300AD stuff but not too much.
Enough for me that it didn't meet my expectations. I want stuff that's on a level with the color plates in an Osprey Vanguard series book.

Last edited by spinwardpirate; December 2nd, 2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

On second thought, MegaTraveller was probably the best in terms of illustrations and layout quality, and the DGP stuff was, most often, out of the park. TNE started OK, and then went into a decline. (though that may be personal opinion). T4 was good, except for the ships.

I like the ship illos in MgT, and while the character illos (I have the first ed.) weren't great, they served their purpose. What bugged me were the weapon illos, and that air/raft thingie somewhere in the tech section. Nor am I a big fan of their deckplans, but I prefer a different style anyway. (Ryan Wolfe/Ki-Ryn Studios- he had tentatively agreed to do deckplans for 2320AD. Sigh)

Then again, 2300AD represents, to me, the perfect game, in terms of layout and illustration quality. Tellingly, though, I ran it with the TNE rules.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM

spinwardpirate Citizen

You mean like this?
http://ki-ryn.com/Future_Armada/Gallery.htm
Shiny!

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwardpirate View Post
"Another one of them new worlds. No beer, no women, no pool parlors, nothin'. Nothin' to do but throw rocks at tin cans, and we gotta bring our own tin cans." Cookie, Forbidden Planet
Every time I see this signature, I feel the urge to post the response that springs to my mind every time I see it. I'm finally succumbing to the temptation:

Grizzled Oldtimer: "That's nothing, kid. I've been to places so dull we had to bring our own rocks."

Hans
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

Exactly. I have all of them, save the very latest. Even his B&W deckplans are incredible.