Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old February 4th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Nurd_boy Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Nurd_boy
I'm not talking about budgets, resourses and blame...I'm talking political oportunism. It will happen, it happened with WTC, the Gulf War, Challenger, caifornias fires and the CDF loss of those planes...anytime there is a disaster....just keep watching, if not out of DC, then hollywood, or the media.....

damn ghouls...
Old February 4th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Bishop Odo Citizen
I’m sorry but ultimately the NASA's budget will be the major underlining factor in the accident, or the reason for the limited options for repair or inspection in space. Now that’s a bold statement, but if you examine the program, budget cuts, age of the vehicles, replacement programs cut, and, yes, safety programs: you will find that the budget will be a major factor in the accident. NASA, congress and the White House will never admit this because of politics and NASA will take on for the team, so to speak. Space is a hard sell to congress, because let’s face it most of their constituency are stupid. Sorry to be blunt, but science isn’t in most Americans vocabulary. Those who want to spend the money else ware are often dealing with the lowest common denominator of the American people and could care less about space.

In the last few years there have been plenty of reports about the aging fleet of shuttles. How many of the part needed to keep it flying were no longer in production, how systems that were never designed to be replaced had to be, adding to turn around time because complexity and the fact systems are buried behind replaceable components. After all, the shuttle was designed in the 1970’s using the standard technology of the day, while a more technological exotic design was scraped. Of course, that technological exotic design is commonplace now. Why didn’t NASA have an extra long boom extension or camera to inspect the titles and why doesn’t every shuttle have a docking ring? I will wait patiently for the final report and my support will not waiver, accident happen.

If there is a fallacy in my argument: It’s that even if NASA had a huge budget with backups, the Columbia accident may have still occurred. I would just like encourage everyone to keep the budgeting concerns in their mind, no mater how many sacrificial lambs NASA may offer up to the political altar of sensationalism. Most of us here are of a common ilk; we want to increases our knowledge of space and explore that frontier. I support NASA, but I understand the need consistent funding and fiscal matters can reduce options. In science and life, we can learn for our greatest triumphs and our most horrendous tragedies, but we must recognize them for what they are, in order to truly learn from them both.

http://mattersofscale.blogspot.com/
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Skylinkdave Citizen
At times like this, I find that someone else's words speak much more eloquently than anything I can offer.

Buzz Aldrin quoted this song on the news Saturday morning:

Fire In The Sky

Dave
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen
Tryin' to think of somethin' to say. Just can't. Mad at the idiots who point to this as a reason to not go into space. Suddenly I'm reminded of a lyric in _Lola rennt's_ (Run Lola Run's) soundtrack...
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Jame Citizen
Tryin' to think of somethin' to say. Just can't. Mad at the idiots who point to this as a reason to not go into space. Suddenly I'm reminded of a lyric in _Lola rennt's_ (Run Lola Run's) soundtrack...

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Old February 6th, 2003, 03:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nurd_boy Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Nurd_boy
I'll tell you all one thing...

if NASA called me and asked if I'd go on the NEXT shuttle (atlantis is next isn't it?) you know what my answer would be?...

HELL YES !!! in a heartbeat I'd go with out a second thought....

Old February 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

kewplum Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Nurd_boy:

if NASA called me and asked if I'd go on the NEXT shuttle (atlantis is next isn't it?) you know what my answer would be?...

I second the motion!
Old February 13th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

MichaelL65 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Nurd_boy:

Me too. Even if I had to walk to Florida!
Old February 15th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
It is starting to look like a combination of bureaucratic inertia and political correctness may have killed Columbia. The external tank insolation NASA has used for nearly twenty years was expanded by freon. In the last couple of years NASA has developed a new, enviromentally friendly foam without freon.

That foam has been used in the last year or so, and it has been seen peeling away on several launches. In at least one recent flight tile damage was ascribed to the foam hitting the orbiter. Yet NASA didn't even consider going back to the older, less expensive foam.

The EPA had already given NASA a waiver to use freon where necessary.

I think I got most of this from www.NASAwatch.com.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old February 16th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Jame Citizen
UncleBob, I can see your point about inertia, but by political corectness do you mean the use of freonless foam?