Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Aslan were never psionic, IIRC.

Colin,

As you can see by Mike's and Aramis' posts, the details of Aslan psionics isn't something that we need to actually recall. Instead, it's rather easily checked.

Which makes all the more sad why Mongoose couldn't be bothered to check YET AGAIN.

I'm sure we'll be reading the same old excuses soon; We've re-imagined the game and Marc personally checks/approves everything. The former is used all too often and the latter has been proven untrue with, among other things, the "Aslan are an uplifted race" comment and as recently as the Freedonian System Defense Boat thread.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Whipsnade; June 11th, 2009 at 07:51 PM..
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

Funny, I do recall psionics and the Aslan being mentioned in Rats & Cats and in the same way Mongoose uses it. Furthermore, it is how I have used IMTU. Therefore, seeing it in print makes me smile slightly. It could be that it was product of the same diseased imagination or simply a logical outgrowth or there was some small marginal reference which stuck in my head.

But, just as the Hivers were not psionic then TNE made them. If all things have to go back to CT roots then Mongoose does not stand a chance of succeeding with gognards. But, if they make an interesting case then we should accept it just as we would accept DGP or any of the other Traveller publishers that were not GDW.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka47 View Post
Funny, I do recall psionics and the Aslan being mentioned in Rats & Cats and in the same way Mongoose uses it.
Could you provide a reference, please?

Quote:
But, just as the Hivers were not psionic then TNE made them. If all things have to go back to CT roots then Mongoose does not stand a chance of succeeding with gognards. But, if they make an interesting case then we should accept it just as we would accept DGP or any of the other Traveller publishers that were not GDW.
This grognard would be satisfied if they did their homework and didn't change things unless they needed to be changed. Then I'd cheer them on when they changed things. That needed to be changed.

BTW, I don't accept everything DGP did. They made some very good stuff, but they made their share of mistakes too. Like moving Kuzu from a dozen parsecs from the nearest Hierate border to adjacent to the border (Yes, after 3,000 years in space, the acquisitive Aslans still have three neutral worlds neighboring Kuzu -- if you believe DGP).

Hans
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka47 View Post
Funny, I do recall psionics and the Aslan being mentioned in Rats & Cats and in the same way Mongoose uses it.

Kafka,

Compare and contrast the following:

This from Solomani & Aslan:

Aslan have less psionic potential than humans, and psionic practices are rare in the Hierate, with few psionic research establishments to be found. Psionics remain almost non-existent in the Colonies as well. Because of the lesser psionic potential among the Aslan, the rare psionic study center that does exist often falls short in knowledge and expertise when compared to human psionic institutes.

Still, assassins are those most attracted to the use of psionics. Also, two rival clans in the Colonies do make regular use of psionics: (snip)

Apply a -2 DM per 8 ftahea over an age of 8 ftahea when Aslan take a psionic examination.

As an Aslan ages, psionic strength deteriorates dramatically.

Psionically talented Aslan must pay a higher psionic strength point cost to affect the minds of aliens. See the Aslan Psionics Against Other Races table for the specific costs.

And this from MgT: Aslan:

Psionic ability is virtually unheard-of among the Aslan and there is some doubt as to whether or not the race is naturally psionic. The few known cases of Aslan possessing such abilities are all shrouded in either mysticism or can be attributed to genetic
manipulation or alien technology. Aslan Player Characters may not possess any psionic ability at the start of the game.

In S&A we're told that Aslan use psionics is rare primarily due to a lack of testing and educational institutes of psionics in the Heirate. We're also told that assassins are attracted to psionics use and two named colonial clans regularly use them. We're then told how to model Aslan psionics is game terms with varying DMs for testing and different costs for psionic use listed in an actual table.

In MgT:A, we're told that psionic Aslan are unheard of, that there are doubts as to whether the race is psionic, and that the few known cases have been explained away as the results of geneering or the effects of alien technology. We're also explicitly told that Aslan characters cannot possess any psionic ability at the beginning of a game.

There's a great difference between those two explanations of Aslan psionics.

Quote:
Furthermore, it is how I have used IMTU.
That's nice. This isn't about your Traveller universe however. This is about the Official Traveller Universe.

Quote:
Therefore, seeing it in print makes me smile slightly. It could be that it was product of the same diseased imagination or simply a logical outgrowth or there was some small marginal reference which stuck in my head.
It's a product of little or no research or desire to research on Mongoose's part and a dim recollection on your part. You making changes to YTU is both expected and encouraged. A publisher making changes to the OTU another thing entirely.

Quote:
But, just as the Hivers were not psionic then TNE made them.
TNE did no such thing. All it did was introduce one specific psionic attribute for Hiver Dreamers that could only be applied by GM fiat. There were no DMs, no skill tables, no psionic strength point costs, nothing to make the Dreaming ability a part of chargen or a part of the game beyond that of GM fiat.

Quote:
If all things have to go back to CT roots then Mongoose does not stand a chance of succeeding with gognards.
You've got that backwards. It's Mongoose's disdain for previous material that means MgT is disliked by grognards. It's players new to Traveller who don't care and they don't care because they don't know.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Whipsnade; June 16th, 2009 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: spelling & Aslan vs Asian! (Thanx Mal!)
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
This grognard would be satisfied if they did their homework and didn't change things unless they needed to be changed.
It feels like to me that they hire a write who scans some Traveller canon. This writer thinks he "gets it" because he read the first sentence from every parapraph (heck, he didn't have time to read all that crap!). And, then he goes off and writes what he wants.

When what he writes breaks 30 years of established canon, Mongoose simply retcons it. "This is the way it is now."

I don't like it. Not one bit.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Psion Citizen

I like the art.

I like Gar's writing.

The psionics sidebar is a minor thing, easily ignored. But wrong. Sigh.

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psion View Post
I like the art.

I like Gar's writing.

When the preview includes stuff that is obviously wrong, it makes me wary of the overall product.

Prior Aslan were not so "leonine" and just generally felinoid. The art is all right as artwork, but not commensurate with the fully upright stance and gracile bodies of the AM1 and S&A aslan; these guys are 3/4 upright, looking more robust as well.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psion View Post
I like the art.

Psion,

I've no trouble with the art as art. It's as good, if not better, than that found in other RPGs. I do have trouble with the text stating "the Aslan bear little resemblance to Terrestrial lions" and the following page have several Aslan figures which look exactly like bipedal lions in combat armor.

Quote:
I like Gar's writing.
Mechanically it's clear and flows well. The information within the text is the problem.

I've a wonderfully written book covering 18th Century land battles, simply beautiful prose throughout. It also refers to Pickett's Charge as a cavalry attack. Sort of ruins the book for me.

Quote:
Minor, unless you as a player want to play psionic Aslan assassins or you as a GM want to use the psionically adept Yeoil Kew clan of the Trojan Reach. Then the problem isn't minor anymore. And if you aren't familiar with real Traveller you won't know enough to ignore the side bar.

You know what's really sad? There's a psionic Aslan clan in the Trojan Reach, the Reach is the astrographic setting provided in the new book, and Mongoose's usual shoddy research has removed any option for MgT players to use that clan when they failed to provide psionic rules for the Aslan. For all their bleating about providing more options for Traveller, they've actually removed an option here.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Whipsnade; June 11th, 2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

beowulf2044 Citizen

Reading these posts strikes a familier chord with me as to the comment that the canonical information simply exists. It's the same reaction I have whenever I watch some later incarnation of Star Trek (Cripes, I have the -expletive deleted- Technical Manual, why don't these -expletive deleted- TV writers?)
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
G. Kashkanun Anderson Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Reference to the Sindal Empire controlling most of the sector is also at odds with canon.
In their defense, you actually misread what they wrote. The material states that much of the sector was under control of the Sindalian Empire, not most. And that is arguably true.

On the other hand, Mongoose, it's pronounced Sirka ... as in Ziru Sirka. "Ziru Sirku" actually means "rulership over the infallible ants."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
I've no trouble with the art as art. It's as good, if not better, than that found in other RPGs. I do have trouble with the text stating "the Aslan bear little resemblance to Terrestrial lions" and the following page have several Aslan figures which look exactly like bipedal lions in combat armor.
Thank. You. That is almost word-for-word the first reaction I had when I took a gander at that preview. Then again, since they had already put a curvy lion-chick vogue-ing on the cover of their Spinward Marches book, I had already been braced for that reality anyway.
Closed Thread